Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
...Overall, I put AA just barely ahead of WN on the "truly unpleasant to fly" scale. UA is much better...
Although - at least with Southwest (during normal operations), one knows what to expect and one is not often disappointed/surprised (relative to expectations). The gap between expectations and reality provides more opportunities for the legacies to disappoint.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
What about the United Club vs Admirals Club - it looks like the food offerings are a bit more substantial at the UC?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAdamE
What about the United Club vs Admirals Club - it looks like the food offerings are a bit more substantial at the UC?
I would rate ACs ahead of UCs. You can barely get any real food these days from UCs, and the zoo-like environment is a turn off for me.

I have been flying AA quite a bit lately (about 1/3 of my 89 flights so far this year), and I am liking AA more and more. You can see a lot of its employees and contractors take pride in what they do, and treat passengers like humans (vs. United only if you have VIP status). Yesterday I was onboard an AA flight, and the lead GA gave a moving speech about service members, including those on board.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It really varies by station. AA has in general been much better about reopening clubs, while UA has been focused on keeping costs down by only opening clubs at stations where there is significant clubmember traffic. AA has also been much quicker to announce reopening of its premium (Flagship) lounges.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Although - at least with Southwest (during normal operations), one knows what to expect and one is not often disappointed/surprised (relative to expectations).
Yeah, except with WN these days what you should expect is a completely full flight, a flight delay, and possibly a cancel.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Generally agree with all the recent comments, especially about UAs more reliable operation as well as far superior IT.

That said, I've also had many pleasant AA flights this year, and my upgrade percentage is still a lot higher on AA (probably not unexpected out of SFO).

I'll echo the comment about AA offering good redemption value though. They often offer sub-25k one-way domestic awards in F, while UA wants >25k for SFO-LAX/PHX???
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by econ
Generally agree with all the recent comments, especially about UAs more reliable operation as well as far superior IT.

That said, I've also had many pleasant AA flights this year, and my upgrade percentage is still a lot higher on AA (probably not unexpected out of SFO).

I'll echo the comment about AA offering good redemption value though. They often offer sub-25k one-way domestic awards in F, while UA wants >25k for SFO-LAX/PHX???
This brings up a question every frequent flyer has to answer for themselves: What award travel is important to me?

Several years ago I ran into some guys in a UC participating in one of those Mega DO junkets. In chatting with one, he told me to not spend any miles on a domestic ticket… you can always find cheap ones to buy if you dig just a little. Instead, he said save your miles for where they really count: INTL J. It’s been commented *A has more to offer in that regard (historically) than OW but everyone has to examine that against their own needs and wants.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Aug 31, 2021 at 6:13 am
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would rate ACs ahead of UCs. You can barely get any real food these days from UCs, and the zoo-like environment is a turn off for me.
It really varies by station. AA has in general been much better about reopening clubs, while UA has been focused on keeping costs down by only opening clubs at stations where there is significant clubmember traffic.
As a life member of both the United Club and the Admirals Club since the early 2000s, who currently seldom travels, I appreciate this insight.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
This brings up a question every frequent flyer has to answer for themselves: What award travel is important to me?

Several years ago I ran into some guys in a UC participating in one of those Mega DO junkets. In chatting with one, he told me to not spend any miles on a domestic ticket… you can always find cheap ones to buy if you dig just a little. Instead, he said save your miles for where they really count: INTL J. It’s been commented *A has more to offer in that regard (historically) than OW but everyone has to examine that against their own needs and wants.
Ran into a lot of really expensive (domestic) fares the past few weeks; dug a little meant multiple connections, but still priced really high when the entire plane is more or less sold out to every last seat. Delta has the best domestic award options (and they would earn toward elite status); I also redeemed a bunch through AA web specials. UA, meanwhile, was charging as much as 5-10 times more, and in parallel with its cash fares.

UA award options suck bigly after it has moved to dynamic.

If I see an award with good value relative to its cash fare, I'll grab it, regardless of the carrier. Miles devalue over time, and I am not hoarding them just waiting for INTL J saver space.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Delta has the best domestic award options
Yup. We used to make fun of SkyPesos. Now UA miles are the sad joke.
econ and Repooc17 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
I recently made the switch from AA to UA, mostly influenced by the whole UnitedNext initiative they got going on. As a former AA PlatPro, its quite sad to see the state the airline was in, having experienced multiple times in which non revs would push me off the upgrade list, the service cutbacks, and overall, the Oasis experience. Of course its harder for me living in Miami to fly united anywhere convenient, but the IAH/ORD layovers make it so much more worth it.
unitedbusiness and AAdamE like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
IME there's been a big shift the past three to six months. AA has killed advance upgrade space on the premium t-cons and my upgrades have stopped clearing at T-100.

Overall, I put AA just barely ahead of WN on the "truly unpleasant to fly" scale. UA is much better (with AS the clear winner IMO).
Interesting. I haven't been on a premium transcon since the start of the year (one of the flights my upgrade didn't clear, lol). I've been flying mainly midcons and have had good success. Plus, my DFW-Hawaii flights this year cleared, which was important to me.
uanj and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by itripreport
I recently made the switch from AA to UA, mostly influenced by the whole UnitedNext initiative they got going on. As a former AA PlatPro, its quite sad to see the state the airline was in, having experienced multiple times in which non revs would push me off the upgrade list, the service cutbacks, and overall, the Oasis experience. Of course its harder for me living in Miami to fly united anywhere convenient, but the IAH/ORD layovers make it so much more worth it.
Yea it feels like covid for AA employees is a one of those money machines full of rouge employee actions and Parker can't really stop it, or doesn't really care.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yea it feels like covid for AA employees is a one of those money machines full of rouge employee actions and Parker can't really stop it, or doesn't really care.
Perhaps some other rogue employees will make it up to you. 🙂
PTahCha, higher_flyer and DELee like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by itripreport
Just don't expect to catch CPUs on UA for hub-to-hub routes. They are non-existent. Even using PlusPoints on transcon routes is impossible. I imagine that the same is true at AA, so likely no difference between them in that regard. Sometimes, I think those leaving other carriers believe that they will be treated better as a 1K on UA than as a ExecPlat or Diamond Medallion. This is not the case.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio

While UA intl J award availability is not always there, you can often find seats on partners and that way experience airlines you would not normally take. That is one aspect of the Star Alliance I really appreciate.

Yup. We used to make fun of SkyPesos. Now UA miles are the sad joke.
Agreed. DL was really bad with premium award inventory pre-pandemic but during the pandemic UA has been giving DL a run for their money. Hopefully we will see soon how things shake out post-pandemic. Either program can be useful if you are flexible in your travel dates. But if not, hard to find any decent redemptions in classes above Y. On UA from this month on availability is loosening up a bit.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Just don't expect to catch CPUs on UA for hub-to-hub routes. They are non-existent. Even using PlusPoints on transcon routes is impossible. I imagine that the same is true at AA, so likely no difference between them in that regard. Sometimes, I think those leaving other carriers believe that they will be treated better as a 1K on UA than as a ExecPlat or Diamond Medallion. This is not the case.
UA had cut their schedule back too far. Schedules for the fall look better, let's hope they stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.