Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Just don't expect to catch CPUs on UA for hub-to-hub routes. They are non-existent. Even using PlusPoints on transcon routes is impossible. I imagine that the same is true at AA, so likely no difference between them in that regard. Sometimes, I think those leaving other carriers believe that they will be treated better as a 1K on UA than as a ExecPlat or Diamond Medallion. This is not the case.
Oh no even better, I underestimated how elite heavy Miami is for United. Upgrade lists are usually 10-30 people, with a few of my 1K friends even agreeing that receiving an upgrade is almost nonexistent... but hey, I don't blame them for avoiding american haha.

Haha yeah, United's program is def not my favorite, but I'd rather deal with that than the "500 mile upgrades", or even the very often case of AA gate agents skipping the upgrade list to upgrade non revs into first class, let alone... Oasis...
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
If you are DFW based EXP upgrade % for me YTD is 24%
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by itripreport
Oh no even better, I underestimated how elite heavy Miami is for United. Upgrade lists are usually 10-30 people, with a few of my 1K friends even agreeing that receiving an upgrade is almost nonexistent... but hey, I don't blame them for avoiding american haha.

Haha yeah, United's program is def not my favorite, but I'd rather deal with that than the "500 mile upgrades", or even the very often case of AA gate agents skipping the upgrade list to upgrade non revs into first class, let alone... Oasis...
Bingo
itripreport likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Upgrade potential: DEN vs IAH

Researching switching my flying to UA and wondering if anyone sees a difference in upgrades between DEN and IAH. I live in a smaller city (ABQ) and would be primarily connecting through those two.

Also, does anyone notice any differences between the two cities with time of day, day of week, or inbound/outbound? For example, does IAH tend to have more commuter traffic and therefore fewer upgrades during rush hour?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:09 am

DFW (AA) vs IAH (UA): Upgrades

Looking at switching status pursuit and UA/AA are my main two options out of my home airport (ABQ). Wondering if anyone out there happens to have recent experience (or heard of anything on this forum) about upgrade potential with equivalent elite status when connecting through DFW on American vs IAH on United. Also, if there are any intermediary variables (eg rush hour in DFW is much lower odds than IAH but midday is much better).

Thanks folks
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
Researching switching my flying to UA and wondering if anyone sees a difference in upgrades between DEN and IAH. I live in a smaller city (ABQ) and would be primarily connecting through those two.

Also, does anyone notice any differences between the two cities with time of day, day of week, or inbound/outbound? For example, does IAH tend to have more commuter traffic and therefore fewer upgrades during rush hour?
Both airports are seeing larger volumes of passengers vs. other hubs in United's network. From a time of day perspective, busyness will be driven by which banks of flights you are seeking to connect into from ABQ and to where.

From someone who connects through the two, DEN's terminal system has worked better for me as a connector historically since UA's flights were principally out of Terminal/Concourse B but that is changing with flights out of A. IAH can be a pain to navigate given the sheer number of terminals and where they put big planes vs. smaller UX planes so my longest runs between terminals and connections have been at IAH.

Additionally right now, from a club perspective DEN has only one UC for the next 12 months. IAH has multiple UCs that are finally reopening.

I would say upgrades are driven by when you fly and the sizes of aircraft as well as which cities you fly to. If you decide to go toe-to-toe with other UA elites during the AM and PM flight banks, you're going to have challenges.

David
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Looking at switching status pursuit and UA/AA are my main two options out of my home airport (ABQ). Wondering if anyone out there happens to have recent experience (or heard of anything on this forum) about upgrade potential with equivalent elite status when connecting through DFW on American vs IAH on United. Also, if there are any intermediary variables (eg rush hour in DFW is much lower odds than IAH but midday is much better).

Thanks folks
These two airports are captive of their respective airlines and drive traffic and costs accordingly. I'd say this is 6 of one and half-dozen of another.

David
boss315 and BlueZebra like this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by FinnTheHuman
For those that got successfully upgraded on Germany to SFO routes jasonp622 kittiyut (FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO) how did the available fare classes look like at booking time? I'm flying to SFO one-way soon (big move) and would really like that flight to be in Polaris... I have 40 PP that'll expire EOY that would be nice to use. Had good success in the past pre-pandemic but that's a long time ago... wondering what numbers one should look for atm to get great chances for an upgrade. And maybe what day of the week is best, if you have past experiences too. I see some available flights with comfirmed upgrades next week (before the grand reopen on November 8) but only waitlists after. No sure if that has to do with it just being more than a week out, or with the US border reopening on November 8 to Europe.
I flew FRA-SFO on Oct 24th and few days before the flight it was 45/60 booked and I was 20th in the upgrade list (as a 1K with the cheapest booked fare). Something must have happened but 10 more people behind me in the list (everyone) ended up upgraded and I believe there were even couple of seats empty both in Polaris and Premium Economy Plus.

I was booking the flight in the middle of september and I never seen any PZ space on any of the trans-atlantic flights.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm taking a guess - but I suspect you would be competing with more AA flyers out of ABQ than UA flyers. DFW is the second highest destination out of ABQ while IAH does not even make the top 10.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
One of the biggest difference between UA and AA's program is that only CK, EXP, and PPro have unlimited free upgrades - all other elites need to use stickers to upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bodik
I flew FRA-SFO on Oct 24th and few days before the flight it was 45/60 booked and I was 20th in the upgrade list (as a 1K with the cheapest booked fare). Something must have happened but 10 more people behind me in the list (everyone) ended up upgraded and I believe there were even couple of seats empty both in Polaris and Premium Economy Plus.

I was booking the flight in the middle of september and I never seen any PZ space on any of the trans-atlantic flights.
Did you also clear? How many cleared in the end? The 45/60 count might have included blocked inventory if Economy was oversold.

Aside: 20th as 1K even on a cheap fare is kind of surprising.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm taking a guess - but I suspect you would be competing with more AA flyers out of ABQ than UA flyers. DFW is the second highest destination out of ABQ while IAH does not even make the top 10.
Oh fascinating. I guess United is just routing all their traffic through Denver. Where did you get that info? Would love to check it out.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
One of the biggest difference between UA and AA's program is that only CK, EXP, and PPro have unlimited free upgrades - all other elites need to use stickers to upgrade.
Thanks - I think I’d make PPro so should be good.

Originally Posted by DELee
These two airports are captive of their respective airlines and drive traffic and costs accordingly. I'd say this is 6 of one and half-dozen of another.

David
This was my initial guess.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 30, 2021 at 2:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Both airports are seeing larger volumes of passengers vs. other hubs in United's network. From a time of day perspective, busyness will be driven by which banks of flights you are seeking to connect into from ABQ and to where.

From someone who connects through the two, DEN's terminal system has worked better for me as a connector historically since UA's flights were principally out of Terminal/Concourse B but that is changing with flights out of A. IAH can be a pain to navigate given the sheer number of terminals and where they put big planes vs. smaller UX planes so my longest runs between terminals and connections have been at IAH.

Additionally right now, from a club perspective DEN has only one UC for the next 12 months. IAH has multiple UCs that are finally reopening.

I would say upgrades are driven by when you fly and the sizes of aircraft as well as which cities you fly to. If you decide to go toe-to-toe with other UA elites during the AM and PM flight banks, you're going to have challenges.

David
Thanks David - sounds like Denver is the clear winner.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Oh fascinating. I guess United is just routing all their traffic through Denver. Where did you get that info? Would love to check it out.
Albuquerque International Sunport - Wikipedia
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Thanks. So, interestingly I looked at flight connections and they list DFW as 3rd (199 flights) and IAH as 5th (153). Phoenix, LA, and Denver are the others in the top 5, but are all served by multiple airlines, so those are skewed.

It does look like American has more flights to DFW than UA does to IAH, but this doesn’t say anything about load. For example, if the United flights were always full, but AA flights were at 85% capacity, that would theoretically be more advantageous for upgrades. Also, more flights midday from American may mean more flights where there are fewer business class folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.