Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Leaving AA for UA

Hi all. I posted over in the DL forum to compare my previous experience with DL with the way things are currently and what to expect switching from AA.

My company's travel policy and preferred vendors will change beginning 15 March and they have dropped AA and WN as preferred vendors and added B6 (AC, DL and UA continue to be preferred). So with the change I will be saying good bye to AA. I used to fly DL regularly (was a PM) until 2012 and have been with AA and a little bit of pmUS since. Overall, I am happy with AA and wouldn't leave had our new travel guidelines allowed me to continue with them.

I am currently a UA Silver (via Marriott PP status) but don't use UA too often, although I had a couple of UA mainline and AC codeshare flights last year. The benefit of being in Star Alliance is a huge draw to me vs. DL/SkyTeam since I have a pretty high percentage of my clients/trips in Canada. My home airports are TPA and SRQ (Sarasota).

I am basically looking for folks that recently moved over from AA to UA or from DL to UA to get some idea on how UA stacks up against DL and also how they compare with AA (again, I am happy with AA but am being forced to switch due to a change in company travel guidelines).
Due to DL's higher criteria (Miles and segments) for Diamond, I would only be able to maintain Platinum with them. With UA however, I would be able to maintain 1K, as I maintain EXP with AA. Not sure how much of an advantage over DL this is however. So overall, how does the hard product stack-up at UA when compared with AA or DL? How about employees and the United Club? Also, it seems in reading some of the threads on this board that it is very difficult to upgrade as a 1K, is this true?
I am thinking DL has advantages over AA and UA, but I am drawn to UA due to Star Alliance, especially with my large Canadian client base and the partnerships with Air Canada.

Also, in terms of alliances, how do you feel Star compares with the others?

Thanks for your time.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
So overall, how does the hard product stack-up at UA when compared with AA or DL?
Mixed bag. Depends on travel region (domestic/nearby vs longhaul), cabin (premium vs coach), and preferences.

How about employees and the United Club?
Delta employees try. They want you to get to your destination on time. UA not so much.

UC is a joke, but not much behind SC.

Also, it seems in reading some of the threads on this board that it is very difficult to upgrade as a 1K, is this true?
Generally yes domestically, all three majors are engaging in extensive first class monetization (i.e. actually selling it) these days. OTOH it's generally pretty reasonably priced ($50/hr or less) to buy first over coach domestically.

Internationally it depends a lot on route, some have any easy time selling out (i.e. SYD, EZE, etc) while others are generally easy (AMS).

Also, in terms of alliances, how do you feel Star compares with the others?
On most continents *A has the most/most good/best airlines, some continents they completely dominate (Africa), but they do have one weak spot (South America).

*A is the only alliance where earning is based on operating carrier/operating carrier's fare class (which may differ from marketing carrier's) rather than marketing carrier, so be aware of that. Also be aware of AC tango and LH light fares, which are like UA's new basic economy.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mduell

Generally yes domestically, all three majors are engaging in extensive first class monetization (i.e. actually selling it) these days. OTOH it's generally pretty reasonably priced ($50/hr or less) to buy first over coach domestically.

Internationally it depends a lot on route, some have any easy time selling out (i.e. SYD, EZE, etc) while others are generally easy (AMS).

On most continents *A has the most/most good/best airlines, some continents they completely dominate (Africa), but they do have one weak spot (South America).

*A is the only alliance where earning is based on operating carrier/operating carrier's fare class (which may differ from marketing carrier's) rather than marketing carrier, so be aware of that. Also be aware of AC tango and LH light fares, which are like UA's new basic economy.
Thanks for the reply. Good info on the Tango fares, I would not have known that nor would I have known that mileage earnings were based upon the operating carrier's fare class and not that of the marketing carrier. I hear ya on the FCM, AA does this too, although I still have a decent upgrade percentage so long as the flight does not connect at ORD or DFW, it seems this is worse on the UA and DL sides, but I really don't know. Either way, per company policy, I cannot buy F, even if it is cheaper than Y, but I can purchase check-in upgrades, which I have before as a UA silver.

How does accessing non-UA *A lounges work on domestic itineraries? I thought it was allowable, but back when I had a US Airways Club membership (and was US *A Gold, flying US), I was denied access to a *A lounge at MIA (can't remember the airline).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... How does accessing non-UA *A lounges work on domestic itineraries? ....
Yes it works for *G (including UA *G). Such as LH @ IAD & DTW. There are issues at SFO (SQ & BR lounges don't provide access for domestic travel, but those lounges are closing later this year). All in all, there aren't that many.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:34 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
ANOTHER AA vs UA TOP TIER COMPARISON

So, I just finished 36,000+ BIS in 30 days on UA for the 1K challenge, after matching from AA EXP. I would like to summarize the good and bad of UA vs AA top tier, IMO, as I’ve had some international as well as domestic experiences that vary quite a lot between the two. The UA flights I had were:

MCO-EWR in paid P;
EWR-SFO-SIN coach to SFO and popup UPG at check-in for SFO-SIN for $1059, midweek;
Thursday HKG-SFO-IAD with a miles+ copay UPG on HKG-SFO;
IAD-SFO-LAS-DEN-IAD with a complimentary UPG on the IAD-SFO (I did a SDC so in fairness my original itinerary was IAD-LAX-LAS-LAX-IAD and UPG’s for the LAX-LAS-LAX segments cleared about 96 hrs out but it would have been a miracle for the long haul flights to clear even on the Sat I was flying and
IAD-SFO-HKG all in coach with no chance for an UPG on a Monday morning which is always difficult.

Pro:

1. I like the lie-flat seats on the domestic 757 segments since most of AA’s domestic routes are recliners and the few remaining 767’s, 787’s, and 777’s used for domestic segments are disappearing rapidly. AA’s A321 (aka Parker Specials,) generally don’t have IFE nor power outlets at the seats, except the A321T used for transcons between LAX/SFO-JFK. Also, I like UA’s 737-900 more than AA’s 737-800 series as it just seems more spacious and stable;

2. The food on board is better on UA, especially the hot entries that 1K’s can get in coach, since UPG’s are hard to come by. AA gives EXP’s a food and beverage free in coach, but the quality of the items is poor and nothing hot;

3. The seats have better/softer cushioning than AA’s harder product. Maybe a little subjective;

4.The UA website has more information, especially in expert mode, so SDC’s are easier. I still found that calling 1K was easier than doing it online, especially since I knew which flights I wanted that had the same fare basis and possible UPG space;

5. UA’s IFE has a slightly better selection and quality of shows, especially the TV show box sets, which on AA you only get a few episodes of;

6. The FA’s on UA seemed friendlier, maybe because it seemed that they knew I was on a challenge. But, they were more proactive in most areas, refilling drinks, smiling, etc. AA FA’s always seem to be in a bad mood;

7. The boarding process is more organized with the individual lanes; and

8. While AA’s EXP desk is pretty good, there seem to be a number of former USAir agents assigned there who still don’t know things or “get it” vs UA’s more pleasant, knowledgeable 1K agents. Maybe it’s the way they say “no” that is better;

Cons:

1. International UPG’s are too expensive and difficult. The W or higher fare required for GPU’s looks like a poor value choice as the UPG experience seems to be difficult and the international hard product is substandard compared to AA, though the SFO-SIN flight had many on the list UPG’d. The $600 copay for miles UPG is much higher than AA’s $250-350, and AA SWU’s work on all fares, and I've had close to 100% success using AA SWU's, especially with the 12 month rolling EQD factor for prioritizing the UPG list, as my EQD totals appear to be decent enough to get me at or close to the top of the list. On UA, I'm usually way down the list. The $1059 I paid for the SFO-SIN UPG was a poor value as it went into a front cabin 2-2-2 configured 787-900, while AA offers 1-2-1 on their 787 product. Plus, UA’s seat had a very small area for your feet, angled so turning was difficult. I’m not even 6’, and I found it tight. The popup offer for my HKG-SFO was an absurd $2059, so I used miles+copay, still a poor value, (see the Polaris seat issues below,) but then I paid very little for both on my UA international tickets, so I could justify the cost and wanted to experience the UA product;

2. Domestic UPG’s seem to be difficult and require better planning. SDC’s appear to cause UPG’s chances to disappear, though I did get an UPG on my SDC’d IAD-SFO because they changed equipment to a 7 row front cabin 757. And, no complimentary UPG’s on transcons (SFO-EWR etc,) without use of miles+copay or RPU’s. My success rate for complimentary UPG’s on AA is over 90%, but it’s on a larger sample of flights than my UA experience. And, LAX/SFO-JFK on the nice AA A321T three class is difficult as well, but, I’ve had better than 50% success rate on those also. Many passengers I spoke with on my UA flights had negative things to say about their success in getting UPG’s;

3. The Polaris seat is just plain awful, except compared to the sardine feeling in coach. I had a window in the single seat configuration and there is about 6 to 7 inches of wasted space along the wall, with a metal tube that contains the seat controls protruding into the sleeping area. AA’s window seats on the 77W generally have a wider feel since you have no obstructions to sleeping. Plus, the tray with sharp edges, being below the screen and cubby, interferes with leg movement in sleeping position. Seems the expansive amount of plastic shell could have been better designed for improved ergonomics;

4. While the lie-flat seats on the 757’s were great, the exit row in coach was another story. My SFO-EWR flights had a 757 that was older than dirt, and the slide housing was obviously pulled away from the door with the insulating flap a good 2 to 3 inches from sealing the door frame, so there was a steady -51 degree draft “blowing” on me even in 7C all the way to EWR. Taking your shoes off results in frozen feet, which is not pleasant. And, no blankets, though it may have been a loading issue as the FA’s keep looking for them. Fortunately, I brought my own pillow and blanket as I planned on at least one long haul coach segment; and

5. No admission to the UC and *A FC lounges (SQ’s SIN Business/FC lounge and UC FC at Term G at SFO in particular,) without a business or FC ticket, whereas AA’s Flagship Lounges and FC dining, plus OW FC lounges (especially the CX HKG FC Wing, JL’s FC Sakura at NRT, BA’s FC at LHR, and LAX’s QF FC lounge,) permitted on any fare for EXP’s and seem generally better overall, based upon my limited experience with some of those *A lounges; and

6. I noticed an pattern of passenger attitude problems, primarily DYKWIA syndrome, more prevalent on UA than AA. Again, with the smaller sample size on UA.

I’m sure there may be a way to improve the experience on UA, I just don’t see the value position there. Especially since BKK has been slighted by all airlines for TPAC, though maybe TG will eventually get around to completing their approval to start flying to the US. I have 1K thru 2/2019, so I’ll keep trying, but it seems that requalification may be difficult, even with my non-US address eliminating the PQD requirement. As with AA, I feel the use of premium cabins on alliance partners to be the best alternative: for me QR the long way or CX on OW and SQ or OS, again the long way, in *A.

Last edited by rbAA; Dec 7, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Nicely done

Very comprehensive analysis given sample size. Upgrades are disappearing with Ua and the value prop is dying on the vine. Too bad I’m based in Chicago. Still tempting to make the switch as the last several flights have all had failed UG even with RPU
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by rbAA
....The Polaris seat is just plain awful, except compared to the sardine feeling in coach. I had a window in the single seat configuration and there is about 6 to 7 inches of wasted space along the wall, with a metal tube that contains the seat controls protruding into the sleeping area. .....
I actually like the Polaris seats except for this. A huge design flaw,, IMO
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:48 pm

But audio selection is non-existent, other than a few audio books and some relaxation music!

5. UA’s IFE has a slightly better selection and quality of shows, especially the TV show box sets, which on AA you only get a few episodes of;
*G will get you into UC as well as Krisflyer Gold and SilverKris lounge in Changi

5. No admission to the UC and *A FC lounges (SQ’s SIN Business/FC lounge and UC FC at Term G at SFO in particular,) without a business or FC ticket, whereas AA’s Flagship Lounges and FC dining, plus OW FC lounges (especially the CX HKG FC Wing, JL’s FC Sakura at NRT, BA’s FC at LHR, and LAX’s QF FC lounge,) permitted on any fare for EXP’s and seem generally better overall, based upon my limited experience with some of those *A lounges;

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by malgudi
*G will get you into UC as well as Krisflyer Gold and SilverKris lounge in Changi
*G will not get you into the SilverKris lounge at SIN. There is no UC at SIN. *G are relegated to the KF Gold lounge, with no restrooms, no showers, and limited food offerings.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:53 pm

I meant UC in general, am aware there's no UC in Changi

I thought OP was in Business from SIN, hence the SilverKris suggestion.

Originally Posted by Kacee
*G will not get you into the SilverKris lounge at SIN. There is no UC at SIN. *G are relegated to the KF Gold lounge, with no restrooms, no showers, and limited food offerings.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:02 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly, the *Gold lounge is marginal compared to the SQ Business and FC lounge down the hall.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:04 pm

I meant UC in general, am aware there's no UC in Changi

I thought OP was in Business from SIN, hence the SilverKris suggestion.
I arrived in business, but had a TG coach ticket onward, so they wouldn't take that. I met a pax from the LAX-SIN flight that had paid business so he got me in.

My point was that a Y ticket doesn't get you in the nice lounges the way it will on AA.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:08 pm

But audio selection is non-existent, other than a few audio books and some relaxation music!
Right I noticed that as well, but I think most people have their own music downloaded so I seldom bother with the audio selections. Well, I have been on some other airlines with decent audio selections, but AA's is better than UA's obviously, since UA doesn't have any.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Right I noticed that as well, but I think most people have their own music downloaded so I seldom bother with the audio selections. Well, I have been on some other airlines with decent audio selections, but AA's is better than UA's obviously, since UA doesn't have any.
This continues to annoy me. I fail to understand why UA isn't interested in supplying audio selections, like most other airlines, relying on pax to supply their own music selections. How much money does it cost to offer classical music selections, which do not go out of date!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
... on UA, I just don’t see the value position there.... As with AA, I feel the use of premium cabins on alliance partners to be the best alternative: for me QR the long way or CX on OW and SQ or OS, again the long way, in *A.
Totally agree. Unless you are captive to UA's hubs and nonstop flights, there is no reason to go out of your way to patronize UA. Although IMO there aren't significant differences among the US3, right now I am content with AA. I'm loving the opportunities to have flown JL and CX (although much more the former than the latter), and looking forward to flying QR soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.