Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by bluepig1
I’ve been GS for 3 years out of ORD. Below is the qualifying history. For this year I’m likely to finish the year at PQM 183k and PQD $48k. Nervous about requalifying because the PQM are a bit low, and GS is important to me given frequency of travel (2-3 domestic flights almost every week). All travel this year was on UA Metal, and my travel is Corporate, typically fully refundable. Worth doing a ~$1700 mileage run for another ~17k PQM, and get closer to $50k PQD? seat availability is ugly on the mileage run so I’d be on a long 9 hour flight in middle economy - so would rather not if I don’t need to (never mind the $1700). Would you do it?

PQM 222k

PQD 48k

PQM 198k

PQD 39k

PQM 230k

PQD 56k

yea. Cause they’re no guarantees.

pros. Youre in historical spending for requal
You’re requal vs new so I think that’s a plus.
Refundable fares.
cons. Didn’t get notified yet
sub $50 k this year
ORD hub means more competition

better safe than sorry. But $1900 plus 9 hours as a clam means to me to ask the question how much real value to you get being a GS besides the glory of it all.

Last edited by saccoNY; Dec 17, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: Change
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
His three year spend is greater than $100K, not less....
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I am not sure the notifications are coming day by day. It may just seem that way based upon when people have time to check. I am not sure how you capture if they checked every day since notifications started.
Many people are actually giving the exact day they received a call or notification on their account. Others can most likely ball park it to a 2-3 days.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by drklain
His three year spend is greater than $100K, not less....
Yes. I stand corrected. Ty.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've seen lots of discussion on GS qualification being determined or "thought" to be determined by home hub competition with SFO and ORD being the toughest.

Question for the experts - how does United determine your home hub?

My home address with United is closest to RIC but I rarely if ever fly out of there as my office is in the DC area. My trips originate fairly evenly between BWI and IAD, and sometimes even EWR depending on where I am and how the schedule looks (traditionally EWR -> NRT arrives much earlier allowing me to make earlier HND transfer than if I took flight from IAD).

I'd be a first time GS qualifier this year if I make it (status prior to 2019 not so great though) and have no idea what I'd be compared to - RIC? IAD? BWI? EWR?

Thoughts?

2019 stats:
Nearly all travel international business
58K PQD (53K United metal)
155K PQM
45 PQS

2018: ~14-15K PQD UA metal

2017: < 5K PQD UA metal
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jp12687
date notified is on there-- I added "first letter of last name" as well now for future answers
Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
My Status currently down for maintenance so probably more invites going out today.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
It's up for me and still says check back January 10th.
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:08 pm

Status

Does it only say check back on Jan 10 for existing GS?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by AugustusM
My Status currently down for maintenance so probably more invites going out today.
I was already notified of renewal last week. Now when I check I get an animation with a letter from Oscar welcoming me to GS (wasn’t there before)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Also already got the re-up. Since this year was the most crazy year of travel that I will never repeat, it was not a surprise.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by villox
I was already notified of renewal last week. Now when I check I get an animation with a letter from Oscar welcoming me to GS (wasn’t there before)
This popped up for me on Monday morning of this week ... the animation sadly only ran once - blink and you miss it!
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:53 am

2009-2017: 1K every year, PQD in the $15k-$35k. Never qualified for GS
2018: 226K PQM, $48,849 PQD ($46k on United metal). Didn't qualify. Requested review, declined. No challenge offered.

2019: (finished for the year) PQM: 320K, PQD: $64,570. All United Metal. 3 International J trips. Rest domestic first.

Based out of ORD.
Lifetime 1.3m miles
Checked Mystatus.united.com today. Still says Premier 1K. No email or voicemail.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: United GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, American Gold
Probably a dumb question but will ask anyways. 1st year as GS and have the Jan 10 message, so just patiently waiting. Since I already have 1K for 2020, will Plus Points be awarded in January or are they only given once I earn 1k again in 2020 for year 2021?

Also, anyone find it funny that I am on the bubble for GS so went ahead and already booked 3 trips for 2020 worth 17,885 PQP? Does this actually come into consideration for this year's review process?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:07 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Getting the "down for maintenance" for mystatus this AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.