Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I've seen only two Clear reps operating the kiosks at peak times at SFO. During slower times, I only see one person operating the machines.
personally, only had one instance of taking more than like 5 minutes to get through at SFO (I’m not counting that one time I had to clear a second time because I forgot to empty my water bottle before coming through, and so TSA made me go back - thankfully was with my wife so I didn’t have to schlep the rest of my bags out again). Otherwise, have definitely never seen lines longer than TSA pre-check.

as for ID checks, I’ve had the occasional, but nothing like what was mentioned upthread (just saw an article on that a few hours ago). But cleared through in late June no checks (domestic) and international last week, and no request for Id - both times my BP even pulled up in the system properly, for a long time, that seemed to be hit/miss, more miss. But seems to be working better this year.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
as for ID checks, I’ve had the occasional, but nothing like what was mentioned upthread (just saw an article on that a few hours ago). But cleared through in late June no checks (domestic) and international last week, and no request for Id - both times my BP even pulled up in the system properly, for a long time, that seemed to be hit/miss, more miss. But seems to be working better this year.
IME IROPS/last minute bookings significantly increase the chances of a "random" ID check -- and since "IROPS/last minute bookings" basically summarizes my -- and I'm sure many others -- last 6 weeks of flying that proportion has likely gone up. I was randomly verified in Cleveland this week and week before last -- both after flight cancelations and attendant rebooking before I got to the airport -- but today out of EWR A (with a PNR that can best be described as 'messed up' because a significant portion of UA's infrastructure is convinced I'm still in Dulles waiting for my inbound flight to LGA [I drove, I had the UC drop that segment before I left IAD since there were no viable options when my flight canceled] + a SDC to an earlier EWR-CLE), no issues at all -- nor did I see any of the pax around be getting pulled for verification.

Before those verifications the last time I got pulled was the first trip after I renewed my drivers license/updated it with CLEAR, and before that I can't remember the last verification...
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is a bit of talk in the CLEAR thread in the Trusted Traveler forum about how the TSA is forcing nearly all CLEAR customers to show ID due to a security breach of a person using CLEAR with a fake boarding pass.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lsquare
I've seen only two Clear reps operating the kiosks at peak times at SFO. During slower times, I only see one person operating the machines.
Huh. I've always chuckled at how many Clear reps seem to be standing around waiting for nobody when I've been at IAD and DCA.

As with others, if the Pre-Check line is relatively short I don't bother with Clear. It's not easier than pulling out an ID - just sometimes faster because of the line-cutting privilege.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
Huh. I've always chuckled at how many Clear reps seem to be standing around waiting for nobody when I've been at IAD and DCA.

As with others, if the Pre-Check line is relatively short I don't bother with Clear. It's not easier than pulling out an ID - just sometimes faster because of the line-cutting privilege.
Yeah, I've always been amazed that they went to market with such a human-intensive process. Every time I see all the employees I figure that's why they have to charge such a comical price.

I can't fathom paying actual money for Clear, although since with it as a free perk I will use it from time to time.
drewguy and CREN like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Saw on the news this morning CLEAR will be coming to HNL and OGG by the end of the year.

Precheck is fairly fast at HNL - haven't recently been to OGG but I've heard security lines can be long........
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Pre is quick at OGG. Based on a recent data point at around 10 or 11am, extremely long lines for regular security, but less than 10 people on the Pre.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
...I can't fathom paying actual money for Clear, although since with it as a free perk I will use it from time to time.
Same here. I use it most frequently at LAS, and there I can check out the Pre line to see if it's even worth going to the Clear kiosks. Maybe 50% of the time Clear is useful, but even then, it probably only gets me ahead of maybe 5-10 people at best.. Only one time (at Houston Hobby for a WN flight) do I recall it saving me truly significant time. Not sure Clear will be faster at HNL for me - - Pre's usually quick for the 7 or 8am flights I'm on. I probably wouldn't pay for it. What gets me is the people who insist on using it even if it's obviously faster to go straight to the Pre podium.

Airport security line-skipping service coming to Hawaii airports, but some urge caution (hawaiinewsnow.com)

(From link) "“We’re proud that 91.3% of people decide to keep their CLEAR Plus membership after signing up... We believe that’s a reflection of the passion people have for the CLEAR brand and the service we provide,” the company said." I guess I'm one of the 91.3% who decide to keep my CLEAR membership - because UA keeps paying the fee
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 3, 2023 at 1:05 pm
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
At OGG, regular lines are unpredictable but appear to move quickly. Pre-check rarely has a line of more than 2-3 people....sometimes, I am the only one and breeze right thru - hopefully they dont spoil that

DEN - on the other hand, the other day Pre-Check/Clear was the worst that I have ever seen - "glad I am not paying for this" - stepped into the pre-check only line next to it and zipped right thru with only a few people on line....got me thinking of why people would use Clear which wrapped around the side when the regular pre-check line was nothing..... they need to do something about this.....
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone else having a weird run of ID checks using clear? I am at 6/8 for my recent times using clear and getting the "random" ID check.

TSA says its a thing that clear initiates, not them. Is that true?
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fumje
Anyone else having a weird run of ID checks using clear? I am at 6/8 for my recent times using clear and getting the "random" ID check.

I have had a couple of them over the past months but figured it was just an anomaly.

More often, I am paying more attention to regular precheck line and using it when CLEAR is backed up. Finding it less and less a true benefit, but as others have said, as long as United keeps paying for it....
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

I had a run of this earlier in the year but not recently.

However my Clear experience is about to end. As a Plat I got first year free but then $109. With the often reported PreCheck being just as fast and id checks may, maybe not, the value proposition was getting more and more questionable. But with the fee increase for Plats to $149, I'm done. Back to PreCheck.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club

This will happen more and more due to Clear's failures over the past year.
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...mbers-show-ID#
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA-Platinum , Marriott- Lifetime Gold
I had a run this past Summer of about 5 consecutive .
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have had a couple of them over the past months but figured it was just an anomaly.

More often, I am paying more attention to regular precheck line and using it when CLEAR is backed up. Finding it less and less a true benefit, but as others have said, as long as United keeps paying for it....
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I had a run of this earlier in the year but not recently.

However my Clear experience is about to end. As a Plat I got first year free but then $109. With the often reported PreCheck being just as fast and id checks may, maybe not, the value proposition was getting more and more questionable. But with the fee increase for Plats to $149, I'm done. Back to PreCheck.
Yeah on regular-pre line often being as fast or faster, I have noticed that too. Seems like EWR is especially prone to people mindlessly filing into CLEAR while there are only a handful of people in the regular line.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
This will happen more and more due to Clear's failures over the past year.
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...mbers-show-ID#
​​​​​​​Interesting report. I had not heard of this. If CLEAR winds up changing and universally loses the waiver for ID-check, I don't think I'd bother with it even for the price of free.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.