Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC

KEY POINTS
  • The partnership includes United Airlines buying a stake in Clear, and is the latest example of an airline using biometric screening to move travelers through airports more quickly and with less hassle.
  • With 3.8 million members, Clear has been steadily expanding its presence since it was founded in 2010.
  • The agreement calls for Clear biometric screening kiosks to be added at the airline’s hub airports Chicago O’Hare, Houston International and Newark Liberty.
EWR764, boeingair and narvik like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
From CNBC

From CNBC article:

For United’s MileagePlus frequent flyer members, Clear memberships will offered for free or at discounted prices. Those MileagePlus members at the highest award levels will receive a complimentary Clear service every year. For other MileagePlus members, the $179 annual cost of Clear will be reduced to as low as $109 per year.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Similar content, but with a link (no sub required):

"Clear charges most members $179 annually, but United said it would enroll its top-tier frequent fliers free of charge and offer a discount to other members of its loyalty program."

from: https://www.thestreet.com/technology...clear-15035137

I wonder what "top-tier" means; GS, GS + 1K, GS + 1K + Plat, or GS + 1K + Plat + Gold?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
Similar content, but with a link (no sub required):

"Clear charges most members $179 annually, but United said it would enroll its top-tier frequent fliers free of charge and offer a discount to other members of its loyalty program."

from: https://www.thestreet.com/technology...clear-15035137

I wonder what "top-tier" means; GS, GS + 1K, GS + 1K + Plat, or GS + 1K + Plat + Gold?
GS & 1K, most likely. The rest of us are closer to the unwashed masses.
drewguy and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
So much for Clear being a "get to the front of the line" service. I enjoyed it while it lasted...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Delta only gives Clear to Diamond Medallion members.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have never looked into Clear before. What's the deal?
Can't imagine it lets you skip TSA entirely. Does it just replace the Doc Checker Stand or something?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have never looked into Clear before. What's the deal?
Can't imagine it lets you skip TSA entirely. Does it just replace the Doc Checker Stand or something?
Definitely ready to have this at EWR, although many questions (like where they'll put their kiosk at Terminal A).

From what I've seen at other airports, you go to the front of the Pre-check line, which at EWR would help depending on which Elites get it.

Hertz is also offering free Clear at some airports.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've paid $79 a year for Clear as a DL elite. I love it. You cut the pre-check line, they take you past the BP check to the conveyers. At EWR it could save waiting in a very long line.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Looks to be free for 1k and above? Saw a special promo video that United posted in Facebook. https://hub.united.com/united-mileageplus-member-clear-discount--2639440039.html
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
From united.com/clear:

MP general member: $119
Credit card holder: $109
Silver/Gold/Platinum: $109
1K/GS: Free
boeingair likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Nice. Just signed up for free
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Helpful hint: if you already have a Clear account, the link provided doesn't work for linking your MileagePlus account.

my.clearme.com/mileageplus
That's the link once you're logged in to add your MileagePlus number. Can confirm it is indeed free for 1Ks.
wilp888, FTLexMUC and Icydubloon like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Details posted to Hub. Free for 1K. $109 for all other elites. Interesting that GS not mentioned though I’m sure it will obviously be included.

​​
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
a general member who has never flown united gets to pay $119 for clear.

platinums (who spend $9000+ and fly up to 99.9k/year) pay $109.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.