Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes - they're a 1K, and that's all that matters. To be clear (haha) I can confirm this from experience not just theory.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by jrquad
Can some one share... Does 1K MM Companion Gets Clear Free?
Also a yes from me. My husband (my MM companion) has had free CLEAR for the past few years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
'

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I specifically got CLEAR in the past just because of the security line fiasco in DEN
United’s deal with CLEAR killed my relationship with CLEAR. I was happy paying $179 for the service but now everyone and their brother has it for free. DEN is my home and the CLEAR line on Monday at 10am had over 100 people in it. Regular Pre had maybe 20 people. My colleague went through the CLEAR line and I used standard Pre and I had finished my bagel and acoffee by the time he met me in Club.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by limey1K
United’s deal with CLEAR killed my relationship with CLEAR. I was happy paying $179 for the service but now everyone and their brother has it for free. DEN is my home and the CLEAR line on Monday at 10am had over 100 people in it. Regular Pre had maybe 20 people. My colleague went through the CLEAR line and I used standard Pre and I had finished my bagel and acoffee by the time he met me in Club.
The same thing is happening at Dulles. The Pre line is much shorter than the CLEAR Pre most of the time. It wasn't that way earlier this year.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Conversely, I went through around 4pm on Sunday. Zero wait in the CLEAR line, and about 40 people in the Pre line.

Most super efficient airport experience...

3:58pm - park at WallyPark
4:00pm - on shuttle bus to airport
4:15pm - drop off at West Departures
4:25pm - sitting down at Executive Shine after going through CLEAR, security, and immediately walking onto the train
4:40pm - in line at CityWok to pick up some dinner for the plane; the lines at Qdoba and Shake Shack were crazy long
4:58pm - arrive at B39 for my flight as they are announcing pre-boarding
5:05pm - in my E+ seat as there were basically no pre-boards or Group 1 people
limey1K likes this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Dec 8, 2022 at 10:14 am
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Conversely, I went through around 4pm on Sunday. Zero wait in the CLEAR line, and about 40 people in the Pre line.

Most super efficient airport experience...

3:58pm - park at WallyPark
4:00pm - on shuttle bus to airport
4:15pm - drop off at West Departures
4:25pm - sitting down at Executive Shine after going through CLEAR, security, and immediately walking onto the train
4:40pm - in line at CityWok to pick up some dinner for the plane; the lines at Qdoba and Shake Shack were crazy long
4:58pm - arrive at B39 for my flight as they are announcing pre-boarding
5:05pm - in my E+ seat as there were basically no pre-boards or Group 1 people
I find it to be fine off peak but Monday mornings are a bear.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
This has not been my experience in EWR (or PBI for that matter). I have not had to wait for more than 2 or 3 others. Maybe I just fly off-peak, but I haven't seen a crowd there.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've been seeing this particularly in the early morning at AUS. I've also seen it at EWR. The CLEAR line takes longer to scan fingers / eyes than the TSA takes to look at ID, so with lots of PreCheck pax CLEAR seems t back up faster.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Since losing GS status I signed up with CLEAR and look at it this way. I got it as a perk and I am (almost) always TSA PRE so I just look at the lines and take the path of least resistance. I have at times even found the basic (not PRE) TSA lane to be the fastest! No beating GS at SFO where you walk out of the GS lobby right into the TSA agent :-).
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
At DEN: 9:15 Friday morning CLEAR had at least 20 people waiting for two CLEAR agents to call them over to get eyes scanned.
TSA Pre had open document checking positions with TSA agents waiving their arms trying to get people to walk up.

The bad part is there's no way to bail from the CLEAR lane into Pre because the partitions are solid, no ropes to dive under (or over).
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
At DEN: 9:15 Friday morning CLEAR had at least 20 people waiting for two CLEAR agents to call them over to get eyes scanned.
TSA Pre had open document checking positions with TSA agents waiving their arms trying to get people to walk up.

The bad part is there's no way to bail from the CLEAR lane into Pre because the partitions are solid, no ropes to dive under (or over).
I don't get it, you can't just walk back out of the CLEAR lane?? Is it that narrow in DEN that with your carry on you would be colliding with people? I've done it elsewhere many times.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm really appreciative of the discount for being a UA member.

I luckily haven't encountered those issues. The "worst" (best?) I saw was SFO T2 where the PreCheck line was easily 250 people deep, but there was no one in CLEAR.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by nomad420
I don't get it, you can't just walk back out of the CLEAR lane?? Is it that narrow in DEN that with your carry on you would be colliding with people? I've done it elsewhere many times.
You'd have to swim upstream past people and yes, that would create some friction with others, then loop out and around and into the regular lane. Not impossible, but now you're starting to lose precious minutes you're trying to save by bailing out in the first place. At some point it's diminishing returns.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
You'd have to swim upstream past people and yes, that would create some friction with others, then loop out and around and into the regular lane. Not impossible, but now you're starting to lose precious minutes you're trying to save by bailing out in the first place. At some point it's diminishing returns.
I forget the layout at DEN but in general I think at most CLEAR-enabled airports it's pretty easy to eyeball both lines and make a guess as to which one will work out better before "committing". The exception might be if both lines are long (DL at ATL) where it can be hard to tell at a glance what the relative throughput is.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
At IAH the CLEAR and Pre are pretty much next to each other, at least in Terminal B and C, so you could eye both lines. I don’t have CLEAR and don’t see the need, even if I was flying more often. Pre gets me through fast enough, but I do hate it when those CLEAR peeps go jump in front of me in the Pre line
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.