Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Does your CLEAR membership show up anywhere in your United account?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Michilander
Does your CLEAR membership show up anywhere in your United account?
No.

In your CLEAR account, however, it does show the linked accounts (interestingly, still showing Hertz as well but I thought the CLEAR<->Hertz relationship ended with Hertz's BK
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Just in case someone might have the same experience... Its not a scam...
Last Saturday I came in from HNL on the redeye. Being it was a bit after 5:45am, I headed to the T7 UC for "breakfast" and wait on my connection.
There were 15 or 20 people in line waiting to check in, and within moments, there were another 20 behind me.
A girl wearing a CLEAR nametag came out the door and asked us all if anyone was a CLEAR member. I was real tired and not in the mood for a sales pitch, but I didnt understand why she was looking for members. Against my better judgement, I raised my hemd. She asked me to follow her and we stepped through the door to the left of the check-in desk. She said she was trying out a new feature, had me scan my eyes and boarding pass. There was a few tense moments where she crossed he fingers, and then we got a green light and she turned to me and said "you are good to go, enjoy your visit!"....
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by huey_driver
Just in case someone might have the same experience... Its not a scam...
Last Saturday I came in from HNL on the redeye. Being it was a bit after 5:45am, I headed to the T7 UC for "breakfast" and wait on my connection.
There were 15 or 20 people in line waiting to check in, and within moments, there were another 20 behind me.
A girl wearing a CLEAR nametag came out the door and asked us all if anyone was a CLEAR member. I was real tired and not in the mood for a sales pitch, but I didnt understand why she was looking for members. Against my better judgement, I raised my hemd. She asked me to follow her and we stepped through the door to the left of the check-in desk. She said she was trying out a new feature, had me scan my eyes and boarding pass. There was a few tense moments where she crossed he fingers, and then we got a green light and she turned to me and said "you are good to go, enjoy your visit!"....
I second this, got expedited Clear scan & admittance at LAX UC when there was line of people waiting check in.
Clear has record of your flight info to automatically confirm if you can enter UC.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by huey_driver
She asked me to follow her and we stepped through the door to the left of the check-in desk. She said she was trying out a new feature, had me scan my eyes and boarding pass. ....
I'm looking forward to trying clear next time I fly from a larger airport. My local is tiny, so no need. I am wondering about this comment however--normally you just scan boarding pass and that's it to enter UC. So if you have clear you get to jump the line, but you also need to scan your eyes in addition to your BP?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by npei
I second this, got expedited Clear scan & admittance at LAX UC when there was line of people waiting check in.
Clear has record of your flight info to automatically confirm if you can enter UC.
yes, they have this at security now, as well.

Oct. 29, used CLEAR at SFO (on my way to SNA) and they required BP to scan. Nov. 10, we used the same checkpoint at SFO as we were on our way to OGG, and no BP required - came up automatically after completing eye scan. I thought I heard somewhere they were starting this with DL, but apparently has made it over to UA now as well.

not a club member myself, but cool they are expanding this tech to use this for club entry.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by augkor
I'm looking forward to trying clear next time I fly from a larger airport. My local is tiny, so no need. I am wondering about this comment however--normally you just scan boarding pass and that's it to enter UC. So if you have clear you get to jump the line, but you also need to scan your eyes in addition to your BP?
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes, they have this at security now, as well.

Oct. 29, used CLEAR at SFO (on my way to SNA) and they required BP to scan. Nov. 10, we used the same checkpoint at SFO as we were on our way to OGG, and no BP required - came up automatically after completing eye scan. I thought I heard somewhere they were starting this with DL, but apparently has made it over to UA now as well.

not a club member myself, but cool they are expanding this tech to use this for club entry.
Originally for a TSA checkpoint you needed your eyes (to verify identity) and your boarding pass (to verify right to travel/right to use PRE as applicable) for a year or two now CLEAR has been getting some form of advanced passenger data from UA (and it would make sense DL as well) and if you match the APD the boarding pass isn't required because they've essentially pre-verified your right to travel) -- if you don't match the APD or perhaps random selection they scan the PB [it seems if you book/change too close to travel is the most common way to not get the APD match though, e.g. at CLE I'm close to 100% no BP required over the past year-ish while Dulles is more like 80%]

I wouldn't be surprised if longer term plan is to do the same for club access (or perhaps it's already there and there was a no mach on your specific itinerary) -- I had noticed the CLEAR totem at the LAX UC entry when I was there late September but it was unstaffed (and the club wasn't particularly busy while I was there)
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I had noticed the CLEAR totem at the LAX UC entry when I was there late September but it was unstaffed (and the club wasn't particularly busy while I was there)
The LAX UC CLEAR station is staffed now.

David
Old May 3, 2022, 8:27 am

My wife is a 1K million mile companion and has her own Explorer card. Last year when she tried to enroll in Clear at the airport, they couldn’t enroll her for free as a 1K. She was charged $179 so she canceled the membership and had the fee returned.

Today she looked at the United app and it stated that she was eligible for a free Clear membership. She tried enrolling, but it still wants her to pay $179. Also, the Clear web page had her account listed as “inactive”, presumably from the initial enrollment.

Are we to assume that 1K companions don’t get the free Clear membership? I thought that Explorer card holders got a reduced fee. Is that no longer true?
Old May 3, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
My wife is a 1K million mile companion and has her own Explorer card. Last year when she tried to enroll in Clear at the airport, they couldn’t enroll her for free as a 1K. She was charged $179 so she canceled the membership and had the fee returned.

Today she looked at the United app and it stated that she was eligible for a free Clear membership. She tried enrolling, but it still wants her to pay $179. Also, the Clear web page had her account listed as “inactive”, presumably from the initial enrollment.

Are we to assume that 1K companions don’t get the free Clear membership? I thought that Explorer card holders got a reduced fee. Is that no longer true?
I'd call CLEAR and ask -- mention the 1K status (don't bring the word "companion" int the mix) and see what they say.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
My GS MM companion gets Clear for free.
wxguy likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I must have borrowed her entitlement

(I was reactivating a Clear membership and it decided to charge me $0 even though I haven't been 1K for a couple of years, and I originally canceled since it was the pandemic and they were renewing with a charge!)
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'd call CLEAR and ask -- mention the 1K status (don't bring the word "companion" int the mix) and see what they say.
She called CLEAR and the agent finally figured out the problem. United combined her maiden name and married name into one name. To get CLEAR, the names must match your ID. The CLEAR agent sent her an email telling her to have a CLEAR Ambassador fix at the airport because he is not able to do it. Well, the CLEAR Ambassador at the airport said she couldn’t do it because it is a United problem and United has to fix it, ie., separate the names. We asked a UC lounge agent if she could fix it and she said that CLEAR would have to fix it.

Round and round we go.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
She called CLEAR and the agent finally figured out the problem. United combined her maiden name and married name into one name. . . . We asked a UC lounge agent if she could fix it and she said that CLEAR would have to fix it.

Round and round we go.
A gate agent or United Club agent may not have the authority to change the name in a United MileagePlus record. Indeed, as you have seen, they may not even know who at UA is authorized to make such modifications.

Clearly, making this change to MileagePlus account data falls within the domain of United Air Lines, and that is where your focus should be.

You needn't tell them why you need the change.

People get married and charge their names all the time. And United botched it.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: United
1K MM Companion Gets Clear Free?

Can some one share... Does 1K MM Companion Gets Clear Free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.