Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Is it just me or in at least a couple of places in the FAQs section does it indicate (the likely impossible) that this will be a simultaneous roll out on Dec 1 and jan 1?

QUOTE FROM FAQ:
"How do I know if I'm flying United BusinessFirst, United Global First or United Polaris?

If you booked a premium cabin ticket and you’re flying before December 2016, you’ll be traveling in United BusinessFirst or United Global First. If you're flying in a premium cabin on December 1, 2016, or later, you’ll experience our new United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First service."

Lurker
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Also, the FAQ hints at a new Polaris Global First cabin, and says that Polaris business will not replace Polaris global first

Will United Polaris service replace United BusinessFirst and United Global First?

United Polaris business class will replace United BusinessFirst on international flights, and United Polaris Global First will replace United Global First service. Both of these changes will come with significant enhancements to the service and products provided in our current international premium cabin experience.
You missed this part:
"As we update our fleet over the next several years to incorporate our signature United Polaris direct-aisle-access seating, we will be phasing out the first class cabin and moving toward a two-cabin experience for international travel."

United Polaris WILL gradually replace United Global First, which is officially RIP on December 1. There will still be a "United Polaris Global First" service on aircrafts that have not been modified, but the details of this service remain to be seen. "United Polaris Global First" WILL be replaced by "United Polaris" on aircraft that have updated.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
When I looked at the Polaris site (I like the name BTW), it looked to me like they simply flew Lufthansa International First Class and tried to emulate the planes, lounges, and food service accordingly (minus separate bed and seat). Now if they only get the quality of food, wine and liquor upgraded accordingly.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lurker
QUOTE FROM FAQ:
"How do I know if I'm flying United BusinessFirst, United Global First or United Polaris?

If you booked a premium cabin ticket and you’re flying before December 2016, you’ll be traveling in United BusinessFirst or United Global First. If you're flying in a premium cabin on December 1, 2016, or later, you’ll experience our new United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First service."

Lurker
I'm flying UA LHR-IAD on 12/31 in Business, here's hoping these dates are firm ^
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of product consistency and likely slow rollout (77W/787-10/A350 deliveries are pretty slow), 788/789 won't get the product, no timeline on 772/763 retrofit.

In all seriousness, given the expected lifespan of the 788/789, how are they not going to get retrofitted with the new product?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by bioyuki
I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of product consistency and likely slow rollout (77W/787-10/A350 deliveries are pretty slow), 788/789 won't get the product, no timeline on 772/763 retrofit.

In all seriousness, given the expected lifespan of the 788/789, how are they not going to get retrofitted with the new product?
Maybe it was simply an oversight?

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
http://www.reuters.com/article/ual-b...-idUSL1N18U0HJ

"Philosophically, I don't care if you're flying us once a year or a hundred times a year," he said. "I'm going to treat you as well as I can."

Sounds like the Continental world-view is alive and well, as related to elites. Looks like Kayaking will continue to be the way to go. If Munoz doesn't care how often I fly his airline, then I'll fly his airline as little as I want to.
Only on FlyerTalk could we somehow think that the idea of treating every customer well is a bad thing!

The seat looks solid. I *love* the fact that they focused on the sleep experience above all. That's certainly what matters to me. My #1 concern is the bed length. The current pmUA seats are great to sleep on for a tall person, because they're long enough. As I've said countless time, they're better than SQ and other biz class seats by miles (for me). Seeing "up to 6'6" bed length" tells me that I'm going to want to be pretty fussy about seat assignments.

Flying UA IAH-GRU on 12/16 - what does that mean for my flight? any ideas?

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by airzim
Do I see a set of PJs on the seat in the picture?
yes on flights of 12 hours or more you get PJs. Let's hope the service will be better than the name.

Programs: UA GS
I love the slot for an iPad at the end of the tray table!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:17 am

The club that's currently closed near security is getting significantly expanded - looks like it may be 2 level.

So your theory that they reduce the size of the B16 United Club to expand the Global First lounge, or vice versa makes sense.

They have the numbers so this is not even close to a shot in the dark for capacity planning.

IAD is a head scratcher on execution.

SFO global lounge looks big enough to handle what is effectively a more dense layout than the current Global First lounge setup.

EWR there's a big space adjacent to the current lounge that's supposedly being used for expansion.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Regarding ORD:

There's no flipping way that ONLY the former GF lounge gets converted to a Polaris lounge. The early afternoon Asia departures and evening Europe/SA departures have hundreds and hundreds of BF passengers.

The current GF lounge holds, what, 40 people in a PACKED scenario?

My guess is that they split the current C Concourse UC in two...Either expanding the current GF lounge well into the UC (probably around the current UC bar area, at least), or go the other way and make the Polaris lounge start somewhere around the old smoking section/current cry room...Or go complete opposite, UC becomes the Polaris, and GF becomes a small UC.

I don't know the admission stats at ORD, but it's BY FAR the most crazy around the time of the international departures, then the crowds die down dramatically.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Since the thread: "UA CEO Oscar Munoz to tell how UA will improve the customer experience - 2 June 2016" was closed, can anyone tell me if there was any substantive detail given by Oscar relative to ".... improve the customer experience".. other than the Polaris announcement? I was hoping to hear real info as to how UA plans to improve their customer service.. especially for their true committed customer base and HVF?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bioyuki

I wouldn't look at this as confirmation that the 787-8/9s will NEVER get the new seats. Premium cabin seats are designed for about a 7-10 year replacement cycle, and with most 787s 1-3 years old, they'll be retrofit later in the process.

In the meantime, the new 77W deliveries (all 14 will be in service within about 3 months of the first delivery, so that's a pretty rapid deployment) and 21 67I refurbs taking about a year or so to complete, then 777 mods, followed by 787-10/A35J deliveries in 2018-2019 means United have about 50-60 airplanes with these seats to market in about two years' time. Not a bad pace.

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
http://www.reuters.com/article/ual-b...-idUSL1N18U0HJ

"Philosophically, I don't care if you're flying us once a year or a hundred times a year," he said. "I'm going to treat you as well as I can."

Sounds like the Continental world-view is alive and well, as related to elites. Looks like Kayaking will continue to be the way to go. If Munoz doesn't care how often I fly his airline, then I'll fly his airline as little as I want to.
I don't think I can enough to adequately respond to this.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner
Do I presume that there will be fewer seats in C than in today's 777? This may make it very difficult to upgrade for those of us who book in Y and generally can upgrade.
More, since it's a bigger plane (777-300ER), but also a lot more coach seats for upgraders to be coming from (particularly since they're squeezing 10 abreast in E+/E-)/
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Some interesting analysis here at CBS:

But Munoz knows that updating the physical product isn't enough. That's why flight attendants are getting a new level of training for international flights, which he says will filter down to the domestic trips some also take. Some of the more-senior flight attendants -- the ones who often get international flights -- aren't as enthusiastic or friendly as passengers hope.

"It's a never-ending battle," Munoz says, acknowledging that the airline has a history of testy relations with its unions.

United involved flight attendants early on in the design of Polaris, a move Munoz hopes will encourage them to gladly take on the additional work such as offering three sets of wine instead of just one.

"You give them a product they can be proud of and a little momentum and a labor contract that they are happy with ... and I think that's what carries the day for us," Munoz says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.