Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Really like the all aisle access! ^ Sad to see Global First go, especially since it was the easier cabin to find award space in.

I wonder what this will do to existing award redemption rates. For instance with Europe, since the 80k Global First tier will be phased out with Global First, will they keep business class redemptions at 57.5k or meet somewhere in the middle, like at 70k, for the improved Polaris product? Maybe they'll take the elimination of Global First as a catalyst for dynamic award pricing?

It will be interesting to see what impact this new product has on award flights and upgrading with GPUs/Miles.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
It's unclear how many (if any) seats UA will be losing in retrofits to this configuration. The only seatmap we have, the 77W, has 60J seats (306Y), giving it a slightly lower ratio of premium seats than existing 777s and 787-9s.
From the photo shown in usatoday.com site, especially 7th slide (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...aris/85257920/ ), it is not a traditional 1x2x1 layout. Do anyone have an updated seat map for 77W?

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bhrubin
^^^

Some people are never satisfied.

To be honest, I think this UA Polaris business pod looks more appealing than the vaunted and so well regarded AA/CX reverse herringbone business seat--which I find to be claustrophobic when in lay flat position, and almost impossible to get out of in most seating positions.

I agree with the control group that UA obviously references in that sleep is the most important factor. For me, sleep comfort, seat comfort, and IFE are most critical--followed by food/beverage. Service is important, but less important if I'm asleep, after all.

The new lay flat bed of 78" is as long as the current GF--and plenty long enough even for me and my husband. The UA IFE has always been among the best in the world IMO, and this looks even better. Food/beverage are obviously being improved. The new Polaris lounges are a very unexpected but very appreciated and vast improvement, as well.

This is a fantastic move by UA. It looks like UA will have improvements across the board for premium service. It also looks like Polaris eventually replacing GF won't be much of an issue. Kudos to UA.

Totally agree!! Well said!!! ^^^^^^

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I like what I'm seeing! Regarding the "first" Polaris lounge opening at ORD, in December, I read somewhere that it will be the one near B16, which is the NRT departure area. The IFL is close to the HKG C-gate. Maybe ORD will get 2 Polaris lounges, one in B concourse and one in C concourse. That would be fine with me. Saves the walking between the two concourses to catch a flight.

Flying to BKK in December, hoping either HKG or NRT has the new plane/retro fit. I'm waiting to book my tickets closer to departure time. That way, if one is "ready" and the other route is still pending, I can opt for the available one.

I wonder if the new seats will have any storage (like the upper deck 747) so I'm not always opening the overhead bin to get my purse or carry-on. I would love a compartment at least for my purse, access to reading glasses, tissue, pen, whatever....... that I "forget" to grab before stowing the purse in the overhead bin.

Looking forward to many BKK flights in Polaris class!^
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Eadward
Which EWR UC are you referring to? I assume the one between C2 and C3? Where is the "big space"?
Yes that one. There is a crew room being vacated and other space that is adjacent to the C13X side of the lounge, behind that big long wall after the bar.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the main club shrink a bit, along with things like the TV room get replaced with standard seating.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
No one is going to get a price discount for old BF vs. Polaris. The plane you fly on is never guaranteed. Until all planes are converted, you will always face the possibility of a tail swap. UA is not going to give refunds for people who bought a C/J/D/Z/P fare on a plane that they anticipated was going to be Polaris-fitted just because it doesn't happen to be the one that get rolled out on the day of departure. Same as 772 IMPTE vs. CO BF -- or old 737 seats vs. new slimlines. The fare class and prices are the same.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:41 pm

Close. Right number, wrong concourse.

C-16 is the one that's going Polaris - which would mean the IFL and that UC are getting some sort of realignment.

B-18 will be a very big United Club in its own right though.

Originally Posted by sim510
I like what I'm seeing! Regarding the "first" Polaris lounge opening at ORD, in December, I read somewhere that it will be the one near B16, which is the NRT departure area. The IFL is close to the HKG C-gate. Maybe ORD will get 2 Polaris lounges, one in B concourse and one in C concourse. That would be fine with me. Saves the walking between the two concourses to catch a flight.

Flying to BKK in December, hoping either HKG or NRT has the new plane/retro fit. I'm waiting to book my tickets closer to departure time. That way, if one is "ready" and the other route is still pending, I can opt for the available one.

I wonder if the new seats will have any storage (like the upper deck 747) so I'm not always opening the overhead bin to get my purse or carry-on. I would love a compartment at least for my purse, access to reading glasses, tissue, pen, whatever....... that I "forget" to grab before stowing the purse in the overhead bin.

Looking forward to many BKK flights in Polaris class!^
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Really like the all aisle access! ^ Sad to see Global First go, especially since it was the easier cabin to find award space in.

I wonder what this will do to existing award redemption rates. For instance with Europe, since the 80k Global First tier will be phased out with Global First, will they keep business class redemptions at 57.5k or meet somewhere in the middle, like at 70k, for the improved Polaris product? Maybe they'll take the elimination of Global First as a catalyst for dynamic award pricing?

It will be interesting to see what impact this new product has on award flights and upgrading with GPUs/Miles.
They did include GF in the polaris rebranding, looks like GF is here to stay for at least a while I would assume?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Huge improvement, yes. But damn, the brushed metal and shades of blue are hideous and already looks dated. They were going for a sort of tech vibe? its like they focus-tested this with middle-america middle-managers, though i guess thats the customer base. Always seems like a lost opportunity when huge companies re-brand something like this, and it looks so bad. But again, huge improvement over the existing product.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
^^^

Some people are never satisfied.

To be honest, I think this UA Polaris business pod looks more appealing than the vaunted and so well regarded AA/CX reverse herringbone business seat--which I find to be claustrophobic when in lay flat position, and almost impossible to get out of in most seating positions.

I agree with the control group that UA obviously references in that sleep is the most important factor. For me, sleep comfort, seat comfort, and IFE are most critical--followed by food/beverage. Service is important, but less important if I'm asleep, after all.

The new lay flat bed of 78" is as long as the current GF--and plenty long enough even for me and my husband. The UA IFE has always been among the best in the world IMO, and this looks even better. Food/beverage are obviously being improved. The new Polaris lounges are a very unexpected but very appreciated and vast improvement, as well.

This is a fantastic move by UA. It looks like UA will have improvements across the board for premium service. It also looks like Polaris eventually replacing GF won't be much of an issue. Kudos to UA.
I agree that the new product looks great and sleeping comfort trumps all else. There are a few caveats though...the seats are up to 78" long. On some seats and some aircraft I would expect it to be less. Given the seat arrangement, some seats will have significantly less footwell space than others as well.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
Getting rid of 2-4-2 is a YUUUGE improvement
+1

Took UA long enough! So glad 1-2-1 is finally launching. Hopefully it won't take too many years to convert the rest of the fleet to these pods for the international flights. I could never understand how 2-4-2 (or even 2-2) was a good thing.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Close. Right number, wrong concourse.

C-16 is the one that's going Polaris - which would mean the IFL and that UC are getting some sort of realignment.

B-18 will be a very big United Club in its own right though.
OK... thanks for that information. The C-concourse idea makes more sense than B-concourse because so many international flights leave from C anyway.

I like that I will have access to the Polaris Lounge because of my 1K status, which I've almost got covered this year for 2017!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree that what we are seeing now looks a lot better than the earlier descriptions of the new C product. I also agree that the soft product upgrades are going to be a big ^^ and I like the idea of a separate lounge for people flying up front.

I still don't understand leaving the 787 out. This new product looks to be far superior to what in on the 787s now, and putting new blankets and pillows aren't going hide the fact that those aircraft aren't going to have all aisle access and will retain an uncomfortable seat.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yes that one. There is a crew room being vacated and other space that is adjacent to the C13X side of the lounge, behind that big long wall after the bar.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the main club shrink a bit, along with things like the TV room get replaced with standard seating.
Ok thanks.

Still would like to understand if GS means PL access as it does with GFL.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Did anyone notice in the marketing video that the meal was served on a tray? Interesting choice given that other carriers, like Lufthansa, are moving towards restaurant-style trayless/trolleyless service.

Not that I'm complaining too much. The description of the food sounds like an improvement over what they currently have. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.