Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There is no way United's offering is "similar" to Singapore's offering between SFO-SIN.
I am having absolutely no luck at making the multi-quote feature work. Either the software is buggy or else they don't support all the browsers. If someone knows if there is a tutorial on multi-quote, feel free to send the pointer.

In any event I am sure we can agree that the UA and SQ products are not similar in the air - although they are stuck with the same lounges at SFO!

Responding to the prior comments:

78* seat contract: airlines cancel or modify contracts all the time. They either agree to buy a future product or pay a penalty. I can't believe UA could not have modified their 789 seat contract to put in newer Polaris seating in part of the fleet.

Notion that UA puts 78* on non-competitive routes vs. 77W on competitive routes: UA makes the aircraft decision based on the capacity they want in the market and the capability of the aircraft. The 77W is close to 400 seats, they aren't putting that in the same markets/season that a 788 or 789 serves. When they have a 77W they have a better hard product. The 788/789 is still better than sUA 772 and even sCO 772

The 788 & 789 are going on thinner routes than 77* or ones that need more range than the 76* have.

Aisle access: 744 is irrelevant since it is retired. 78* aisle access is equal to 3-class sUA 763 and sCO 772, it is inferior to sCO 764 and 2-class sUA 763. It is only better than sUA 772. So not really a rationale for installing obsolete seats

IAD terminal: UA would love for WAA (or whatever they are called) to build a brand spanking new concourse C/D that is comparable to A/B. They are playing a game of chicken as to who has to pay. And apparently WAA overspent on A/B and doesn't have the bonding capacity to build. This has to be the worst terminal and customer sat that UA has, so it has to be on UA radar, but they need WAA to come up with funding. This airport has been badly mismanaged. How hard or expensive, given that many year delay in building a new concourse, could it have been to build a temporary station under the existing concourse? And maybe another under D. That would have solved a lot of connecting problems.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seacarl
... Aisle access: 744 is irrelevant since it is retired. ...
The 77W was the 744 replacement on many routes, and given the poor aisle access of the 747 (and the fuel economy issue), it was likely the priority to replace. The poor aisle access of the sUA 772 was likely the driver to get it retrofit earlier in the program.

... 78* aisle access is equal to 3-class sUA 763 and sCO 772, ...
yes, but the 3-class 763, was 3-class, making it a target for earlier replacement

...it is inferior to sCO 764 and 2-class sUA 763.
No, those both are 2-1-2, so 3 aisle access seats per 5 seat row, only 60% aisle access -- make them inferior as far as % aisle access to the 78X

So only the sCO 772 had the same aisle access ratio and not 3-class, the rest (on these factors) are "inferior" to the present 78X

Note I am not saying the 78X is going to be most competitive seat going forward in a 2-class world but rather it is the less uncompetitive of the present fleet (except maybe the sCO 772) and therefore that will likely lead them to be the last aircraft changed.

As far as getting out of a contracts, it depends, yes you can buy yourself out of a contract, it is only a matter $$$ (but how many). Given there are aircraft needing replacement first and without knowing what the buy-out price is, that may not be a financial attractive option.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 77W was the 744 replacement on many routes, and given the poor aisle access of the 747 (and the fuel economy issue), it was likely the priority to replace. The poor aisle access of the sUA 772 was likely the driver to get it retrofit earlier in the program.
The 77W is the capacity and range match for the 744, so for many reasons most of the 77W routes are former 744 routes.
yes, but the 3-class 763, was 3-class, making it a target for earlier replacement
Those are also the next oldest seats since the 3-class 763's got lie flat seats a couple of years before the 772's.
No, those both are 2-1-2, so 3 aisle access seats per 5 seat row, only 60% aisle access -- make them inferior as far as % aisle access to the 78X
Brain fart on my part. Of course. No idea what I was thinking. 2-1-2 is a weird configuration, isn't it. Would have been better to make them 2-2-1!
Note I am not saying the 78X is going to be most competitive seat going forward in a 2-class world but rather it is the less uncompetitive of the present fleet (except maybe the sCO 772) and therefore that will likely lead them to be the last aircraft changed.
I think it's the bean counters that rule, not the relative competiveness. The seats are new and not amortized, so it would require a financial write-off to replace them. That's what UA has shown in the past, that they don't replace stuff until it has been amortized. That is why it is disappointing that they have continued to take new deliveries of a non-competitive seat when the new one is available. Even if it would have taken effort to install it. The 787 is a good aircraft, it has a nice lav ratio, nice windows, etc. Sad that it will be saddled with these seats for perhaps 10 years.
As far as getting out of a contracts, it depends, yes you can buy yourself out of a contract, it is only a matter $$$ (but how many). Given there are aircraft needing replacement first and without knowing what the buy-out price is, that may not be a financial attractive option.
It depends a lot on whether you are buying other product from the same supplier. How is AA getting out of their A350 contracts? They aren't buying the A330neo nor the A350 (nor the A380). Must be A321's that were the leverage, I guess. Or else they are paying penalties. I'm sure UA could have found a way, if they wanted to.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:51 am

I understand everybody has their own preferences and likes, but for me, it is all about the seat, comfort, and sleep. With the SQ product, you have to sleep sideways and the seat is hard. You also have to get up and flip the back over, so it is not an automatic lay flat; I have been told that this has been rectified with the new seat. My comment regarding the new UA Polaris seat is the leg clearance between the seat and the tray table is small so that I bang my knees when I turn over. It also makes sitting uncomfortable; I am tall and big. The seat I like is the one on KAL, JAL and Oman Air. United would never adopt it however.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Another point about 78Xs, is 67% of the seats are aisle access. That is higher than the 60% or 50% and less of much of the pre-polaris fleet. The 747s and sUA 777s had poor aisle access ratios (50%) and those needed to be handled first. The 76Xs were 60% and are part of the retrofit plans (3-class version first - the other target of the Polaris retrofit). The 78Xs at 67% may be less intolerable in the marketplace -- (only missing the window seat with aisle access customer)
I am guessing you're referring to the 788/789 generically with 78X, but just to clarify, the 787-10 (a/k/a 78X) is coming with the Polaris seats. All seats will have direct aisle access.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I am guessing you're referring to the 788/789 generically with 78X, but just to clarify, the 787-10 (a/k/a 78X) is coming with the Polaris seats. All seats will have direct aisle access.
Very happy to hear that the 787-10 is coming with the new seats. How many? And when is the first delivery? Saw that SQ got their first one.

I wasn't aware that the 787-10 code is 78X. Yes, I meant 78X to refer to 788 and 789. Guess we may need to list them explicitly now, since even 78* could be ambiguous.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: None anymore
Very happy to hear that the 787-10 is coming with the new seats. How many? And when is the first delivery? Saw that SQ got their first one.

I wasn't aware that the 787-10 code is 78X. Yes, I meant 78X to refer to 788 and 789. Guess we may need to list them explicitly now, since even 78* could be ambiguous.
According to the fleet update thread the 787-10 is classified as the 78J. I have not read anything about seat counts, but first delivery is expected for November 1, 2018 and they are the 2nd 78J customer. SG gets 8 frames before UA receives their first.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:38 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Can I use Global Premier Upgrades to fly Polaris?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes (since you are based in Europe, I'm guessing that you are looking for international flights), if your Economy fare is W or above. When you buy your ticket, if you see R>0, if you buy a ticket with the appropriate fare and apply a GPU, you'll be upgraded immediately. If you see R=0, when you apply a GPU you'll be added to the upgrade waitlist which may clear at any time before the flight or not clear at all.

Are you sure you are only UA Silver? If you are only Silver, you don't have GPUs but maybe you have a friend that can use his GPUs for you.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:23 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Yes (since you are based in Europe, I'm guessing that you are looking for international flights), if your Economy fare is W or above. When you buy your ticket, if you see R>0, if you buy a ticket with the appropriate fare and apply a GPU, you'll be upgraded immediately. If you see R=0, when you apply a GPU you'll be added to the upgrade waitlist which may clear at any time before the flight or not clear at all.

Are you sure you are only UA Silver? If you are only Silver, you don't have GPUs but maybe you have a friend that can use his GPUs for you.
Thanks! I'm currently Silver but will achieve 1K status later this year. I'm planning to use my GPU's for transatlantic flights and was wondering if I can use them for Polaris😀. Hopefully Polaris will be on a flight to AMS soon.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Thanks! I'm currently Silver but will achieve 1K status later this year. I'm planning to use my GPU's for transatlantic flights and was wondering if I can use them for Polaris��. Hopefully Polaris will be on a flight to AMS soon.
At this point you get Polaris light to and from AMS. The Polaris service, Polaris bedding but not the real Polaris seat. But since I have to fly through ORD, all my flights to Europe and Asia has been on Polaris light and in general it has been pretty good. And if you fly through ORD, we have the real Polaris Lounge which is real good in comparison to the United Clubs.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Thanks! I'm currently Silver but will achieve 1K status later this year. I'm planning to use my GPU's for transatlantic flights and was wondering if I can use them for Polaris😀. Hopefully Polaris will be on a flight to AMS soon.
You will quickly discover:
~there really isnt any real Polaris yet
~you have to pay hundreds more (on W) just to apply the GPU, and then you are only entering a lottery
~you will be sad when you spend said hundreds, and still sitting in Y, because GPUs didnt clear.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
sorry to ask about this again but regarding polaris lounge access-
i have a domestic connection in economy ord-lax-nrt.
lax -nrt is united business.
can I access the ord polaris lounge?
if not,ifthe ord -lax ticket was business(first) would this be allowable or does it not work with dom connections...
thanks
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
can I access the ord polaris lounge? ...
Yes, if same day Polaris class flight
A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris business classCustomers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
....,ifthe ord -lax ticket was business(first) would this be allowable or does it not work with dom connections... thanks
The cabin of the domestic flight makes no difference.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:41 pm

sorry to ask about this again but regarding polaris lounge access-
can I access the ord polaris lounge?
if not,ifthe ord -lax ticket was business(first) would this be allowable or does it not work with dom connections...
thanks
If you are confirmed in C on LAX-NRT within 24 hours on the same ticket/itinerary, then you will be entitled to access to the Polaris lounge in ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.