Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
It's a sad development. I first encountered this when another passenger took it upon himself to pull my backpack out of the overhead to put his large roll-aboard in. He then declared the backpack doesn't belong up here.
The last person who believed that they had the right to relocate my overhead carryon was asked politely. If he was very attached to that hand. A short discussion with the lead FA prevented changing his handicap status.
I am very territorial when it comes to my property and have been known to be more than mildly disagreeable when poked.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton DI, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
If I'm sitting in the bulkhead and there is no place for my small carry-on under the seat in front of me I'm required to place it in the overhead. If I'm sitting in a non-bulkhead seat and the space under the seat in front of me is too small to be usable, why wouldn't the same rule apply?
Boraxo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
It's getting better but with many OTA's it can be almost impossible to tell you are buying a BE ticket. I know quite a few infrequent fliers who ask for my help post ticket purchase because they don't understand what a BE fare is. I get that booking through UA.bomb makes it very clear but fewer causal/non loyal fliers do this but are rather just searching for the best price...
Off topic but I run into this as well. A friend ends up with BE ticket that he bought off Expedia, Cheapticket.com, or whatever and doesn't understand what he fully got into. He/she just thought the price was great. While United.com may be very clear other sites for travel booking I believe are purposefully vague.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:40 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I am sure that Qantas requests that *larger* items be placed under the seat and smaller items overhead!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LeccyC
Slightly off-topic, but I am sure that Qantas requests that *larger* items be placed under the seat and smaller items overhead!
Qantas is the only airline I've encountered that does not permit 22" rollaboards in the overhead bin. Basically anything over 15 lbs is verbotten. So not sure what constitutes a large item under 15 lbs ...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
So, if I put the backpack in a large, otherwise empty roll-aboard, then I can leave it up there right?
There must be a better solution than this. Inflatable backpack that transforms into a roll-aboard? Any engineers here who could design something with minimal extra weight?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by onthesam
UA could start charging for bin space. That would incentivize folks to stick their crap at their feet, and leave plenty of space for those of us willing to pay (Kirby if you're listening please give PQD for such charges. Dynamic charging based upon expected bin usage, while crappy, is acceptable).
Don’t give them any ideas please.....
Old May 1, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Daze

Don’t give them any ideas please.....
I would actually LOVE to see "reserved" bin space that you could buy. I'd go from being the first to board to being the last.
onthesam likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I would actually LOVE to see "reserved" bin space that you could buy.
Agreed - paid overhead bin space may actually get more people to check bags - making the boarding process go quicker.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I would actually LOVE to see "reserved" bin space that you could buy. I'd go from being the first to board to being the last.
Well to solve the problem the fee would need to be more than the checked luggage fee. That was the genesis of this issue (lack of overhead bin room). Anytime I fly Southwest I can find room in the overhead.

I would love to see reserved bin space for FC, bulkhead and exit rows - OALs do this.

Also, I am assuming that 1K members would not be charged, similar to no checked luggage fees
Old May 1, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well to solve the problem the fee would need to be more than the checked luggage fee. That was the genesis of this issue (lack of overhead bin room). Anytime I fly Southwest I can find room in the overhead.

I would love to see reserved bin space for FC, bulkhead and exit rows - OALs do this.

Also, I am assuming that 1K members would not be charged, similar to no checked luggage fees
United already has reserved space for FC. It is reserved for crew bags. duh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.