Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Ignoring the specifics of the interaction between you and the FA, I agree that large duffel bags should get priority over laptop bags in the overhead bins.
From now on I'm carrying my laptop (and nothing else) in the largest duffel bag that fits in the sizer, then.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
And got this in email just now. I am feeling very very special.

Dear Ms. Pindi

It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about your recent experience on flight UA2239 from San Francisco to Newark.

I can only imagine how upsetting and frustrating you must have felt. Please accept my heartfelt apology.

We are sensitive to your concerns, I have shared your feedback with our In-Flight Management so we can follow up internally.

As mentioned during our conversation, I'm sending a $XXX electronic travel certificate each for your wife and your kids to use toward a future United or United Express flight. You'll receive this in a separate email within the next few business days.

Ms. Pindi, thank you for your loyalty as a Premier Gold Member, it’s always a pleasure to serve your travel need.

Kindest Regards,

I am truly shocked by the love bombing!! My husband is amused at being turned into my wife. I really hope this is a sign of United taking our complaints seriously. Just wow!!!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pindi
I am truly shocked by the love bombing!! My husband is amused at being turned into my wife. I really hope this is a sign of United taking our complaints seriously. Just wow!!!
Apparently they appreciate you as a customer. Are you GS or something?
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Apparently they appreciate you as a customer. Are you GS or something?
I am a mere gold!!!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a mere gold!!!
Me too!

Actually (and I'll admit that I fly UA a lot less than people here, so less data points) my experiences with UA FAs have been good. No problems at all.

When I flew UA a few times 1-2 years ago, they generally seemed like they were doing their job but not happy about it. No smiles, no friendliness. If I asked for something it would be slid onto my tray with no acknowledgement. I wouldn't go so far as to call the service "rude", but... indifferent.

The FAs I've had this year have been friendly, cheerful, happy, and very good at their jobs. It's only a small number of flights -- not enough data to draw a conclusion -- but the difference is noticeable.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond

I am a mere gold!!!
Someone probably saw this thread! Congratulations to you for calling them out on this - hopefully there really will be a discussion/training for the FA in question.
pindi, chavala and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:37 pm

Coats

Just a question. "Overhead bins for large items ONLY??"
What exactly do I do when wearing a heavy/large coat for winter travel?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by goldbar
I often just take it off and leave it sandwiched between my back and the seat.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
I often just take it off and leave it sandwiched between my back and the seat.
Or, as they will tell you during boarding, wait until the large bags are up and then fit the coats into the overhead around them.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goldbar
Stuff it into your carryon if there is room. Or under the seat in front of you. Or on your lap or behind your back like someone else does. I've also seen lots of people try and hang them from the tray table latch, with varying degrees of success based on how heavy and bulky the coat is.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Stuff it into your carryon if there is room. Or under the seat in front of you. Or on your lap or behind your back like someone else does. I've also seen lots of people try and hang them from the tray table latch, with varying degrees of success based on how heavy and bulky the coat is.
Seats are not that big.

For me, if I have a pillow or jacket behind me, I am sliding off the front of the seat.

I can't remember the name for the measurement from the back of the seat to the front (ie, the part where your butt goes). But that is short enough on many seats that I can't have anything behind me and sit close to comfortably.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I can't remember the name for the measurement from the back of the seat to the front (ie, the part where your butt goes). ....
The seat pan
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Ignoring the specifics of the interaction between you and the FA, I agree that large duffel bags should get priority over laptop bags in the overhead bins.
Wait, what? You think someone should have to check their laptop bag so the later arriving passenger can put his large duffel in the overhead?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It all depends on where you sit. Quite literally.

This entire debate is a zero sum game because there is not enough room on a standard single-aisle mainline aircraft to accommodate the "legal" carryons brought onboard.

If you are the passenger with the personal item, you believe that it is your moral right to occupy OH. But, if you are the next person with the larger bag who now has to gate check because that bag can't go under any seat, you may feel differently. There are plenty of threads here from people expressing that view in quite strident tones.

Much of this is curable. It is rare that a laptop can't be stashed OH once the larger bags are up there. So, this may well be a timing issue.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It all depends on where you sit. Quite literally.

This entire debate is a zero sum game because there is not enough room on a standard single-aisle mainline aircraft to accommodate the "legal" carryons brought onboard.

If you are the passenger with the personal item, you believe that it is your moral right to occupy OH. But, if you are the next person with the larger bag who now has to gate check because that bag can't go under any seat, you may feel differently. There are plenty of threads here from people expressing that view in quite strident tones.

Much of this is curable. It is rare that a laptop can't be stashed OH once the larger bags are up there. So, this may well be a timing issue.
Then it should come down to whoever is first gets the space. Isn't that the entire point of having status that let's you board early? (assuming it does NOT fit under their seat)
Boraxo, narvik and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.