Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This stick it out and duke it out reminds me of road rage. You get cutoff and the chase is on. You are asked to put something under your seat and it’s Game On! I don’t know, my preference is to fly with not so much hyped up fliers ready to battle. I deal with confrontation almost everyday at work - on a plane I’d rather not deal with it (and hotels).
SportDiver likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This stick it out and duke it out reminds me of road rage. You get cutoff and the chase is on. You are asked to put something under your seat and it’s Game On! I don’t know, my preference is to fly with not so much hyped up fliers ready to battle. I deal with confrontation almost everyday at work - on a plane I’d rather not deal with it (and hotels).
I did not have any space underneath the seat in front of me to put my laptop tote as it was one of those restricted storage spaces.
Silver Fox and chavala like this.

Last edited by pindi; Apr 9, 2019 at 5:28 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pindi
I did not have any space underneath the seat in front of me to put my laptop tote as it was on me of those restricted storage spaces.
Did I quote you?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 9, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: Quote update to reflect Moderator edit; removed response to deleted content
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Did I quote you?
I also assumed you were speaking of the OP since you didn't quote anyone
Silver Fox and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Gadot
Unfortunately they can have your arrested after deplaning. A FA ran over my daughter and called her out and told her to come back and apologize. The next thing I knew she had called a cop and said I was threatening her. Luckily others confirmed my fact and the cop helped me find her supervisor.
unless in the state of CA rattling off a few F bombs in a public shaming is not arrrestable.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Collierkr

unless in the state of CA rattling off a few F bombs in a public shaming is not arrrestable.
it is to an airline employee if they "feel threatened"
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
A backpack and a full-size carry-on take up a surprisingly similar amount of usable space in the overhead, unless there happens to be another passenger who is also putting a backpack up and they can fit atop one another.
On the ERJ-175's I fly most weeks, each overhead can fit 2 full-size carry-on (e.g. 20" rollerboard) and 1-2 personal item (e.g. laptop bag), if those can be stacked atop one another. There is simply not enough room between the 2 rollerboards for a third "large" item. I usually just hang out and wait until most of the rollerboards are up, then stash my laptop bag in any of the free "small" spaces nearby. I don't think I'm being discourteous by waiting 'till the end of boarding to do so....
jsloan, Boraxo and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The announcement seems pretty standard now, with all my planes going out at 100% capacity I expect they have too many bags to check from groups 4&5, which can delay pushoff.

On my outbound flight I delayed putting my backpack in the overhead as GS/1K who boarded before me had taken all the bins over my seat and i had no underseat storage. As it turns out one of the bags was too big to close the bin, so it was removed at which point my bag went into the overhead bin. Some lady then whined about her purse being crushed so they took it and moved it to F. Works for me.

I boarded with group 1 and placed my laptop bag in the overhead bin, and my purse in the tiny space under the seat in front of me. Towards the end of boarding, an FA came to my row, picked up my laptop bag from the overhead bin and asked whose it was. When I identified it as mine, he put it in my lap and tried to put another passenger’s large duffel bag in the overhead bin. I protested saying there was no place to put my laptop bag. He said I should put smaller items under the seat in front of me as overhead bins were reserved only for large items.
I received a similar lecture by an FA on an SFO-LAS flight. I told her I fly 100k miles on UA and one of the perks is boarding early so I can use the overhead space. She glared at me but did not push it.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think it happens to all of us who fly frequently, in various degrees. So yes, I have absolutely been in situations where FAs have pulled similar nonsense on me.
Yup, I don't think it's a gender thing. More like FAs have been asked to try to maximize space in this manner. Some are more diplomatic than others.

But honestly I have no sympathy for Group 3-4-5 passengers. My company buys full fare tix and I've earned the privilege of boarding in Group 1. The only reason for me to waste an extra 30m waiting in a cramped seat for everyone else to board is to ensure that my bags go overhead. Otherwise I might as well just enjoy another drink in the lounge, stretch my legs, and board at last call. And I'm sure UA would not prefer that outcome if all its passengers did that.
pmarrsouth and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I'm tall. My feet go under the seat in front of me. Otherwise, it would be like flying Spirit.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I received a similar lecture by an FA on an SFO-LAS flight. I told her I fly 100k miles on UA and one of the perks is boarding early so I can use the overhead space. She glared at me but did not push it.
Yup, I don't think it's a gender thing. More like FAs have been asked to try to maximize space in this manner. Some are more diplomatic than others.
But did your lecture include a veiled threat at the end, leaving you speechless?
Or is it possible the FA would have thought twice about saying "You wanna try me?" if the pax was a middle-aged white man in a suit?
That is what the OP is upset about.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Just wow - just got off the phone with a customer service representative from United. She called to say this incident deserved a personal apology and hence the call. She asked for details again and said United will definitely retrain the FA in question so that this incident does not happen again. We spoke for 10 mins. I am impressed!!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FA – “You want to try me?”
Possible responses:
a) Your place or mine?
b) I’m afraid you’re not my type.
c) Sure. All we need is some lawyers, a judge, and a jury.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:54 pm

Just wow - just got off the phone with a customer service representative from United. She called to say this incident deserved a personal apology and hence the call. She asked for details again and said United will definitely retrain the FA in question so that this incident does not happen again. We spoke for 10 mins. I am impressed!!
Very impressive. Out of curiosity, what is your Premier level?
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I was on UA 2239 yesterday from SFO-EWR. I had seat 20C. I had checked my bags and only had a laptop bag and a small purse with me. I knew that 20C, being an exit row aisle, had half the storage in front of the seat when compared to normal seats - even that half is further reduced due to the inbuilt box under seat 12C. I knew I could not put anything more than a small purse under the seat in front of me.

I boarded with group 1 and placed my laptop bag in the overhead bin, and my purse in the tiny space under the seat in front of me. Towards the end of boarding, an FA came to my row, picked up my laptop bag from the overhead bin and asked whose it was. When I identified it as mine, he put it in my lap and tried to put another passenger’s large duffel bag in the overhead bin. I protested saying there was no place to put my laptop bag. He said I should put smaller items under the seat in front of me as overhead bins were reserved only for large items. I showed him the space in front of my seat, so he knew there was no way to fit a laptop bag there. He then said he would find space for my laptop bag and went to the front of the plane. In the meantime, I went ahead and placed my bag in the overhead bin, preempting the other passenger from placing his large duffel there. Several minutes later, the FA returned and told the other passenger he would need to check his bag.

I thought that was the end of it. The FA came back to my row later and said:

FA – “We are all good now. But for your information, the overhead bins are only for the large carry-ons”
Me – “I thought passengers are supposed to put THEIR large carry-on in the overhead bin and the smaller item in front of them”
FA – “No, the overhead bins are reserved for large carry-ons only”
Me – “What would you have me do? Check my laptop bag even when that is my large item?”
FA – “Well yes. Other flight attendants would probably have made you do that but since I am nice, I won’t do it”
Me – “You can’t do that !!!”
FA – “You want to try me?”

At this point, I was beyond stunned. I’m close to hitting a million miles on UA soon. For an FA to try to bully me into checking my one single laptop bag to fit a late arriving passenger’s large duffel is beyond unprofessional. And to taunt a passenger with that last statement – I have no words!!! Had I not been in a rush to get back home, I would have escalated the issue to the purser/captain of the flight. I chose to remain quiet and let the FA have his power trip. I have written to UA customer care but I highly doubt anything will come of it. I am still seething nearly a day later. I did describe the FA in my email to customer service - hopefully they can identify him and re-train him. Sigh!!!
Ignoring the specifics of the interaction between you and the FA, I agree that large duffel bags should get priority over laptop bags in the overhead bins.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Very impressive. Out of curiosity, what is your Premier level?
I fell to a mere Gold level this year after being 1K for several years. I am a few thousand miles away from being 1 MM which is not much these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.