Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by raehl311
The close in fee exists to protect last-minute-fares-cost-more cash pricing.

When you just charge more miles for last minute fares to begin with it doesn't serve a function anymore. Just make the number of miles needed so exorbitant that only the cash fare is an option.

Far more effective than a close-in fee that still often isn't enough to stop cheap mileage redemptions relative to cash airfare.
At the same time it also gives UA more flexibility. In other words, if a flight is way undersold they don't want to be charging a close in fee. In that case they can do a last minute miles special and maybe clear some RDM's off their balance sheet.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Dynamic pricing, in theory, balances supply/demand and makes waitlisting obsolete. A high-demand J seat that today goes for 70,000 miles and has a WL of 20+ can ostensibly be priced at 200,000 miles come November. Academically, I am curious how many takers there will be at that price.

There must have been enough Anytime award redemptions to make them believe they can pull this off and have awards with essentially no price ceilings.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
There must have been enough Anytime award redemptions to make them believe they can pull this off and have awards with essentially no price ceilings.
Actually, I think the real intention is to deter customers from choosing flights where the tickets can be sold to paying customers at a big profit. Instead, most shoppers will look for routings and dates with lower point redemptions.

I don't think they want you redeeming miles into J on a flight where they can sell that seat for $5 grand at all.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: Club Premier Platino, Aeroplan Prestige
I always enjoy the responses that go something like "It's not fun being screwed by United but I understand why they are screwing me...." Frequent flyer programs create nasty cases of Stockholm Syndrome.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I don't see anything positive in UA's announcement except for one thing: The announcement itself. Delta never communicated their changes, and their stealth approach continues today.
Minor positive...DL has been sneaky on these issues for years because they knew it was a competitive disadvantage - and it is only because of other things that they offer in terms of better service that it has not affected their bottom line more. Still, I see a lot of things from them pushing those DL Amex cards which are becoming less and less attractive each year.I always felt that one reason UA has (not yet) gone down this road is that they knew they were far from out of the woods on Jeffie's issues.I guess they feel that they are getting closer to that point - but do not want to be sneaky considering some of their recent troubles in other directions. AA has already largely trashed their program, UA feels it can now as well. Maybe things will change with the next recession - maybe not - when all of sudden airplanes are not quite as full as they are now. But the bank rewards programs are getting more attractive and the Airlines cards are getting less attractive - even if you already fly a lot and buy airline tickets on them.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The key question for me is how UA will handle partner awards, because they've already reduced premium cabin saver inventory on their own metal to the point that it is, at least from my perspective, basically nonexistent.
It looks like DL and AA have some dynamic pricing for their own metals, and DL is a bit more advanced to even put dynamic pricing on partner awards.

I believe UA may or may not load a partner award chart for partner airlines. Bloggers seem to indicate it is currently unchanged for now.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by mogollon75
I always enjoy the responses that go something like "It's not fun being screwed by United but I understand why they are screwing me...." Frequent flyer programs create nasty cases of Stockholm Syndrome.
To be clear, one of the worst things about these programs is the devaluations are retroactive. If you earned miles thinking you were going to get to use them, you should be able to use them.

But I do understand the business theory behind the decision. That's not a defense of UA; but it is reality.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by msg75
Among multiple other reasons this is really going to hit home as I've been saved many times when a last minute emergency comes up and I can grab a "reasonably" priced award flight within 24 hours vs paying an exorbitant walk-up $ fare.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Dynamic pricing has been here for a while - I just paid 65,000 for a domestic round-trip two weeks ago. But the cash fare was ridiculous, so it was still a deal in the end.
+1--Exactly: this has been one of the benefits of MileagePlus and a failsafe way to realize value (although reluctantly used and not as originally planned for a long-anticipated dream trip).

Originally Posted by dilanesp
At the same time it also gives UA more flexibility. In other words, if a flight is way undersold they don't want to be charging a close in fee. In that case they can do a last minute miles special and maybe clear some RDM's off their balance sheet.
Yes; it will be interesting to see how close in that decision to lower miles is made. I assume it will be just a few days or hours before the flight since it will be tempting for the airline to hold that seat for sale as long as possible (especially if in a premium cabin).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2019 at 9:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:24 pm

Do a large percentage of people only take their "dream trip" if they can do it by redeeming miles?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Actually, I think the real intention is to deter customers from choosing flights where the tickets can be sold to paying customers at a big profit. Instead, most shoppers will look for routings and dates with lower point redemptions.

I don't think they want you redeeming miles into J on a flight where they can sell that seat for $5 grand at all.
UA could have always managed that via revenue management to restrict (or eliminate) award seat availability on flights. Much like they do with upgrade availability. This is clearly just a mileage (revenue) grab.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the end of the day, DL is transitioning it’s award system to be more like B6 or WN. IME, most SkyMiles awards on DL metal get you value of around 1.3 cents per mile. Sometimes it will be more, and sometimes less, you just have to do the math. For domestic flights I don’t think this results in a huge change, but clearly the days of 5-10 cents per mile on international premium class rewards are coming to an end - because a ticket that prices at $5000 will now cost something like 385k miles r/t. In the past the award chart would price it at 125k or whatever Saver level, but that was rarely available unless you waitlisted, or you could pay the anytime price of 2-3x. If the fare is $2000 then it would be only 150k miles or so.
It’s definitely been a devaluation but I don’t consider it the end of the world (and I almost exclusively redeemed for international premium class).

I do think the big question is what happens to partner awards - with SkyMiles those offer much better value but are more difficult to find. And related, what happens to pricing on Int’l First Class partner awards (SkyMiles doesn’t offer these at all)? Those are often $10-20k tickets, and at 1.3c, that’s 750k-1.5mil miles which surely seems crazy.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
UA could have always managed that via revenue management to restrict (or eliminate) award seat availability on flights. Much like they do with upgrade availability. This is clearly just a mileage (revenue) grab.
They can, but there's probably a marketing / psychological benefit for doing it this way instead.

Instead of the customer logging in and cursing United: "they NEVER have any award space!", this way there is always award space to display. But they use pricing to achieve the same result.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Do a large percentage of people only take their "dream trip" if they can do it by redeeming miles?
With today's development, an awful lot of people will not be taking that "dream trip". At all.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
At the end of the day, DL is transitioning it’s award system to be more like B6 or WN. IME, most SkyMiles awards on DL metal get you value of around 1.3 cents per mile. Sometimes it will be more, and sometimes less, you just have to do the math. For domestic flights I don’t think this results in a huge change, but clearly the days of 5-10 cents per mile on international premium class rewards are coming to an end - because a ticket that prices at $5000 will now cost something like 385k miles r/t. In the past the award chart would price it at 125k or whatever Saver level, but that was rarely available unless you waitlisted, or you could pay the anytime price of 2-3x. If the fare is $2000 then it would be only 150k miles or so.
It’s definitely been a devaluation but I don’t consider it the end of the world (and I almost exclusively redeemed for international premium class).

I do think the big question is what happens to partner awards - with SkyMiles those offer much better value but are more difficult to find. And related, what happens to pricing on Int’l First Class partner awards (SkyMiles doesn’t offer these at all)? Those are often $10-20k tickets, and at 1.3c, that’s 750k-1.5mil miles which surely seems crazy.
DL very clearly distanced themselves form WN type program. Once again, PWM has been around for over decade. If that was the ultimate goal, they could have done that many years ago, but rejected it.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 6, 2019 at 6:20 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That depends on where you're going. At IAH there are 25 carriers not UA/UAX to 50+ destinations non-stop, and a 170-flight-a-day operation by Southwest at HOU.
Fair point. But I fly United mostly for business domestically. For almost every flight I search for in Concur, UA is typically my only nonstop option.

I live north of IAH, I can't bring myself to drive so far past the airport just to fly Southwest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.