Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The “leaked” first shot:

United’s announcement video:
https://twitter.com/united/status/11...525993984?s=20

PDF of the new livery:
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/876...jpg?p=original

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design
Updated aircraft livery is the next step in United's ongoing efforts to modernize its visual brand

CHICAGO, April 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines is introducing customers and employees to a modernized aircraft livery, which will bring a refreshed look to its fleet. The design is a visual representation of United's ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.

"As we improve and elevate our customer experience, we are changing the way people think and feel about United, and this branding captures that new spirit," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. "Each improvement we've added to our service advances our evolution as an airline, furthering our effort to elevate and redefine customer service in the sky. This modernized design, especially our iconic globe, enhances the very best of United's image and values while pointing in the direction of where we intend to go next in serving our customers."

The next iteration of United's livery prominently features the color most connected to the airline's core – blue. Three shades – Rhapsody Blue, United Blue and Sky Blue – are used throughout the design in a way that pays respect to United's heritage while bringing a more modern energy. The airline is keeping its iconic globe logo on the aircraft tail, which represents the carrier's expansive route network of reaching 355 destinations in nearly 60 countries. The tail will be updated with a gradient in the three shades of blue, while the logo will now appear predominantly in Sky Blue. The engines and wingtips are also being painted United Blue, and the swoop that customers and employees have expressed fondness for on United's Dreamliner fleet will be added to all aircraft in Rhapsody Blue. United's name will appear larger on the aircraft body and the lower half of the body will be painted Runway Gray. United's mission of "Connecting people. Uniting the world." will also be painted near the door of each aircraft.

The new design features core colors from United's updated brand palette, which was introduced last year as a step toward updating the brand's visual identity. Blue continues to be the airline's primary color, with various tones creating more depth and reflecting the colors customers and employees see when they look out the plane window at the sky. The airline's new color palette also includes shades of purple, which is most recognizable as the color of the new United Premium Plus seats are being added to the fleet. When combined, the purple and blue tones create a soothing environment and a more relaxed travel experience. In updating its colors, United is reducing the use of gold, which was added to the brand palette almost 30 years ago. United's new color palette can also be seen in the accent colors of the new uniforms that are being created for more than 70,000 front-line employees.

On average, United aircraft receive new paint jobs every seven years. The first aircraft painted with the new design is a Boeing 737-800, which will be joined by a mix of narrowbody, widebody and regional aircraft with the updated livery throughout the year. For more information visit united.com/brandevolution.
Print Wikipost

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
IMO, a very uninspiring refresh which reminds me more of JetBlue than anything else. I thought UA was trying to copy Delta?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold

I assume this was for picture taking.
cricketer, nnn, tuolumne and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by atword
It looks like the tail almost had Pacific Blue (teal) for the logo. I wonder if United meant to post this image on Twitter:

Certainly different than the Sky Blue they ended up using:

It appears United isn't quite sure what colors they really like. This is now on the webpage, and appears to be the alternate shade of blue too:

Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Originally Posted by UAL757222
It’s just an ugly livery. The globe is a terrible logo. It’s a perfect symbol for mediocrity, which matches the product and service to a T. Nothing here says we want to be a leader, we want to stand out, we want to be an inviting airline.

I am annoyed, however, that those who want the Tulip back are told to get over it, yet there continues to exist the name of a dead airline in the company name, dead companies’ logo celebrated on the tail, and a retro jet with full, complete titles of said dead airline. See the issue?

Maybe it isn’t the customers that should move on, but the company themselves.

You do realize it is publicly traded company with none of the emotional investment you have in a certain logo.

At the merger UA was less than 20% larger than CO so about half of the customers felt loyalty to that Globe branding. Would it have been smart to alienate the brand recognition Continental brought with the largest market share in the single most important aviation market in the world (NYC) ?

While the merger was disastrously executed there had been a logic to retaining parts of both brands that had nothing to do with the company or employees.

At this point it is all moot. Ever company in America is fixated on “Millennials” and securing their future brand loyalty. None of them remember a logo from the 70s that disappeared almost a decade ago. If you’re old enough to remember it’s hey day you’re old news to any marketing team anyway.

Bringing it back at this point would be akin to if CO has reverted to the Saul Bass “meatball” 10 years later with the launch of EWR-HKG. It would be redic

Sidebar- I think it is interesting that “retro” planes are so fashionable now that even JetBlue that has no history make up an imagined past just so they could play too!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I am not a fan. I'll always ride for the tulip #RIP
Originally Posted by chavala
And a Tulip...a FLOWER... says "we want to be a leader, we want to stand out, we want to be an inviting airline" ???

Count me as one who is glad the tulip is dead and gone.
And yes, everyone should just get over it because it ain't gonna happen ; )
Agree, the logo is a bit generic. It simply doesn't have the personality that the LH crane nor BA current "Concorde" logo. I could apply the Globe to any airline that flies globally, QF, AC, AF, you name it! What's more troubling about the situation is their instance of changing the logo every couple of years. When was the last time LH had a major overhaul of their logo? How about Coca Cola? The Tulips were distinguishable and memorable and were the longest running logo UA at 38 years. Then for some reason they decided to change their logo not slightly but to a completely different brand (a globe - how original!). Customer associate emotion and loyalty to brands. It's the reason why when I'm in a foreign country and look for a soft drink, I immediately look for the Coca Cola logo.

The other cardinal sin here was enlarging the UNITED title on the side. Having the letters go over the windows really cheapens the look IMHO. Name for me one major airline in the world that pulls a stunt like that?! The one positive change I did like from the redesign was increasing the amount of blue on the bird, since blue is subjectively the best colour in the world!

Safe Travels,

James
tuolumne likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:57 pm

Titles over the windows...

Thank Pan Am

https://images.app.goo.gl/XJ6DNvX3spfbeLwR6

Not a fan of it either but it’s accidentally picking up another piece of UA history - the Pan Am Pacific routes and fleet.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoopty doo.

Can we please have award chartz back?
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
You mean like the Ted livery?

You forgot the Star Alliance Frankenstein livery.

...ahh yes the loading bar livery. Sadly, the battleship has not yet been loaded on SK, AC, LH, TG, nor RG birds as of yet. That being said, I always pretend whilst flying AC that I'm on a UA flight (i.e. asking the FA, "Can you point me to where the E+ section is?" or boarding in Group 1 as a Gold). Once I had my UA shirt and cap on whilst flying LHR > YYZ on AC. The FA look confused and I said, isn't this UA #### to YYZ ?

I think if you darkened the hue of grey and lightened the hue of blue the battleship would look pretty modern by todays standards.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Airline name over the windows...
While not the norm, far from uncommon
SouthWest
Swiss
Jet Blue
JAL
Fiji
Finnair
WOW
Frontier
Gulf Air
Malta
Air Italy
air Arabia
Air Tahiti Nui
Virgin Atlantic
Spirit
Caribbean Airlines
Air Seychelles
All found in a 10-minute search of liveries, likely many others
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:52 pm

Looks like a few major airlines have a bad design:
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Swiss
Finnair
Virgin Atlantic
JAL
I think the Japanese have more sensible taste than that:

Bankrupt (that explains a lot ):
WOW
Not Real Airlines (read regional or limited INTL service):
SouthWest
Jet Blue
Fiji
Frontier
Gulf Air
Malta
Air Italy
air Arabia
Air Tahiti Nui
Spirit
Caribbean Airlines
Air Seychelles
That being said, regardless of who uses that style it is tacky and distasteful. The fact that Spirit uses this should speak volumes to how inappropriate it is for any lebacy airline, UA or otherwise to use it. If we wanted to be flying around in a large billboard that happened to be carrying self loading cargo, we would have chosen Spirit over UA!

-James
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I just wish United would stop wasting time on paint jobs and improve their crappy service instead.
kale73 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Spirit and Frontier

And WOW is history @:-)

FWIW, I like the largre font.

Livery itself, meh ...

Not a fan of "Our Eskimo," but AS did it MUCH better ^
FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Looks like a few major airlines have a bad design:

I think the Japanese have more sensible taste than that:

So half-dozen major carriers and a number of others, UA is far from alone on this

And WN is the largest USA domestic airline, might object to be called not a real airline.
Third largest carrier in the world by passenger count (bigger than UA)
#9 by passenger miles, #5 without afliates counted
#6 by routes
#4 in worlwide fleet size
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%...engers_carried
narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2019 at 11:16 pm Reason: WN data
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I just wish United would stop wasting time on paint jobs and improve their crappy service instead.
Brand image and level of service are closely related. You cannot seperate one from the other. For instance seeing the Golden Arches versus a restaurant which has the Michelin star symbol you'll have totally different expectations of speed, price, quality of service, atmosphere, quality of food, etc. Similarly seeing a Spirit bird you'll have a different expectations of service compared to say a SQ bird. This downgrade in brand image by removing gold indicates we'll see more "enhancements" to come from CoUnihound!

-James
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619

I know everyone is quick to call the globe nothing but clip art, but my understanding was that it was inspired from the Worlds Fair Unisphere which puts it into context a bit better, and is kind of iconic...but that’s just my opinion
No, it’s a Continental vestige that has nothing to do with the word ‘United’ or United’s purpose. A proper brand steward would ditch it.
DenverBrian and UAL757222 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.