Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD
Print Wikipost

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This change is a full on construction project - making it a multi level club.

ORD is probably the biggest priority in part because the competition is literally down the hall, and a big new Flagship lounge is getting added there.
multi-level? Is the downstairs welcome space becoming bigger? Are they adding a "perch" above the open area? Intrigued...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N1120A
I question the logic behind closing a large club like B6 right as the high season starts up. Especially one that had a refresh fairly recently.
Recent refresh or not B6 was getting pretty dingy/worn/nonfunctional ok immediately prior to closing.

As others have mentioned this is a big enough project that (as inconvenient and annoying as it is) I don't think would be any less challenging if they waited
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I question the logic behind closing a large club like B6 right as the high season starts up. Especially one that had a refresh fairly recently.
The blocking of Chase passes till December suggests this is a 6 month closure / rebuild. So it probably was going to be disruptive whenever -- and a delay would not match the Polaris intro timeline.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
multi-level? Is the downstairs welcome space becoming bigger? Are they adding a "perch" above the open area? Intrigued...
Can't find it but someone from UA tweeted a few weeks ago a construction photo. Looks like the lower level is expanding to be much more than a welcome space.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can't find it but someone from UA tweeted a few weeks ago a construction photo. Looks like the lower level is expanding to be much more than a welcome space.

It's on page 8.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
UA.com's shows NO club in ORD with shower facility at the moment. Is that right? I know they're renovating, but no shower at all @ their biggest hub seems surprising.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by italdesign
UA.com's shows NO club in ORD with shower facility at the moment. Is that right? I know they're renovating, but no shower at all @ their biggest hub seems surprising.
This is correct. Nada at the moment during the Polaris renovations.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:59 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
That B6 Club was in desperate shape. Have to rip the band-aid off sooner rather than later and I don't think waiting for a seasonally slower travel time really would have made all that big of a difference on the inconvenience experienced by the average club member. I'm just happy that they started the project ASAP.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Agree, there never would have been a good time to close down B6 and expect B18 to be able to handle the overflow capacity. I think the one saving grace is that if SMI/J was still in charge, they probably would have banned full club members and only allowed One-Time Pass holders to enter.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

h/t: @gavinmolloy
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764

h/t: @gavinmolloy
So is this taking all or some of the old security zone at the end of terminal 1?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:53 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
So is this taking all or some of the old security zone at the end of terminal 1?
Seems like all. They've really expanded the number of lanes down at the regular security lines. Also saw them training sniffer dogs on my way through yesterday so hopefully that could help speed things up.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Now that you say that, I did notice that there was a huge wall up at the previously active security checkpoint just last week. This is a big ^^^ if the case, all the lounges at ORD are crowded, this should certainly help!
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by JubJub
I can understand why they ban the 1-time passes during renovations. They need to provide for those that pay for lounge access.
..?
I can understand not selling day passes to walk-ups. But as someone who ispaying for a UA credit card, with the club access being a noticeable perk, I'd make the case that I have paid for access.

When I went to SFO last year, there was a club that was closed; I had to use their other. But to basically block out the entire airport (if you are changing through Term 1, is it practical to go over to Term, just for it's club access?), that's a bit extreme.

Maybe an alternative would have been to restrict or eliminate guests.

Jeff
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jwhite4
I can understand not selling day passes to walk-ups. But as someone who ispaying for a UA credit card, with the club access being a noticeable perk, I'd make the case that I have paid for access.

When I went to SFO last year, there was a club that was closed; I had to use their other. But to basically block out the entire airport (if you are changing through Term 1, is it practical to go over to Term, just for it's club access?), that's a bit extreme.

Maybe an alternative would have been to restrict or eliminate guests.

Jeff
I'm not so sure. Day pass buyers and club members pay a significant premium for lounge access as compared to MPE cardholders with one-time-use passes. Reducing benefits like guest privileges impacts the benefits of those users almost exclusively. The one-time-use passes, due to their nature and limited quantity (2x annually) are more like bonuses than core benefits of card membership.

In any event, this restriction is a small, time-limited concession at a single airport with an alternative (albeit less convenient for some travelers) option available for CC pass holders. The result will be a better lounge experience at which to redeem the passes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.