Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 4, 19, 6:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 11, 2:31 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,558
Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Worst to Best:

- F Club. Nothing good to say about it. I guess it beats the terminal, but not by much.

- B7 Club. No windows, even with the renovation it still feels dark and cave like and there's often a huge line at the gate keeper to get in.

- C Club. Big and expansive with the best tarmac views, but still it's the only club that hasn't been renovated yet and I still find the layout confusing.

- B18 Club. Love the renovation here and the set up. Plus there are windows and about four million outlets.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 10:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

I will have a couple of layovers in Chicago next week and have never used the United Clubs at ORD--or anywhere for that matter. Just got the Presidential Plus card and will be traveling with my wife and two teenage kids. I noticed that there are three or four clubs in the domestic terminals. We are flying domestic but coming in F concourse and flying out of either B or C. Anyone have an opinion about which of the lounges would be better?

Also, I am a newbie Club member and don't know what to expect. If we are there during a meal, is it OK to bring something in? I like to eat at the Rick Bayless Torta place, but would prefer not to spend time there if I'm going to go to the lounge anyway.

Are there other things I should know about what to expect and any details that experienced club members can share? I know that the main things the kids will be doing is checking e-mail and Facebook. My wife and I will just be looking for a quiet place to read and relax and perhaps have a glass of wine.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Happy Holiday traveling to all!
augkor is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 10:53 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BGR; Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 16,006
I prefer the RCC by the low b gates, its fairly roomy. The one in C isn't bad, but can be fairly busy. Skip the club-ette in F.

Can't bring in outside food. And make sure you have your ID handy before you go in, you'll get asked for that.
WIRunner is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 10:57 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,183
Originally Posted by augkor View Post
I will have a couple of layovers in Chicago next week and have never used the United Clubs at ORD--or anywhere for that matter. Just got the Presidential Plus card and will be traveling with my wife and two teenage kids. I noticed that there are three or four clubs in the domestic terminals. We are flying domestic but coming in F concourse and flying out of either B or C. Anyone have an opinion about which of the lounges would be better?
The F RCC is very small, and is usually packed during the day. Avoid it at all costs . If you've got a flight out of B, both of the clubs have been re-modeled. The C club is fairly large, but can be busy in the afternoon/early evenings, when the international bank is departing.

Originally Posted by augkor View Post
Also, I am a newbie Club member and don't know what to expect. If we are there during a meal, is it OK to bring something in? I like to eat at the Rick Bayless Torta place, but would prefer not to spend time there if I'm going to go to the lounge anyway.
Bringing in outside food is not allowed, although I've done it before at SFO. UA did (not sure if CO eliminated this) sell some food items in the RCCs, but, IMO, they were over-priced and not very good.. If you want to eat, I'd grab your food before entering the club.


Originally Posted by augkor View Post
Are there other things I should know about what to expect and any details that experienced club members can share? I know that the main things the kids will be doing is checking e-mail and Facebook. My wife and I will just be looking for a quiet place to read and relax and perhaps have a glass of wine.
Not really. Many drinks are complimentary at the bar, and the wifi is usually decent.

Originally Posted by augkor View Post
Happy Holiday traveling to all!
Same to you

Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
Can't bring in outside food. And make sure you have your ID handy before you go in, you'll get asked for that.
Not necessarily. I was not asked for ID at DCA or ORD on Tuesday. Handed over my BP and was welcomed in.. Now if the OP was visiting a former PC, they might have a dragon that demands ID.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 11:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Posts: 1,673
I prefer the one in C solely because you've usually got a great view of aircraft taxiing by and taking off
rob_flies_ua is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 11:35 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,183
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua View Post
I prefer the one in C solely because you've usually got a great view of aircraft taxiing by and taking off


I enjoyed the departure of a 777 from the C17 club, yesterday. Love the sounds of those Pratt & Whitney engines!
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 11:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Posts: 1,673
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post


I enjoyed the departure of a 777 from the C17 club, yesterday. Love the sounds of those Pratt & Whitney engines!
Or when they've got two 747s lined up on either side of the club (HKG and NRT at the moment?)...
rob_flies_ua is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 12:35 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,687
Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
I prefer the RCC by the low b gates, its fairly roomy. The one in C isn't bad, but can be fairly busy. Skip the club-ette in F.
Agree, that one in B is my favourite as well.
Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
And make sure you have your ID handy before you go in, you'll get asked for that.
Last week when I was in ORD (B RCC and C RCC) I was never asked for ID. The agent asked people for their "ID or BP". Come to think of it, I've never been asked for ID at a RCC. (or I guess "former RCC UCs")
Santander is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 5:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,319
One of the clubs has self serve fountain drinks, which might be nice for the kids. I think it is the one near the higher numbered gates in B, though I am sure someone will quickly correct me if I am wrong.

The other clubs require the bartender for sodas, not self serve.

Walk right by the pitiful club in the F gates.

Have a great trip. Hope you enjoy the inaugural club visit.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 5:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 3,634
Originally Posted by augkor View Post
I will have a couple of layovers in Chicago next week and have never used the United Clubs at ORD--or anywhere for that matter. Just got the Presidential Plus card and will be traveling with my wife and two teenage kids. I noticed that there are three or four clubs in the domestic terminals. We are flying domestic but coming in F concourse and flying out of either B or C. Anyone have an opinion about which of the lounges would be better?

Also, I am a newbie Club member and don't know what to expect. If we are there during a meal, is it OK to bring something in? I like to eat at the Rick Bayless Torta place, but would prefer not to spend time there if I'm going to go to the lounge anyway.

Are there other things I should know about what to expect and any details that experienced club members can share? I know that the main things the kids will be doing is checking e-mail and Facebook. My wife and I will just be looking for a quiet place to read and relax and perhaps have a glass of wine.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Happy Holiday traveling to all!
The guest policy for card holders is member + 2 guests. I don't know if they make exceptions for families traveling together.

Hopefully someone with experience with this will comment.

But if you can't bring all 3 in, you may need to buy a day pass online.

I agree with most of the other posters, the C16 club is the roomiest. The B18 club is next . The B6 club is OK. The F3 club is very small and always crowded. All of the clubs get crowded at peak times.

For eating at O'Hare and then going to one of the clubs, I'd recommend the B18 club. The adjacent area has really good restaurants close by.

Happy Holidays to you and your family. I hope you all have a nice relaxed trip through O'Hare.
cheltzel is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 6:40 am
  #11  
djs
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 822
Prior to reading this thread I was going to go to the club in F on Saturday morning (2 hour layover) however I've been swayed. About how long does it take to get to the F gates from either the B or C club?

If it matters, I'm looking at being there from around 8AM to 10AM.

Last edited by djs; Dec 22, 11 at 7:13 am
djs is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 7:19 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN (MSP)
Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Posts: 1,917
Club Wi-Fi

Keep in mind that your membership only gets one free connection. If you wnat to connect multiple devices you'll need a card from the desk for each one. I've had mixed success getting additional card which has been trending towards the NO end recently. I have a bit better luck with guests getting their own cards but some of the agents at ORD are very protective of the card.

If you try logging in and logging out make sure you go to the actual T-Mobile page and click log-out otherwise it takes sevreal minutes for the system to realize a device has been disconnected and allow for your MP# or card code to be used again.
kenn0223 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 7:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 1,228
Originally Posted by djs View Post
Prior to reading this thread I was going to go to the club in F on Saturday morning (2 hour layover) however I've been swayed. About how long does it take to get to the F gates from either the B or C club?

If it matters, I'm looking at being there from around 8AM to 10AM.
Depending on luggage, you are looking at about a 5 minute walk to the B7 UC and about a 10 minute walk to the B17 UC.

I actually like the F UC when it is not crowded as it looks over the gates. I despise the B7 club as there are no windows out and feel very "hospital-like" to me.

If it were me, I would check out how crowded F is and stay there if it is not crowded. Otherwise, I would walk down to the B17 UC.
DawgmanOH is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 8:41 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Moreland Hills (CLE)
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
The guest policy for card holders is member + 2 guests. I don't know if they make exceptions for families traveling together.

Hopefully someone with experience with this will comment.
Immediate family (two parents and children) - no limit.

If I was traveling with my wife, two children, and my two parents the parents would not qualify for admittance on my card.
Billiken is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 8:48 am
  #15  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ka ʻĀpala Nui
Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Posts: 15,927
Related thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-best-ord.html
FlyinHawaiian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread