FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1959328-discussion-united-clubs-ord-archive.html)

CMK10 Sep 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Worst to Best:

- F Club. Nothing good to say about it. I guess it beats the terminal, but not by much.

- B7 Club. No windows, even with the renovation it still feels dark and cave like and there's often a huge line at the gate keeper to get in.

- C Club. Big and expansive with the best tarmac views, but still it's the only club that hasn't been renovated yet and I still find the layout confusing.

- B18 Club. Love the renovation here and the set up. Plus there are windows and about four million outlets.

augkor Dec 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

I will have a couple of layovers in Chicago next week and have never used the United Clubs at ORD--or anywhere for that matter. Just got the Presidential Plus card and will be traveling with my wife and two teenage kids. I noticed that there are three or four clubs in the domestic terminals. We are flying domestic but coming in F concourse and flying out of either B or C. Anyone have an opinion about which of the lounges would be better?

Also, I am a newbie Club member and don't know what to expect. If we are there during a meal, is it OK to bring something in? I like to eat at the Rick Bayless Torta place, but would prefer not to spend time there if I'm going to go to the lounge anyway.

Are there other things I should know about what to expect and any details that experienced club members can share? I know that the main things the kids will be doing is checking e-mail and Facebook. My wife and I will just be looking for a quiet place to read and relax and perhaps have a glass of wine.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Happy Holiday traveling to all!

WIRunner Dec 21, 2011 10:53 pm

I prefer the RCC by the low b gates, its fairly roomy. The one in C isn't bad, but can be fairly busy. Skip the club-ette in F.

Can't bring in outside food. And make sure you have your ID handy before you go in, you'll get asked for that.

FriendlySkies Dec 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by augkor (Post 17672408)
I will have a couple of layovers in Chicago next week and have never used the United Clubs at ORD--or anywhere for that matter. Just got the Presidential Plus card and will be traveling with my wife and two teenage kids. I noticed that there are three or four clubs in the domestic terminals. We are flying domestic but coming in F concourse and flying out of either B or C. Anyone have an opinion about which of the lounges would be better?

The F RCC is very small, and is usually packed during the day. Avoid it at all costs :D. If you've got a flight out of B, both of the clubs have been re-modeled. The C club is fairly large, but can be busy in the afternoon/early evenings, when the international bank is departing.

Also, I am a newbie Club member and don't know what to expect. If we are there during a meal, is it OK to bring something in? I like to eat at the Rick Bayless Torta place, but would prefer not to spend time there if I'm going to go to the lounge anyway.

Bringing in outside food is not allowed, although I've done it before at SFO. UA did (not sure if CO eliminated this) sell some food items in the RCCs, but, IMO, they were over-priced and not very good.. If you want to eat, I'd grab your food before entering the club.

Are there other things I should know about what to expect and any details that experienced club members can share? I know that the main things the kids will be doing is checking e-mail and Facebook. My wife and I will just be looking for a quiet place to read and relax and perhaps have a glass of wine.

Not really. Many drinks are complimentary at the bar, and the wifi is usually decent.

Same to you ^

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 17672428)
Can't bring in outside food. And make sure you have your ID handy before you go in, you'll get asked for that.

Not necessarily. I was not asked for ID at DCA or ORD on Tuesday. Handed over my BP and was welcomed in.. Now if the OP was visiting a former PC, they might have a dragon that demands ID.

rob_flies_ua Dec 21, 2011 11:31 pm

I prefer the one in C solely because you've usually got a great view of aircraft taxiing by and taking off :)

FriendlySkies Dec 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua (Post 17672553)
I prefer the one in C solely because you've usually got a great view of aircraft taxiing by and taking off :)

^

I enjoyed the departure of a 777 from the C17 club, yesterday. Love the sounds of those Pratt & Whitney engines!

rob_flies_ua Dec 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 17672562)
^

I enjoyed the departure of a 777 from the C17 club, yesterday. Love the sounds of those Pratt & Whitney engines!

Or when they've got two 747s lined up on either side of the club (HKG and NRT at the moment?)...

Santander Dec 22, 2011 12:35 am

I prefer the RCC by the low b gates, its fairly roomy. The one in C isn't bad, but can be fairly busy. Skip the club-ette in F.

Agree, that one in B is my favourite as well.

And make sure you have your ID handy before you go in, you'll get asked for that.

Last week when I was in ORD (B RCC and C RCC) I was never asked for ID. The agent asked people for their "ID or BP". Come to think of it, I've never been asked for ID at a RCC. (or I guess "former RCC UCs")

goodeats21 Dec 22, 2011 5:09 am

One of the clubs has self serve fountain drinks, which might be nice for the kids. I think it is the one near the higher numbered gates in B, though I am sure someone will quickly correct me if I am wrong.

The other clubs require the bartender for sodas, not self serve.

Walk right by the pitiful club in the F gates.

Have a great trip. Hope you enjoy the inaugural club visit.

cheltzel Dec 22, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The guest policy for card holders is member + 2 guests. I don't know if they make exceptions for families traveling together.

Hopefully someone with experience with this will comment.

But if you can't bring all 3 in, you may need to buy a day pass online.

I agree with most of the other posters, the C16 club is the roomiest. The B18 club is next . The B6 club is OK. The F3 club is very small and always crowded. All of the clubs get crowded at peak times.

For eating at O'Hare and then going to one of the clubs, I'd recommend the B18 club. The adjacent area has really good restaurants close by.

Happy Holidays to you and your family. I hope you all have a nice relaxed trip through O'Hare.

djs Dec 22, 2011 6:40 am

Prior to reading this thread I was going to go to the club in F on Saturday morning (2 hour layover) however I've been swayed. About how long does it take to get to the F gates from either the B or C club?

If it matters, I'm looking at being there from around 8AM to 10AM.

kenn0223 Dec 22, 2011 7:19 am

Club Wi-Fi

Keep in mind that your membership only gets one free connection. If you wnat to connect multiple devices you'll need a card from the desk for each one. I've had mixed success getting additional card which has been trending towards the NO end recently. I have a bit better luck with guests getting their own cards but some of the agents at ORD are very protective of the card.

If you try logging in and logging out make sure you go to the actual T-Mobile page and click log-out otherwise it takes sevreal minutes for the system to realize a device has been disconnected and allow for your MP# or card code to be used again.

DawgmanOH Dec 22, 2011 7:32 am

Originally Posted by djs (Post 17673725)
Prior to reading this thread I was going to go to the club in F on Saturday morning (2 hour layover) however I've been swayed. About how long does it take to get to the F gates from either the B or C club?

If it matters, I'm looking at being there from around 8AM to 10AM.

Depending on luggage, you are looking at about a 5 minute walk to the B7 UC and about a 10 minute walk to the B17 UC.

I actually like the F UC when it is not crowded as it looks over the gates. I despise the B7 club as there are no windows out and feel very "hospital-like" to me.

If it were me, I would check out how crowded F is and stay there if it is not crowded. Otherwise, I would walk down to the B17 UC.

Billiken Dec 22, 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 17673477)
The guest policy for card holders is member + 2 guests. I don't know if they make exceptions for families traveling together.

Hopefully someone with experience with this will comment.

Immediate family (two parents and children) - no limit.

If I was traveling with my wife, two children, and my two parents the parents would not qualify for admittance on my card.

FlyinHawaiian Dec 22, 2011 8:48 am

Related thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-best-ord.html