Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I just want to clarify there are 2 different issues right

1) pakistan airspace closure means no DEL flights,
2) iran closure means no BOM flights

So if Pakistan re-opened, would that mean at least the DEL flights could resume?? (I don't think their flight paths go over Iran right)
Those are the visible facts and it could work that way but probably is a wait and see situation.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Looks like for wholly unused ticket, the only option is a refund. They are NOT rebooking on other carriers anymore. If true, that sucks as I bought the tickets months ago and got a great fare. Trying to buy something on another carrier is coming out a lot higher.

Happy to hear any contradictory reports/ re-booking on other carriers after today.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Hope this helps.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is over a day old article, some of the information in that article is out of date.
Such as the article refers to suspension until Sunday but UA has formally announced suspension until 1st Sept since the article was released.

The rebooking comments also appears to be dated.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Looks like for wholly unused ticket, the only option is a refund. They are NOT rebooking on other carriers anymore. If true, that sucks as I bought the tickets months ago and got a great fare. Trying to buy something on another carrier is coming out a lot higher.

Happy to hear any contradictory reports/ re-booking on other carriers after today.
This seems to be the current guidance now, which has changed with this latest extension of the suspension. If travel has commenced UA will rebook, but if travel has not yet commenced, they are trying to push full refunds rather than rebook, because I imagine they are hemmhoraging cash on LH/LX/ANA rebooking. I ran into resistance, took the full refund and booked a new itinerary on EK. Cost quite a bit more, but I didn’t want to fight it, I understand the UA position on this and wasn’t sure what rights one has for situations like this to insist on a Star Alliance rebooking.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmOneTwo
wasn’t sure what rights one has for situations like this to insist on a Star Alliance rebooking.
Reading the CoC it looks like technically they get to choose whether to rebook you or refund you if the cancellation is due to Force Majeure (which includes int'l conflict, etc.). Usually they give you the choice but looks like not in this case.

Force Majeure Event - In the event of a Force Majeure Event, UA without notice, may cancel, terminate, divert, postpone, or delay any flight, right of carriage or reservations (whether or not confirmed) and determine if any departure or landing should be made, without any liability on the part of UA. UA may re-accommodate Passengers on another available UA flight or on another carrier or combination of carriers, or via ground transportation, or may refund any unused portions of the Ticket in the form of a travel certificate.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by whitethunder
So if Pakistan re-opened, would that mean at least the DEL flights could resume?? (I don't think their flight paths go over Iran right)
Both BOM and DEL would likely work through Pakistan, but that getting opened up again is a pretty big if.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Big if true. Looks like airspace might be open again.

coolbeans202 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K
just got notified this afternoon that my EWR - DEL flight on October 9 is cancelled.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
This morning United announced that all its DEL flights are suspended till Oct 26th due to the Pakistani air space closure. Now, unexpectedly Pakistan announced that the airspace is open immediately. Will United re-start its flights sooner or will it still be Oct 26th?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
This morning United announced that all its DEL flights are suspended till Oct 26th due to the Pakistani air space closure. Now, unexpectedly Pakistan announced that the airspace is open immediately. Will United re-start its flights sooner or will it still be Oct 26th?
Just a guess, but recently Pakistan extended the closure until July 26. It might mean that United feels they need a minimum of 3 months to restart operations. So I wouldn’t expect it before Oct 15. But who knows.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by villox

Just a guess, but recently Pakistan extended the closure until July 26. It might mean that United feels they need a minimum of 3 months to restart operations. So I wouldn’t expect it before Oct 15. But who knows.
Also guesses on my end - they’d certainly need some lead time to get the flights back - scheduling crew, re-scheduling aircraft, etc. I’d think 3 months is way more time than needed - Id be surprised if they'd need longer than a month for that. Given this all just happened, maybe they’ll roll back the re-start dates to sometime in late Aug/early Sept.

the things that I could see that might be a factor in not doing that is getting the sales they need - given they’ve offered everyone refunds - many who probably have already taken advantage. If they can’t fill the planes again, they may not want to send them. Maybe they could allow those that we’re booked and refunded to get those seats back at the existing price if they re-instated some of the flights - I don’t know.

Other thing that could affect it is perhaps they have re-allocated aircraft schedules based on this and they may not want to go back on that. I was thinking maybe some of the aircraft are backfilling for some of the MAX cancels, though it’s rare to see the ex-CO 777s running domestically - I don’t think I ever have. However, maybe they’ve now scheduled earlier maintenance / Polaris mods with the extra frames.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
UA’s India services are two of its most profitable routes. The J fares are very high and my GPU success rate has been about 10% (with all but one ex-EWR flying on 4th July or Thanksgiving). They’ll be wanting to get them restored as soon as economically viable, which of course means accumulating bookings, so three months out seems about right.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Other thing that could affect it is perhaps they have re-allocated aircraft schedules based on this and they may not want to go back on that. I was thinking maybe some of the aircraft are backfilling for some of the MAX cancels, though it’s rare to see the ex-CO 777s running domestically - I don’t think I ever have. However, maybe they’ve now scheduled earlier maintenance / Polaris mods with the extra frames.
I'm suspicious on this front given how eagerly they canceled EWR-BOM.. it seemed like a convenient front for "we don't have enough aircraft to operate our schedule right now".
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Originally Posted by findark
I'm suspicious on this front given how eagerly they canceled EWR-BOM.. it seemed like a convenient front for "we don't have enough aircraft to operate our schedule right now".
I just flew EWR-ORD on a PMCO 777 a few weeks ago.

I don't think the EWR-BOM cancellation was out of eagerness to better use the aircraft. The FAA banned overflights of Iran. With both Pakistan and Iran closed, was there really any way to keep operating the flight? They flew the last EWR-BOM aircraft home via HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.