Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by guw
I'm on a 016 ticket and cleared into O (F) on LH (SFO-BOS-FRA). I'm within the 24h check-in window of the first UA leg. Will that upgrade be taken away when I change the first leg from tomorrow morning to tonight? The 1K hotline said there is a pretty good chance it will be kicked. Any bullet-proof way to make it work?
It can be done. You need an agent who knows what they are doing. They need to store the UGed segment appropriately and only change the UA segment. I had this done during irop and the LH UGed segment stayed in place. I was worried, but it all worked out ... the agent sounded like he knew what he was doing.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I’m new to using GPUs on LH, so was just curious. What are the chances of upgrade, normally? Flight (FRA-HND) is F3A3 at the moment, but no O. I’m on a D fare. Am I running an OK chance of getting an upgrade, or should I move to another day with more F space (though still no O space)? Will LH fill up the cabin with upgrades or do they do like JAL where the last F seat always remains for sale?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I’m new to using GPUs on LH, so was just curious. What are the chances of upgrade, normally? Flight (FRA-HND) is F3A3 at the moment, but no O. I’m on a D fare. Am I running an OK chance of getting an upgrade, or should I move to another day with more F space (though still no O space)? Will LH fill up the cabin with upgrades or do they do like JAL where the last F seat always remains for sale?
Depends on how far out the flight is F3A3. Within a week, I'd say your chances are good. A3 means LH is still willing to sell discounted F. The waitlist priority is opaque at LH, but fare class is a heavy factor. No experience with the FRA-HND route, but I'd say decent shot. IME, they will fill the cabin, but like UA and others, they may wait until boardling to fill the last seat.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Depends on how far out the flight is F3A3. Within a week, I'd say your chances are good. A3 means LH is still willing to sell discounted F. The waitlist priority is opaque at LH, but fare class is a heavy factor. No experience with the FRA-HND route, but I'd say decent shot. IME, they will fill the cabin, but like UA and others, they may wait until boardling to fill the last seat.
Gotcha. Thanks for that. What about if O space is available? The following day is F5A5 and has O space, so I'm considering just changing into there if that'll do an instant confirmed upgrade.

[edit] haha in the meantime LH cleared my upgrade. woohoo!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:09 am
guw

Gotcha. Thanks for that. What about if O space is available?
If O space is available any GPU request should clear immediately. My waitlisted GPU cleared about a week before departure with F5A4 availability.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Gotcha. Thanks for that. What about if O space is available? The following day is F5A5 and has O space, so I'm considering just changing into there if that'll do an instant confirmed upgrade.

[edit] haha in the meantime LH cleared my upgrade. woohoo!
Fantastic news!

Originally Posted by guw
If O space is available any GPU request should clear immediately. My waitlisted GPU cleared about a week before departure with F5A4 availability.

Not exactly true. Strong indicator, but not a guarantee (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, EK Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Howdy,

so, I had a booking MUC-SFO in V class and looked at Global Premier Upgrades in order to get an upgrade going (as I had 2 stale and almost expired GPU sitting around).
I previously remembered, it had to be a pretty high eco to be upgraded...
The following Lufthansa fare classes are eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, H, J, M, Q, U and Y
Taking the naive approach requested an upgrade via the UA GPU page anyway - and, I was immediately on the waitlist - huh?
Now, 7d before flight, this (to my surprise) this booking in V cleared to I.

Anyone else who had this kind of luck?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH/UA recently changed the eligible booking classes for GPUs... P&Z now also qulaify for upgrades to F/O
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Hm, this change does not seem to be reflected in the current T&C?
  1. Upgradeable fare classes: This upgrade is subject to availability. The following Lufthansa fare classes are not eligible for upgrade: Z, P, V, W, S, T, N, L, K, R, X, I, O, ID, AD and IP. Lufthansa reserves the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.
Is there consolidated information on this matter available?

Thnx.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Not yet. The scheme only starts April 20, but seems to be active on the SAU platform already for M&M evouchers and UA GPU. M&M allows the use of evouchers on M, H, Q, S, U, V, W already, I'm suspecting the updates to the SAU system have activated the same classes for UA GPUs as for M&Mevouchers. I for one wouldn't question a good change too much with anyone and just enjoy it.... more here: LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:49 pm

OK thnx, sounds good - the second LH V class just cleared. Sometimes, one is lucky
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

ual.com GPU upgrade process for LH tickets seem to have problems today
I tried 3 times without success.

Anyone else has the same problem ??
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Not yet. The scheme only starts April 20, but seems to be active on the SAU platform already for M&M evouchers and UA GPU. M&M allows the use of evouchers on M, H, Q, S, U, V, W already, I'm suspecting the updates to the SAU system have activated the same classes for UA GPUs as for M&Mevouchers. I for one wouldn't question a good change too much with anyone and just enjoy it.... more here: LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
had two UA GPU clear to F from a biz P fare MUC-SFO on APR-11. Nice to see these discounted fares classes be eligible
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Arrive Business in MUC, depart First from MUC

Applied GPU for upgrade from C to F on the MUC-LAX leg of my 2-leg flight. Arriving at MUC in Biz, departing from MUC in First.
Last time I was in F for both legs, similar scenario but in FRA, a car picked me up from my 1st flight on the tarmac.
Will a car pick me up from my arriving (Biz) flight into MUC to take me to my connecting MUC-LAX (F) flight (or perhaps to a transit lounge)?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:17 am

The car pick up is only for aircraft arriving at an outside (bus) position. Also A380 arrivals in MUC T2S (Gates L30 and L13) have drivers meeting F pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.