Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:26 am
GeP

Booked as E, upgraded to I, awarded as M

An interesting experience for a flight last week:

I was booked into E (medium premium economy fare) on LH stock, upgraded via a GPU (which cleared a few hours prior to departure), but now got awarded as an M (economy) fare - with 100% RDM and PQM instead of 150%.

How do I best go about this?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:04 am
guw

Originally Posted by GeP
I was booked into E (medium premium economy fare) on LH stock, upgraded via a GPU (which cleared a few hours prior to departure), but now got awarded as an M (economy) fare - with 100% RDM and PQM instead of 150%.

Looks like an excessive process is ahead of you. I'd suggest collecting all the material and then sending it to custom service via email or fax/letter (with copies). I did that once with Air Canada to request and ORC after LH screwed up a feeder flight and put me onto an alternative route with less miles. I almost gave up after no sign for weeks when finally it cleared.

From the wiki:
[...] It seems patience, persistence and document of the original paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by GeP
An interesting experience for a flight last week:

I got it fixed just by calling, but it was an 016 ticket which made things a lot easier.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
New LH Upgrade Policy; GPU impact?

LH recently changed its policy on upgrades for Miles and More members. Now all paid Business class tickets can be upgraded with Miles and More eVouchers.

Considering this, any guesses if LH might open up other paid Business class fares to upgrades with United GPUs? Sure would be great to be able to upgrade a P or Z fare to First Class with a GPU.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:30 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sannmann
LH recently changed its policy on upgrades for Miles and More members. Now all paid Business class tickets can be upgraded with Miles and More eVouchers.

Considering this, any guesses if LH might open up other paid Business class fares to upgrades with United GPUs? Sure would be great to be able to upgrade a P or Z fare to First Class with a GPU.
I'm booked into a P class fare for today (3/29), ICN-FRA. When I enter the information into the United online upgrade form, it confirms "Upgrades are available for this flight. By confirming your request below, 1 Global Premier Upgrade(s) will be deducted from your MileagePlus account."

I'm not going to go through with it -- business is completely sufficient -- I'll rather safe the GPU for a night upgrade from PE or Eco to Business. The incremental value is much higher that way.

HTB.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by htb
I'm booked into a P class fare for today (3/29), ICN-FRA. When I enter the information into the United online upgrade form, it confirms "Upgrades are available for this flight. By confirming your request below, 1 Global Premier Upgrade(s) will be deducted from your MileagePlus account."

I'm not going to go through with it -- business is completely sufficient -- I'll rather safe the GPU for a night upgrade from PE or Eco to Business. The incremental value is much higher that way.

HTB.
I got the same message for a long-haul P fare on LH that I have booked in May. I am reluctant to go through with it because there's been no announcement that eligible fare classes may have been expanded, and I don't want to get in "trouble" for breaking the rules.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Talking

I got the same message for a long-haul P fare on LH that I have booked in May. I am reluctant to go through with it because there's been no announcement that eligible fare classes may have been expanded, and I don't want to get in "trouble" for breaking the rules.
But LH F would be worth the risk.... The old adage seems to apply well here - better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Plus, inquiring minds of FT want to know.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmanirish
But LH F would be worth the risk.... The old adage seems to apply well here - better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Plus, inquiring minds of FT want to know.
Agree - if willing to spend a GPU to go from P to O (I would be), seems the worst you can end up with is back in Business.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:55 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
LOL how the airlines place fear in us. You're not going to get in trouble for something their website let you do. IF anything happens, you just "didnt know"
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmanirish
But LH F would be worth the risk....
Originally Posted by findark
Agree - if willing to spend a GPU to go from P to O (I would be), seems the worst you can end up with is back in Business.
And going from P fare to LH F would be the ultimate use of a GPU.

I may have to book a couple of LH Ps just to check this out.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I wonder how much United pays Lufthansa for each GPU used. I guess for them one additional way to keep business pricing opaque, especially with the high fare codes needed for Econ-> Biz
This P-> F sounds awesome! Wish I had GPUs left over for the year (all already applied/waitlisted on myself/family), as I fly LH in biz quite a few times a year
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Just a successful datapoint:

Booked a ticket containing a LH flight in Q from FRA-PVG which was showing I9 on the 744.

Used the online upgrade link, instantly upgraded me to business and withdrew the GPU. Couldn't select seats online, so called it in, and now I'm in 4D and couldn't be happier
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Advice on LH GPU process

Hi, I've never tried a GPU on LH, but I have a round trip thru FRA in business and one lonely GPU expiring at the end of April, so why not? Here's the situation: 016 ticket stock,GS traveler, LH flight numbers, Z class, flying LH403 EWR=FRA on 19-April and 430 FRA-ORD on 22-April. When I go in to the UA website to apply for the upgrade, it says the upgrade is not currently available but I can be added to the waitlist. When I look on the United website in Expert Mode, both of those flights show F0 A0, and it won't sell a first class ticket on the flights. However, when I go through LH, it's perfectly happy to sell F and it appears there are 4 seats open (from the seat map).

Any advice? Is there the equivalent of Expert Mode on LH that can see the likelihood of an upgrade. Should I just put the upgrade down on the return flight (preferable for me than the outbound) and hope for the best? If I knew it was not going to clear, then I'd probably find some friend or relative for whom I could gift it, but if it doesn't ultimately clear, there won't be much time. Any thoughts from those experienced in this process would be welcome. What would you figure the likelihood of a GS getting this upgrade?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the wiki, Z fares are not GPU eligible.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Hi, I've never tried a GPU on LH, but I have a round trip thru FRA in business and one lonely GPU expiring at the end of April, so why not? Here's the situation: 016 ticket stock,GS traveler, LH flight numbers, Z class, flying LH403 EWR=FRA on 19-April and 430 FRA-ORD on 22-April. When I go in to the UA website to apply for the upgrade, it says the upgrade is not currently available but I can be added to the waitlist. When I look on the United website in Expert Mode, both of those flights show F0 A0, and it won't sell a first class ticket on the flights. However, when I go through LH, it's perfectly happy to sell F and it appears there are 4 seats open (from the seat map).
The UA site is showing codeshare inventory, which is different from what LH actually has available.

I would waitlist it. Outbound is F3A1, return is F2A0. Outbound has slightly higher chance, but return would be a better use.

Originally Posted by TomMM
According to the wiki, Z fares are not GPU eligible.
They are now. Brand new change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.