FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1955695-ua-mailing-baggage-handle-wraps-1k-gs-customers-archive.html)

LaserSailor Jun 26, 2013 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 20990206)
Hopefully they change colors every year. You just KNOW people will hang onto them and when they don't qualify for 1K or get invited to GS they will just keep it on their bag and get a benefit they are no longer entitled to. I see total abuse in the system after the first year. And now knowing what they look like I could very easily go get one made, but I won't as I always check my bag anyways.

I think GS shoud get their choice of luggage handle color first, followed by 1K ...of course 24 hours before shipment, offer a 19.99 colour choice

goodeats21 Jun 26, 2013 5:15 am

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy (Post 20990403)
Maybe you missed the other thread(s) - The new yellow handle is for GS/1K RJ gate checked bags. It is so GS/1K receive the bags first. They are the last bags to be loaded and the first to be offloaded and delivered planeside.

If that is the case (and yes, I did read the other thread) then the marketing/messaging to the end customer is really bad.

I am only going by what was posted as I have not yet received mine. If this is supposed to be a "benefit" like priority tags on a bag, it is not clearly communicated.

In the midst of the continuing downgrades to the program, if this is an actual benefit it should be SHOUTED in the delivery. To me, this reads like a freebie swag thing supposed to help me not get my rollerboard confused with all the others...except they are apparently mailing the same thing to all elites.

And again, unless it is buried in the fine print on the package, there is no mention that this is any type of elite program.

kale73 Jun 26, 2013 7:09 am

I wonder how long it will be before some Asian entrepreneur offers cheap knockoff handle wraps on SkyMall.

FC ORD Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Chukiechz (Post 20990727)
Maybe its just the picture, but looks like it would come off and get lost very easily!

Received mine today in Chicago. They are actually pretty well made with enough Velcro to keep them on, and with just a bit of loose stitching around the "MADE IN CHINA" tag. They will not wrap around a really thick handle, but should work fine for most folks.

Ari Jun 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 20991950)
If that is the case (and yes, I did read the other thread) then the marketing/messaging to the end customer is really bad.

I am only going by what was posted as I have not yet received mine. If this is supposed to be a "benefit" like priority tags on a bag, it is not clearly communicated.

In the midst of the continuing downgrades to the program, if this is an actual benefit it should be SHOUTED in the delivery. To me, this reads like a freebie swag thing supposed to help me not get my rollerboard confused with all the others...except they are apparently mailing the same thing to all elites.

And again, unless it is buried in the fine print on the package, there is no mention that this is any type of elite program.

I think the two are unrelated.

Baze Jun 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 20991950)

I think it is only 1K and GS, not all elites.

scosprey Jun 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by kale73 (Post 20992330)
I wonder how long it will be before some Asian entrepreneur offers cheap knockoff handle wraps on SkyMall.

Yes, or I wonder, if you just wrapped yellow masking tape around the handle, with your elite tag still attached?

CopperSteve Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am

Received my Handle Wrap today. (Yes, the "H" and "W" should be capitalized at all times.)

If I book award travel for someone, can I lend her my Handle Wrap? Will her bag be as special as mine? Is there a chance the Handle Wrap will be confiscated?

I have an old, personalized Pan Am luggage tag. If I use the Handle Wrap on the same bag with a Pan Am luggage tag, is this afoul of UA's T&Cs?

So many questsions...

belynch Jun 27, 2013 8:45 am

You mean I no longer have to tip the guy loading the bags a few bucks to put mine on last? :-:

dogloverjb Jun 27, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Eadward (Post 20948122)
They don't stay...

I couldn't get my metal cord/metal MM tag to stay on. Have doubts about this. Plus, who takes off last year's tag?

Chukiechz Jun 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I dont see the benefits of the 1K tags, so I dont even bother putting them on. I do notice many people like to show them off though.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Ms. Trash and I got ours today in Houston. Got the duct tape out to wrap them securely to their respective handles.

cova Jun 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Received UA gold colored luggage handle wrap

As 1K - received a gift from UA - gold colored luggage handle wrap

Set your bag apart when you travel.

You're among our best customers, and the enclosed Mileage Plus handle wrap is a token of our appreciation. Whether your next trip is for business, pleasure or both, it will help to identify your luggage quickly - especially when locating gate-checked, green tagged bags on the jet bridge - so you can be on your way faster. Thank you for choosing United. We look forward to seeing you on board again soon.
At first I thought this was a way to eliminate priority bag tagging, but then I thought - this is targeted for gate-checked luggage where there is no priority tag. Maybe the gate baggage handlers will bring these gold wrapped handled carry bags out first !

Thanks UA - very nice token.

Baze Jun 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by cova (Post 21008442)
As 1K - received a gift from UA - gold colored luggage handle wrap

Set your bag apart when you travel.

At first I thought this was a way to eliminate priority bag tagging, but then I thought - this is targeted for gate-checked luggage where there is no priority tag. Maybe the gate baggage handlers will bring these gold wrapped handled carry bags out first !

Thanks UA - very nice token.

There is already a thread about this and yes, it is for gate check on RJ's to get it faster.

EsquireFlyer Jun 28, 2013 5:49 pm

I got this too. I doubt that the ground staff will actually bother bringing these up first though. They barely even follow Priority tags...

Can I return this for a waiver of the PQD requirement instead?