FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1955695-ua-mailing-baggage-handle-wraps-1k-gs-customers-archive.html)

EWR764 Jun 18, 2013 7:25 am

There are plenty of major, yet RJ-heavy stations that still require pax to line up inside the jetway to wait for their bags to be delivered. EWR, LAX, some SFO, DFW, LGA immediately come to mind. This will be a tangible benefit if executed well.

bldr1k Jun 18, 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by JONEZY00 (Post 20942900)
On gate checked bags I find its usually first to board last to get your bags (FILO)

On checked bags I have had great experience 80% of the time by bags is within the first 5 to arrive.

Yup. I always board last on express flights.

DENflyer3 Jun 18, 2013 9:42 am

Now this is a change I WILL REALLY LIKE!!!!

nevansm Jun 18, 2013 10:14 am

I hope these actually come this time, I was really excited when pmUA trialed this but it never made it to the whole network. If they do... ^^^^

Dwimmerlaik Jun 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Being based out of COS and flying back/forth to DEN generally 2x per week on my way to other destinations, this would definitely be a benefit, but probably more in COS where they hand you your bag on the jetway as they are offloaded than in DEN where the RJ terminal uses a cart delivery system where all of the bags are loaded on a cart and either wheeled to the tarmac where passengers are waiting (for turboprop planes) or placed in the "elevator" that lifts the entire cart up to the jet bridge level.

c502cid Jun 18, 2013 1:42 pm

As a 1K who flies COS-DEN a bunch, the trial worked great at COS, and about 1/3 of the time they were front and center on the cart at DIA. I was bummed when they discontinued it and an angry Skywest gate agent ripped it off my bag after the trial stopped.

goodeats21 Jun 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Nice enough idea....I have no confidence in the pathetic UAX contract staff to implement it with any level of consistency or accuracy.

vsevolod4 Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Great idea. I do gate check on RJs and hate that 5 minute wait to pick up your bag. At least I should get it off first.
Assuming the luggage tags are actually being used to determine which bags to offload first.
Experience domestically for checked "Priority" bags has been generally unfavorable - internationally I've had good experience most of the time.

xzh445 Jun 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 20940891)
Seems duplicative for UA to come up with new yellow handles to go on our bags when GS/1K are already issued luggage tags.

Not really. If a flyer was issued a luggage tag in a previous year (due to earned status), and then was not GS/1K this year....you really think that they would remove their tag? :cool:

WineCountryUA Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 20940891)
Seems duplicative for UA to come up with new yellow handles to go on our bags when GS/1K are already issued luggage tags.

some have had issues with the staying power of the UA elite tags.

halls120 Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Given today's announcement about spend requirements to reach elite status, I don't think UA will need to buy very many tags. ;)

sammyindc Jun 18, 2013 4:11 pm

I like this only if the Priority tags will actually mean something.
I've had priority tags on my checked bags for years now, and 50% of the time, they come out first, the other 50% of the time, it doesn't really make a difference.

RazorSoup Jun 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Whoa - whoa - whoa - These new gate check tags are only half the equation. As others have pointed out, this only really benefits locations where you wait in the jetway for the bags to be thrown up one or two at a time. But in order for this system to work properly, there needs to be an exclusive 1k/GS waiting area in the jetway so that we can get to our bags first without having to bowl over the others standing in front of us. How about some ultra-classy blue "red carpet" rugmats that only 1k/GS are allowed to loiter on while waiting for bags? Or maybe we can make all the kettles stay on those cramped RJs until after our bags have been presented to us - kind of like deplaning by boarding group as well! Now that I'm thinking about it, there are those two pairs of conveyor belts traveling each direction at ORD between B and C - we need to insist that they make the inner belts going each direction as 1k/GS only!!! :p :p :p

Eadward Jun 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 20946965)
some have had issues with the staying power of the UA elite tags.

They don't stay...

UA-NYC Jun 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eadward (Post 20948122)
They don't stay...

Insider tip - get AA status, take one of the two rubber (much higher quality than UA) tag holders they provide, and use it for your UA tag :D