FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1955695-ua-mailing-baggage-handle-wraps-1k-gs-customers-archive.html)

UnitedFlyGuy Jun 17, 2013 6:47 pm

This is for RJs. If a GS/1K your bag will receive a yellow handle to go over the handle on the bag. Ramp agents will load these last and take these off first. They will be the first bags on the jetway.

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 20940410)
I have my issued 1K luggage tag on my gate check suitcase and have usually gotten it back pretty quick.

The luggage tags don't have any influence on gate check bags. This new system with the yellow handles will.

Duke787 Jun 17, 2013 6:52 pm

This would be a huge ^ if it's true. When I have tight connections (30 - 40 minutes) I often end up checking my bag since it sometimes can take 10 - 15 minutes to get my bag up to the jetbridge even with my 1K tag on my bag and at IAD, IAH, EWR, that amount of time can = missing the flight. I've found that often my bag is one of the last to come out when I gate check, likely because I'm usually one of the first to board and therefore my bag gets handed down to the tarmac quickly and loaded early.

UnitedFlyGuy Jun 17, 2013 6:57 pm

To clear the confusion - this is happening. Suppose to start 7/1 but I haven't heard anything since they initially sent out a memo.

Also to clean confusion - the elite luggage tags don't mean anything when it comes to checked bags on RJs. This is why this new system is being implemented. The new handle will expedite handling for top tier elites.

Duke787 Jun 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Question though, how are they planning to verify when someone is a GS / 1K when boarding the plane, you know since Zone 1 isn't just for GS / 1K? Are they going to send me something in the mail or just ask me every single time before I board an RJ if I'm GS / 1K? Or is it just on the honor system in which case it's a waste of time. Given that turn times for RJs are usually about 20 minutes, I envision UA finding a way to make boarding take even longer if they have to ask each and every person in Zone 1 if they are GS / 1K...

FriendlySkies Jun 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 20940852)
Question though, how are they planning to verify when someone is a GS / 1K when boarding the plane, you know since Zone 1 isn't just for GS / 1K? Are they going to send me something in the mail or just ask me every single time before I board an RJ if I'm GS / 1K? Or is it just on the honor system in which case it's a waste of time. Given that turn times for RJs are usually about 20 minutes, I envision UA finding a way to make boarding take even longer if they have to ask each and every person in Zone 1 if they are GS / 1K...

When the real UA did the trial on COS-DEN, the GA just handed out the priority tags to those with 1K/GS/1P BPs. I suppose they could do it the same way..

sannmann Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy (Post 20940753)
This is for RJs. If a GS/1K your bag will receive a yellow handle to go over the handle on the bag. Ramp agents will load these last and take these off first. They will be the first bags on the jetway.

The luggage tags don't have any influence on gate check bags. This new system with the yellow handles will.

Seems duplicative for UA to come up with new yellow handles to go on our bags when GS/1K are already issued luggage tags.

UA-NYC Jun 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 20940718)
That's most airports... so I wonder at how much effect this will actually have if implemented.

It somehow has worked quite well on AA! ^

Kacee Jun 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 20940891)
Seems duplicative for UA to come up with new yellow handles to go on our bags when GS/1K are already issued luggage tags.

The issued tags say nothing about current status - could be years old. Also, I have more than two bags in regular rotation and it's a crapshoot which tag is on the particular bag I'm using.

WhyPayRent Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann:20940891

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy (Post 20940753)

Also those tags last 2.5 flights with those quality plastic straps. Even with the better, leather GS tag I pull it off my roller and put it on my smaller bag if I am gate checking the roller.

5khours Jun 17, 2013 9:11 pm

That would be great.

1. Shows UA cares about GS/1K

2. Won't cost UA much.

3. Other than the poor seating, waiting on a cold/hot jet bridge is the main reason I dislike RJs.

northsideguy Jun 18, 2013 3:57 am

Just spoke to a GA @ MKE that I know. She saw the memo and believes the yellow tag is a permenant one that will be mailed to GS /1K's and not a paper one issused at the gate. She is usually pretty good at keeping current on new procedures. Sorry if this is sloppy but I'm trying to write this on the plane before doors close. Safe Travels !

edcho Jun 18, 2013 4:05 am

Originally Posted by northsideguy (Post 20942520)
Just spoke to a GA @ MKE that I know. She saw the memo and believes the yellow tag is a permenant one that will be mailed to GS /1K's and not a paper one issused at the gate. She is usually pretty good at keeping current on new procedures. Sorry if this is sloppy but I'm trying to write this on the plane before doors close. Safe Travels !

Thanks for the additional confirmation.

I guess it makes sense as it would save $MI/J a few $$$ in paper.

jeebus Jun 18, 2013 4:29 am

After flying RJs quite a bit this year, I think it's smart to introduce this low-cost benefit for top elite passengers.

I'd resorted to testing time of boarding to see if it impacted how quickly they brought up my luggage. It didn't matter at all -- somehow my bag was consistently among the last. I'm sure it's just bad luck, but it added to my frustration of having to fly on RJs in the first place.

JONEZY00 Jun 18, 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by dorisrpas (Post 20940526)
I'd be interested in hearing other 1Ks experience with this.

On gate checked bags I find its usually first to board last to get your bags (FILO)

On checked bags I have had great experience 80% of the time by bags is within the first 5 to arrive.

neo_781 Jun 18, 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 20940906)
It somehow has worked quite well on AA! ^

I know you've said it twice in this thread but you may want to check out this recent conversation. In my experience it works about 40-60% of the time. Which is still good but not amazing or consistent like should be. And then toss in stations where they just roll the cart over (or use the lift as in ORD) and its back to all bags at once. It'll be interesting to see how UA implements it.