Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cover point
.... Unless they can find a way to eliminate these BE fares from the corporate sites, ....
This is easily done in the major 3rd party corporate travel agencies. It is up to the corporation / your employer to say include or not. It is done with DL's equivalent and has been reported many corporation have decided to not offer the UA Basic Economy.

It appears this will be a non-issue in major corporations. The small ones that have folks do their only booking will need to address this by policy. But with DL, UA and soon AA doing this, there is not place to run to for national air travel provider (other than WN which has it own pluses and minuses)
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
The answer I'm waiting for is - what routes is this going to be sold on? Routes that compete directly with the actual LCCs (not WN)? LCC with WN too? Only on directs, or on connecting itineraries? Where DL sell BE too? Etc.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan

In theory, UA could publish a Y-BN fare that would allow them to sell the last seat on the plane as basic economy if the flight were Y1 B0 ... N1. Also, in theory, a person could purchase a T-BN fare for $122 in my above list if inventory were Y9 .. T9 L9 K9 G9 N9. I don't know why anyone would, but they could.
In reality, they are probably not going to do that. DL typically only has E fares filed corresponding to their lowest 2 or 3 buckets - T, X, and V. They have a large range of C+ fares, but E fares tend to be fairly restrictive and will often have 2 or 3 week advance purchase requirements.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Clearly (or hopefully) United know what they are doing. For FF (like me) this would be a challenge if the corporate booking engines (we use concur) show these fares. ...

Unless they can find a way to eliminate these BE fares from the corporate sites, I have no incentive to stick to United (as it will have an impact on my ability to get "status"). ...
I have confirmed that Concur has the ability to present Basic Economy fares separately from regular economy fares, or exclude them from search results entirely (pushing you to regular economy fares). It is up to your corporate travel manager (possibly in concert with your travel management company) to decide whether or not they want their travelers to use Basic Economy fares and configure Concur accordingly.

Egencia (Expedia's corporate travel solution) tells me that they exclude Delta Basic Economy fares by default and plan to do so for United Basic Economy fares since neither are targeted to business travelers.

Last edited by Sykes; Dec 16, 2016 at 5:22 pm
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
Like I said, UA is way over complicating this (along with every other airline that has 10 million different fares for the same flight). Why would someone not buy a G fare for $44 want to buy a T-BN fare for $122 and not be able to have a carry on or be able to choose a seat. Just make a fare bucket of N and sell it as an N and say this N fare gets no perks. There should be 3 fares in economy. BE, regular discount economy and full fare economy. BE gets no perks, regular discount economy gets regular perks and full fare gets bonus perks. Simple, the public would understand what they are buying, easy.

They are innovating (via plagiarism) at the bottom of the price stack. lowball meet smallball
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
A coworker was ranting around the watercooler about how Frontier cheated her.
Mind you, this is an otherwise intelligent person who flies overseas long-haul in coach at least once a year.

The complaint was that Frontier's advertised price is $137 to fly her old grandmother one-way from SAN to DCA. She said the final cost she was "forced" to pay was over $400 because of undisclosed fees for checking two bags and having a carry on item. She said they even charged for water on the flight! She thought Spirit is upfront about disclosing extra cost items, but Frontier was not.

The story paints a picture of granny squashed like a pretzel between 28-inch pitch seats, and mulling over whether it is better to hand over her last $5 for a cup of water or keel over from dehydration.

I was pretty speechless. United is less than $500 in first class and Jet Blue is $156 for much better coach services.

So the question for us all to consider is whether these new basic fares are a tax on stupid people?
Just one reason I've never flown an LCC/ULCC.

Well not completely true, I've flown 6E in India, but a completely different market. I have looked to compare when flying domestic US and within EU, and quite frankly, when adding up everything, in the end, it seemed like the legacies actually end up cheaper much of the time. Or less hassle. In terms of going back to the WN talk, I looked when I was in Chicago, and never found them more than a few $ cheaper then UA, but given where I lived, leaving from MDW vs. ORD was also a hassle. All in all, it has never seemed worth it to me.

I could see the BE fares being worth it in very specific cases for some people. Of course, we don't know what the price difference between BE and other available lowest will end up being, but my guess is in most cases, people will probably do better on a non-BE fare.

Originally Posted by BearX220
You don't have to be "stupid" to buy a BE fare but if people shopped more carefully they might make other, better choices.
This. Most people see the lowest price and just buy it, without thinking any further than that. Many buying BE will likely ignore any warnings, because this was $X cheaper, and just complain later, for example, when trying to make a change and finding out they can't, or finding out at the gate they can't bring their roller onboard.

Originally Posted by Sykes
So, they'll book into N, but it will also check the availability of a corresponding non-Basic Economy fare, which enables some form of fare differential pricing. Basically it sounds like they are going to work in a similar way to how the -UP fares work for premium cabin fares.
So sounds like it could potentially be that the BE fares will be lowest available minus $X. So for example, on a given route, the BE fare each way would be, say, $20 less, than whatever the cheapest other lowest is, whether that's a K fare, or an H fare.

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
I can not help but think: How in the world can United develop a product that is of even lower quality than the current. There must have been an expensive consultant to figure that out. How about adding a requirement that a Basic Economy passenger must clean the toilet upon arrival. That was free advise btw.
Sorry, while UA may be the first to add a no carry on rule, these kind of fares have been done for a long time by other carriers. For example, AC has had Tango fares with multiple restrictions (seat assignments, less mileage, etc.) for probably about 15 years. LH has their 'light' fares that doesn't allow any baggage allowance (even for *G) for at least a few. Many EU carriers don't have seat assignments (at least, not without a fee, some may not even allow you to buy them) for intra-EU flight, and some for international flights, too (note LH only allows free seat assignments on V fares or higher, even on long-haul). Many also have had tickets for which changes are not allowed.

UA isn't the first to introduce fares with additional restrictions, and they won't be the last.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
How will they police the no carry on? Force the gate agent to be the heavy?
Best guess is by boarding group, since BE fares will always be in the last group. Speculation sounds about right, since the carry on restriction doesn't apply to elites booking these fares, and they will also continue to receive the benefit of boarding with their elite group. My opinion is this shouldn't happen - everyone buying a BE fare should have the same carry on rules (I know I may get flamed for that).
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone asked the question on our corporate travel forum and they said they are blocking it for DL now and will block it for UA
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I'll plead some ignorance on how fare codes work, but doesn't this just mean that the N will signify you don't get any of the benefits, but the price will be related to the lowest fare available in that market (whether it's K, G, etc.)?

Could you have two people pay the same price, say a K fare, and one can't bring a carry on? Or is this simply related to other fare rules, such as change fees, etc.?
Yes.

No, anyone buying a K fare gets a K fare. But one person could buy a K fare at one price, and someone could later buy an N fare at the H-BN price (some differential below H when H is the lowest available) that is higher than the old K fare was.

Am I reading it right that any fare can be a BE fare, just depends on what the lowest available fare is for that flight? So if someone buys a K fare and there are G fares available the G fare would be the BE fare and get an N on the end. Now the G fares sell out so the next lowest is the K fare and any future K fare become the BE fare? What if everything is 0'd out except for Y,B,M,H, is the H fare now considered a BE fare and gets no benefits?
The BE fare can be a differential to any coach fare, and books into the N booking class.

Why would someone not buy a G fare for $44 want to buy a T-BN fare for $122 and not be able to have a carry on or be able to choose a seat.
Because G would be sold out when they're offering T-BN as the BE fare.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Our corporate travel team just notified us that they're blocking Basic Economy fares in Concur ("This is NOT a business friendly fare").
Old Dec 17, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell

No, anyone buying a K fare gets a K fare. But one person could buy a K fare at one price, and someone could later buy an N fare at the H-BN price (some differential below H when H is the lowest available) that is higher than the old K fare was.
Thanks. So the open question is if K is the lowest regular fare available, will the N fare be the same or lower? And if lower, how much, which I assume could vary by route/market? In order to make the money they say they will on this change, I have to think there won't be much of a difference. In my example, even if the K fare is $600, the N fare has to be $575 for UA to break even, assuming one checked bag on a domestic route. The bag is really the only "guaranteed" buy up they can count on.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is easily done in the major 3rd party corporate travel agencies. It is up to the corporation / your employer to say include or not. It is done with DL's equivalent and has been reported many corporation have decided to not offer the UA Basic Economy.

It appears this will be a non-issue in major corporations. The small ones that have folks do their only booking will need to address this by policy. But with DL, UA and soon AA doing this, there is not place to run to for national air travel provider (other than WN which has it own pluses and minuses)
It is. Unfortunately most companies are not right on top of things all the time and travel definitely may not be the highest priority for companies to change their policies.

The worry is that if by default the concur sites start showing these fares, it may take a year or more for some of these companies to "catchup" with the feedback.

On the point of DL, UA and AA all doing this, fair enough that there is no place to run to. But then if we are not getting miles for say 1/3 of our flights and that causes someone like me to miss out on PLat or 1K, then I would consider my loyalty not worth it. Today some of us go out of our way to focus on one airline (I had AA exec plat for many years and now was planning to go for 1K). There is less incentive to focus on one airline if the airline is not giving miles on these fares.

I think the not giving PQM/PQS on these fares is probably a mistake for UA. You want to give incentive to business travelers to fly united even if you may want to extract baggage fees etc. I would be fine if they have this fare with PQM but still charge me for Carry on.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think the not giving PQM/PQS on these fares is probably a mistake for UA. You want to give incentive to business travelers to fly united even if you may want to extract baggage fees etc. I would be fine if they have this fare with PQM but still charge me for Carry on.
You are missing the entire point.

UA does NOT want business flyers buying this fare, period. These are there to prod people to buy who wouldnt otherwise consider UA. So think of the once-a-year flyer, perhaps the family that does a once a year vacation, or a once a year visit to see grandma. Currently, they are flying, say, Frontier, Spirit or Allegiant. They want to try and reach out to these flyers. UA can say, for example, we have a fare that matches Spirit, plus better benefits (for example, you get a free snack and beverage on board). So these fares can fill the handful of empty seats on a given flight, and get them revenue they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

These are not meant to be attractive to business flyers or FFs. That's why the no PQM, and no changes - most businesses realize they change tickets sometimes, and they'll come to the conclusion (if they don't see it initially, at some point), that the $20 (or whatever) savings on the base ticket won't make sense when one now has to check a bag (that's a loss of time, plus the savings will probably mostly dissipate) and when they need to make a change, they'll have to throw the ticket away and start from new. Or when their people arrive at their destination without rest because they had no way to avoid a middle seat in the back of the aircraft.

I rarely change tickets, but the savings would have to be quite big for me to consider one of these tickets - forget about the lack of PQM.

The point isn't to have current customers buying a lower fare, the idea is to get folks who would probably otherwise give the revenue to an LCC/ULCC to get it to UA instead.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I rarely change tickets, but the savings would have to be quite big for me to consider one of these tickets - forget about the lack of PQM.
The decision is even easier for me as all of my domestic flights are just to get me to an INTL connection and other *A partners. So from the rules, BE fares don't apply.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks. So the open question is if K is the lowest regular fare available, will the N fare be the same or lower? And if lower, how much, which I assume could vary by route/market? In order to make the money they say they will on this change, I have to think there won't be much of a difference.
It will be lower, and yes it can vary by market. DL usually has a difference of between $15 and $40 depending on route length.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks. So the open question is if K is the lowest regular fare available, will the N fare be the same or lower? And if lower, how much, which I assume could vary by route/market? In order to make the money they say they will on this change, I have to think there won't be much of a difference. In my example, even if the K fare is $600, the N fare has to be $575 for UA to break even, assuming one checked bag on a domestic route. The bag is really the only "guaranteed" buy up they can count on.
Yes, N will be some lower fare priced as a differential to the K fare.

I suspect the differentials will vary by market (perhaps just a simple function of distance), from maybe $9 to possibly $90 if they offer them on longhaul (like routes where Norwegian competes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.