Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
That is wishful thinking. I have a feeling Basic Economy will be priced the same as the lowest fare now and regular economy will be have a premium above that.

My question is are Saver Awards going to place on into basic economy?
Yes, my question too about the Saver Awards. I have a lot of miles to use and now am wondering if I should try to book using them before the end of the year.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
A horrible development, but I'm not surprised. I had Premier status on United up until about two years ago, but gave up. No longer worth being loyal to them. I'm just going to use my remaining miles awards with United, and give up on them. They've destroyed the Mileage Plus program, and destroyed any reason to fly with them. The end.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by villox
My company has contracts with both Delta and United, but I haven't had to concern myself with these fares until now as I always fly UA. So I went looking for comparison to a DL flight in Concur. The Basic Economy (E) fare does not show up in the search.

Example of the difference:
MDW-ATL Dec 10-13
E: $136.20
V: $163.44
That is because your employer has programmed E fares out of Concur. That is the whole purpose of Concur. It permits employers to program the travel policy into the software rather than paying people with green eyeshades to review itineraries.

Concur can be programmed to permit full F tickets, refundable travel and so on. Just depends.

A smart business will look at the restrictions on UA's fares and see that they don't make sense for business travel, write them out of the travel policy and thus out of Concur or whatever system is used to monitor rules compliance.

If this fails and UA can't sell the Basic fares, they will just phase out. It's not as though there is a special cabin or 4-4 seating in narrow body, it's just a fare basis.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Assuming that you book a BE fare, would you be allowed to upfare (within 24 hours)? Going from the BE fare class to an "earning" fare class? This isnt an upgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Assuming that you book a BE fare, would you be allowed to upfare (within 24 hours)? Going from the BE fare class to an "earning" fare class? This isnt an upgrade.
You can always make changes within 24hrs, BE fares don't change that. But why would anyone want to do this? I wouldn't think you could upfare after the 24hrs, that's kind of the point of BE fares, no changes...
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You can always make changes within 24hrs, BE fares don't change that. But why would anyone want to do this? I wouldn't think you could upfare after the 24hrs, that's kind of the point of BE fares, no changes...
I can see where if my employer made me book a basic fare, but I could call to pay my own money to upfare (for $27, this would be worth it for me), that this would be attractive.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
I worry about significantly overbooked flights now.... If I hold (I won't ever, but let's say I did) a basic economy ticket and my travel plans change, I'm not cancelling it. Why should I? I'll go to the very last absolute second and then cancel, because it's trash either way and if there is a 0.00000001% chance of using it, I'll hold it. So either flights will be departing much less than full, or UA will begin to bet on this phenomenon and overbook by a fairly large %...

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
This is good. I like it.

No PQM,S;D is good. No more MP members with a low CPM.

If Chase UA cards perk don't change in 2018 will really be a necessity for UA 2016 qualified MP/FF purchasing E- then (now there is E+,E;E- )

Will Oscar begin to be demonized in 2017 as FFers accumulate RDMs but non of the Ps (perks)?

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
What UA will gain in upfront price increases for regular economy (forcing people to up-fare in Y) I bet are offset by loosing loyal customers and they are devaluing the UA brand and MP in the process.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:18 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by gold23
I worry about significantly overbooked flights now.... If I hold (I won't ever, but let's say I did) a basic economy ticket and my travel plans change, I'm not cancelling it. Why should I? I'll go to the very last absolute second and then cancel, because it's trash either way and if there is a 0.00000001% chance of using it, I'll hold it. So either flights will be departing much less than full, or UA will begin to bet on this phenomenon and overbook by a fairly large %...
Is there any evidence of this from Delta and Lufthansa who already operate BE?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:19 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by ermintrude
What UA will gain in upfront price increases for regular economy (forcing people to up-fare in Y) I bet are offset by loosing loyal customers and they are devaluing the UA brand and MP in the process.
Where exactly will they go to? Most airlines have BE already, and I'm pretty sure the rest will go to it as well.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The other revenue boost is in bag charges for some buying BE since the carry-ons are limited.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gold23
Sure, during a transition period until they figure out behavior. But if BE is really aimed at leisure travelers, and those are the ones buying the ticket, most of them are likely to take the flight to the wedding or the birthday or whatever. And its only those tickets whose behavior will change - not the entire cabin. And if overbooked, you know who gets bumped first.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lowfareair
My wonder is how this will affect on-time performance - either people learn quickly that they can't bring a carryon and it helps on-time as there are fewer bags to gate-check, or having the very last travelers to board being the ones who need to pay for their carry-on (and therefore extra time needed to argue, then pull out a credit card and get it processed) hurt it.
The company stated several times in the investor call today that it is going to solve the gate-check issue and reduce turn time.

I'm told this is Scott Kirby's input.
You were very much misled. This was in the works well before Kirby joined up.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
I would think they think the market of loyal customers which will only buy the cheapest seat is not significant enough to pursue via the perks of MP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.