Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by nmenaker
no, but it probably will create a black market for group 1 / 2 to carry peoples bags on for a 20$
Ha! Interesting theory. But I suspect in this security-conscious era, most folks would be exceedingly leery of taking temporary possession of someone else's belongings, even if said belonging has cleared airport security.

I mean, I've watched someone's rollaboard in the gate area while they run to the bathroom, but in that case I haven't actually taken possession of the bag. I think carrying a stranger's bag down the jetbridge would make me quite nervous.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by B_Rosenthal
I'm a little confused....

A) Will Basic Economy fares be a systemwide thing?(including TATL and TPAC flights)

B) what will be the average price difference between Basic Economy and the cheapest EQM-earning economy fares on TATL & TPAC flights? (let's say a Basic Economy TATL roundtrip is $900, will the cheapest EQM-earning fare be $1500?)

C) does a Basic Economy passenger still get free baggage allowance on TATL & TPAC flights?
United hasn't answered the questions, but for Delta...

A) Eventually they will be systemwide. They will probably start out only in markets like ORD-FLL, where NK is a serious competitor.

B) On DL MSP-LHR, it is as little as $25 on a half-round-trip basis ($630 for E, $680 for V r/t a/i). It seems like the inventory requirements are a little strange**, but the fare differential for E is ($25).

C) Hard to tell. Delta allows the normal allowance.

**For the experts following along, because why should anything ever make sense? (bolding mine)

Code:
>$LB1                                                          
001 MSPLON 17NOV16 DL USD  225.00 VLI78BE  STAY-07/12MBK-E     
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
VLI78BE   BASIC SEASON ECONOMY RT UNBUNDLED FARES   E          
VLI78BE   APPLIES FOR ROUND TRIP FARES                         

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA DL  T/E   REQUIRED E    WHEN T AVAILABLE                
   VIA DL                      NO BOOKING CODE DATA EXISTS
ed. Judging from the rest of the fare table, I think the above is an error. DL's intent is V/E and so the fare differential is indeed ($25) per direction.

Last edited by findark; Nov 17, 2016 at 4:33 pm
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:31 pm

Thumbs down

I am so disappointed in this. As a long term loyal customer, I feel my business and loyalty is no longer valued. I am seriously considering switching to AA. I believe they offer challenges to status match. I hope they too do not join in this race to the bottom.

If I wanted to fly a LCC I would most definitely go with Southwest. It's a shame they do not offer business class and long route domestic travel.

It's just despicable to take away lifetime miles. I am scared my corporate policy will make me travel BE. In which case, if it does I will switch to another airline and cancel my United MP credit card and will most likely never fly United again.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by findark

C) Hard to tell. Delta allows the normal allowance.
Even on TATL flights, I usually just have my carry-on and my laptop bag.
If I'm not allowed my carry-on because of the al-cheapo fare that I buy,
can't I just check the carry-on for free?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jr0ck
I am so disappointed in this. As a long term loyal customer, I feel my business and loyalty is no longer valued. I am seriously considering switching to AA. I believe they offer challenges to status match. I hope they too do not join in this race to the bottom.

If I wanted to fly a LCC I would most definitely go with Southwest. It's a shame they do not offer business class and long route domestic travel.

It's just despicable to take away lifetime miles. I am scared my corporate policy will make me travel BE. In which case, if it does I will switch to another airline and cancel my United MP credit card and will most likely never fly United again.
I'm afraid all major carriers eventually copy each other's stupid new rules. Eventually, flying will be about as fun as riding Greyhound buses.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
A) Will Basic Economy fares be a systemwide thing?(including TATL and TPAC flights)
In the long term, perhaps, but in the short term UA has said that N will only be offered for domestic flights and Carribbean/Latin America.

I presume the reason it won't be offered in other markets is UA's JV's/partnerships - Canada (AC), Asia (NH), and Europe (J++).

In the long term, perhaps the product will find its way into these markets too, but I'm sure UA will closely monitor initial performance before jumping into a system-wide rollout. Renegotiating interline/distribution agreements and standardizing fares categories is no mean feat.. UA still uses K as the lowest fare TATL - if it's too much work to introduce G, imagine how difficult it will be to introduce N.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:06 pm

I have an idea....why not paint some old United planes, rebrand and create a spinoff airline, and perhaps name it something like I don't know....TED and the price sensitive folks can fly that airline.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
I have an idea....why not paint some old United planes, rebrand and create a spinoff airline, and perhaps name it something like I don't know....TED and the price sensitive folks can fly that airline.
Rar.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jr0ck
When you visit the AA forum, this would be a good place to start:
New Basic Economy fares now coming Jan 2017 (master thd) ...
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Treeskier
YES - You my friend (original poster) nailed it perfectly. UA has for some reason developed a culture of taking their top tier Elite Flyers (Plat 1K) for granted. It has really become more apparent since the merger. With the consolidations we are down to the Big 3 domestic long hauls. I think UA believes that hub flyers in DEN (Me) or SFO, IAH which have limited Big 3 long haul competition will not defect because they will need to connect. Therefore, why care. Tighten the screws to them however you can. I switched to AA on Feb 1, 2016 (they matched status), and could not be a happier camper. AA CPU 90% of the time - UA CPU 25% as a 1K 2MM Flyer. Yes I need to connect, but after reviewing my previous UA flight patterns for the last two years I had to connect on UA much of the time because they have reduced the frequency and size of the aircraft out of DEN to the point where the Non stops never worked. The bonus in all of this - The Admirals Clubs are far superior - sushi and lobster Mac and cheese not to mention you can actually find a place to sit and work unlike UA Clubs packed with Chase day pass users. Only downside, the old US Air fleet are crap, no "Main Cabin Extra", and their first seats are as horrible as UA First, but they are retrofitting them over the next 2 years. Flew LHR to DFW on a 777-300 ER using System wides with my family - best flight we ever had - all the seats had aisle access no climbing over someone else. Incredible service. I would run, not walk away from UA and don't look back.
I have had the opposite experience, because what is important to you is not important to me and vice versa. I don't fly as many miles per year, I will probably hit around 75K across UA and AA. I have 1.5mm on UA and therefore lifetime Gold (whatever that means long term IDK..), so this year I switched mostly to AA to hit Platinum status. At the Gold UA/Platinum AA level, UA far outshines AA for things that are important to me. I cannot compare upgrades, because of the different methodology between the two. But since I fly a lot of regional short hops (hit Plat on AA via segments well earlier than the miles), I don't care much about F class, I am more concerned about legroom, and UA I am guaranteed E+, whereas the routes I fly on AA are all crappy old US planes that have not been retrofitted for Main Extra yet. And I use my miles to fly the family around, and AA's miles are only worth about half of what UA miles are worth. Finally, more often than not, I book my flights well in advance of my meetings, and always try to optimize by tacking on additional meetings where I can after I set the first meeting. But on the return, I often come back earlier than originally booked. UA's SDC policy far outshines AA's. (Heck, I have even had them switch up to 3 days in advance if the capacity looks good on the switch...) For this reason alone, UA simply works the best for me. I just quit AA for the year last month and will continue UA going forward.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by tom911
Exactly. Funny how people can't seem to grasp that the grass is always greener....
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
will the new Trump administration investigate this collusion of the major establishment U.S. airlines?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Even on TATL flights, I usually just have my carry-on and my laptop bag.
If I'm not allowed my carry-on because of the al-cheapo fare that I buy,
can't I just check the carry-on for free?
One carryon means any thing else is checked luggage. $25 ATM the counter. TBD at th gate.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Michael D
One carryon means any thing else is checked luggage. $25 ATM the counter. TBD at th gate.
if I forget to print my boarding pass at home and/or my phone battery is dead, will I have to pay United $10 to print it at the airport kiosk?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Just spotted this weirdness:
L0 K0 G0...N9 ??? For paid tickets, I have never seen a lower bucket with a higher number.

Could this mean the lowest bucket is going to be Economy Basic? Somewhat makes sense...

Last edited by wh6cto; Nov 17, 2016 at 10:07 pm Reason: grammar fixed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.