Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would say that 1F isn’t that great given that the lav on the front right is rpretty much right next to the seat. The extra room in the bulkhead footwell wasn’t as noticeable as it can be on the old BE Diamond seats - so not worth it, IMO.
I would go so far as to say that 1D, F and L, along with 11A and L, are the worst seats in the cabin. (Though 1D may not be awful if the FAs don't use the shelf in front as a snack station on your flight.)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would go so far as to say that 1D, F and L, along with 11A and L, are the worst seats in the cabin. (Though 1D may not be awful if the FAs don't use the shelf in front as a snack station on your flight.)
How about 1A? I've got some future flights booked in 1A.
So far, I've only flown once on the new bird, in 8D, and found the FA service to be slow compared to the 752s, but there the FAs have a lot fewer pax to serve.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Phil Level
How about 1A? I've got some future flights booked in 1A.
So far, I've only flown once on the new bird, in 8D, and found the FA service to be slow compared to the 752s, but there the FAs have a lot fewer pax to serve.
1A is private and away from the lav, but you're potentially subject to noise from the galley.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I sat in 11L and felt pretty good. No noise from lav whatsoever. Very private, felt enclosed, no one behind me taking a peek as to what I'm doing.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal
I sat in 11L and felt pretty good. No noise from lav whatsoever. Very private, felt enclosed, no one behind me taking a peek as to what I'm doing.
Isn't it practically in the galley? Much like row 8 on the 77W? 11A is.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Isn't it practically in the galley? Much like row 8 on the 77W? 11A is.
No, not like you can see it. Have to walk a couple of feet back to get to the area. I didn't hear anything for meal preparation. ymmv
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
flew EWR-LAX (and back) last week in PE. here are some rambling thoughts. i was in row 20 (bulkhead) for both flights.

boarding in EWR monday morning was from 2L; deplaning in LAX was from 1L. on the return, both airports used 2L. i don't see any reason why 2L isn't preferable for all. both were daytime flights. sitting in 20B, the temperature seemed to be VERY cold. it was a cold morning boarding from 2L in EWR, and that cold seemed to linger for more than an hour into the flight. i've had similar experiences in the ABC side of the exit row of the sCO 752.

row 20 is aligned with the front of the engines, so it looks like the engines are like pac-man and eating anything interesting you see below you (i did not consume any alcohol on, or prior to. either flight).

the seat is great (no under-bulkhead cutout), but the placement of the IFE headphone jack and power ports is laughably poor. even a couple FA's weren't sure where the headphone jack was when a pax asked for help. when they realized where it was, they were surprised how silly the design was. unlike the IPTE J seat, where the jack/power are located is very dark - so even if you know where everything is, it's difficult to plug stuff in. there is 110v AC, and also USB power.

remember when the 77As received 10-across Y and people kept hitting the FA call button because of where it was placed? UA heard the early complaints, and then modified that design going forward. it's no longer a problem. they should do the same for the PE seat's power ports and headphone jacks, although this would likely be significantly more complex than the call button fix on the 77A. adding USB type-C power would also be a good idea, but that obviously won't happen for at least another decade. it's a boneheaded design.

as long as both pax aren't PoS, it's fairly easy to access the aisle from the window seat. no olympic gymnastic ability required (at least in the bulkhead row). only two vents above you for A/B and K/L seats.

there are lavs immediately ahead of the PE section, but there are also curtains so that PE gets cut off from those lavs. virtually everyone ignored the curtain, which surprised me. since the PE cabin is fairly small, IMO UA should eliminate this curtain and instead install one between PE and E+. i don't foresee that change inconveniencing polaris pax.

the bulkhead IFE screens are massive, and look beautiful. decent anti-glare as well. the GUI is a little cumbersome, especially when using the remote - but it's not terrible. unfortunately, there's no channel 9 (i had my hopes up for the 78J solely because the 77W got channel 9). the remote has a full QWERTY keyboard on the reverse, and has the same cord retraction issues as prior iterations. yes, you'll probably have to extend the remote out completely in order to stow it. maybe by the 22nd century they'll have that worked out.

the table tray is neat. it can be folded out halfway, fully folded out, and there's even an additional fold out on the top right of the tray. i'm not sure what that could be useful for, but it seems cool. the front of the armrest between seats does not have a cupholder, unlike the domestic F seat. there was a missed opportunity to slightly recess the aluminum in front of the shared armrest so that cups could be placed there without the worry of them sliding off. instead, i was too nervous to place my cup there even for the few seconds it would take to stow my tray table. i should have taken pictures of what i'm trying to describe, sorry!

i hadn't noticed this so much on the 787-8/9, but there is absolutely zero GPS reception to be had from inside the 78J. i have foreflight on my 2018 ipad pro, but couldn't get a signal at any point in the air or on the ground from my window seat.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
i hadn't noticed this so much on the 787-8/9, but there is absolutely zero GPS reception to be had from inside the 78J. i have foreflight on my 2018 ipad pro, but couldn't get a signal at any point in the air or on the ground from my window seat.
You can't get a decent cell signal either. People are figuring this out quickly and there was a small crowd of us out on the jetway prior to departure at SFO catching up on calls and emails before they closed the door.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
A quick report from EWR-SFO in 1D

It was like having a front-row seat to the flight attendants prep routine. From prefilling water glasses to folding table linens, stacking up trays and setting out supplies - it all happens right before your eyes!

Due not only to the proximity of the galley, but also the quietness of the Dreamliner, conversations between FAs are clearly heard and understood. FYI, they wish breakfast came pre-plated - I heard this over and over throughout the flight...

That being said, none of this keeps you from getting sleep, if so desired. It can be a little strange, however, when you are awake.

The crew was friendly and attentive, so overall, I can't complain.

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Mar 17, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by miasmal
I just did 11L and loved it too. No lav noise. Very private. Would do it again. ^
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:21 am

In premium plus, is there a consensus on the bulkhead seat? Seatguru lists it as yellow on the 787-10
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
In premium plus, is there a consensus on the bulkhead seat? Seatguru lists it as yellow on the 787-10
Unfortunately Seatguru does little original research and reflexivity flags all bulkheads near a restroom as yellow
On personal knowledge yet, will be trying myself by the end of the week.

781 Bulkhead review - Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2019 at 1:43 am Reason: link
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by max_kolesne

I found the 781 bulkhead seats cramped compared to the 773's, which have miles of legroom. Not terrible, but disappointing. I was sitting in 20B, and took the attached photos of the center bulkhead and center non-bulkhead. The last one is the 773 bulkhead.

In comparison, this is the 773:

Also, I asked the FA about the lavs between Polaris and PE - she shrugged and said nobody has any idea which cabin they are meant for, so PE is welcome to use them.

Last edited by mehitabel; Mar 19, 2019 at 3:17 am Reason: resize photos
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Also, I asked the FA about the lavs between Polaris and PE - she shrugged and said nobody has any idea which cabin they are meant for, so PE is welcome to use them.
1. I can't see 2 restrooms being dedicated for 21 people in W with 2 restrooms dedicated to 44 people in J.
2. After seeing some of the cash and award prices for W, I would consider it a premium cabin.

That said, they are for both classes to use.

A different POV - They are "intended" for W class, but no one is going to tell a J pax that they can't use them.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by mehitabel
They are for Polaris, that's why there is a curtain. And why they make the announcement to use the lavs in your cabin. Premium Economy is Economy.

On my flight yesterday, the FA's actually blocked PE pax from using the J lavs with carts in the aisle just inside the curtain. I strongly suspect that was an FAA violation, but appreciate their frustration if repeated warnings were not working.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 19, 2019 at 7:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.