Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weird how much variation there is in people being asked or not asked. I've so far always been asked for a second choice, but I've always received the first.

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Just flew LHR-SFO

- Awful service and food; mid flight snacks never set up by the galley; salad was sad looking cabbage with corn syrup dressing (I miss the olive oil); was served grilled cheese that was baked hours before
- Options for take off service were short rib or chicken; for landing, it was chicken with gnocchi and mixed vegetables (pretty horrible) or pizza (seriously?!)
- Flight attendant serving my aisle was downright hostile ("Do you want to eat? Are you going to open your tray table or just make me wait?" "Huh? You're asking what kind of cheese we have? It's assorted... So, do you want it or not?")
- Asked for first and second choice with strong implication I wouldn't get my top choice (although I did end up getting it)
That sounds fun. Are you planning to write?

On the cheese, I can at least sympathize with the FA in that even when I eat it I don't really know what it is anymore.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
- Flight attendant serving my aisle was downright hostile ("Do you want to eat? Are you going to open your tray table or just make me wait?" "Huh? You're asking what kind of cheese we have? It's assorted... So, do you want it or not?")
- Asked for first and second choice with strong implication I wouldn't get my top choice (although I did end up getting it)
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!
Time to name and shame.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by BlueSky72

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!
Time to name and shame.
I might write in.

She was also the kind of FA who refused to place anything directly on your tray table, and would glare angrily at you if you accidentally touched her hand while grabbing your ramekin of nuts from her tightly clenched fist.

My favorite part of the flight was when I got reprimanded for standing near the business class galley mid-flight. Apparently, passengers are only allowed to get up to use the bathroom! (I ended up walking to the back of the plane to the economy galley, where the FAs were much friendlier.)
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cheltenhamflyer
My wife who regularly has the gluten free option agrees with you 100%. She adds that she does not understand why she gets chicken every time ( on one occasion having chicken for both main and pre arrival snack)
Chicken is lowest common denominator, meat-wise. Suriname has healthy ethnic populations of (surprisingly) Indians and Indonesians. Indians generally dont eat beef and Indonesians usually avoid pork. Chicken is king there, where it offends the fewest meat eaters.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
Very interesting. However why United should regard flights to and from LHR as ones needing to cater for folk from Surinam rather than those from Europe remains a mystery to me and we are talking about dozens of flights extending over nearly 20 years!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, AA Exec Plat., Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Traveling with my parents (who are both MM Golds), but should they get 1st choice based on my status if theyre sitting next to me and have the same last name? I guess its up to the FA?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might write in.

She was also the kind of FA who refused to place anything directly on your tray table, and would glare angrily at you if you accidentally touched her hand while grabbing your ramekin of nuts from her tightly clenched fist.

My favorite part of the flight was when I got reprimanded for standing near the business class galley mid-flight. Apparently, passengers are only allowed to get up to use the bathroom! (I ended up walking to the back of the plane to the economy galley, where the FAs were much friendlier.)
I strongly encourage you to write in. Feedback from GS have the best chance for impact!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Scleaver

The Menu and Wine List
Ken Wright pinot on the actual menu is a nice offering - on the level of what they used to serve in first class. Let's see if it shows up on other routes.
Portgal likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Ken Wright pinot on the actual menu is a nice offering - on the level of what they used to serve in first class. Let's see if it shows up on other routes.
It was on our ORD-FRA flight on 3/26 but neither my wife nor I tried it as we started with the Alfred Gratien Champagne with the appetizer (the shrimp that was supposed to be smoked salmon). We both prefer to keep to one type of drink to avoid headaches.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Just got off the LHR-IAH flight and there were no mid flight snacks. I certainly understand on the red eyes why that may be the case but on the day flights. Was told the flight is not long enough.

To be fair I was looking for the cottage pie (a perennial favourite of mine) or a sandwich. Ended up having a left over cheese plate. They had chips/crisps, wrapped cookie, oranges and apples.

A couple of the FAs said I should write in. One FA usually works on the LHR-SFO flight so knew what I meant when asking for midflight snacks. The IAH crew said they are not on the LHR-IAH flights. Not sure why 10.5 hours would not warrant the midflight snack.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
It was on TPE-SFO, and I had it without knowing what it was in advance. I found it pretty good.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, AA Exec Plat., Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Im really hoping theyve improved the Polaris wine selections for April. Preferably some old world whites! French or Italian would be nice
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Just got off the LHR-IAH flight and there were no mid flight snacks. I certainly understand on the red eyes why that may be the case but on the day flights. Was told the flight is not long enough.

To be fair I was looking for the cottage pie (a perennial favourite of mine) or a sandwich. Ended up having a left over cheese plate. They had chips/crisps, wrapped cookie, oranges and apples.

A couple of the FAs said I should write in. One FA usually works on the LHR-SFO flight so knew what I meant when asking for midflight snacks. The IAH crew said they are not on the LHR-IAH flights. Not sure why 10.5 hours would not warrant the midflight snack.
No mid-flight snacks on SFO-FRA flight either. It really undermines the overall messaging they have with Polaris: fancy lounge, fancy new plane with fancy seat, but lets skimp on a snack to save a few extra $s
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Here are two of the mains from AKL-SFO. The Curry Chicken looked like.....well lets say it didnt look appetizing.

Green Curry Chicken

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

A catering error, perhaps? Had it a few days ago on FRA-IAD. It was a beef stew with noodles. Certainly nothing to write home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.