Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by cricketer
Will be through here for a couple of hours next week on the way to LHR (GPU's successfully applied, miracles do happen!). Looking forward to it. Guessing it will be pretty empty in the afternoon as other than LHR I think there's just the two flights down under at 2230ish, and the morning flights to NRT and PVG. Don't think there are any UA afternoon inbounds either.
Your guess is probably right. Technically, all *A pax in J and F cabins could use the lounge, it is just inconveniently located for them and few are crazy enough (like me) to actually go there before the international late afternoon departures.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Great!

I really like walking and usually walk/run an average of 5-10 miles a day. We will be dropped at the airport around noon to 1 p.m. after breakfast with relatives and the flight does not leave until 5:20. Will check the TSA wait times for TBIT and T7 online after we get rid of the bag and then chose the quicker version, I guess.
I have a kinda similar situation this week. Flying the Singapore 350ULR direct to SIN. Been to *A lounge before (albeit just the J side). Take-off scheduled for 11:25pm, but I should be done with work at 4 and can get to the terminal by 5. Plenty of time to enjoy Polaris, walk off some calories to TBIT and maybe enjoy one glass of wine at *A lounge while waiting for boarding. Looking forward to a Paper Plane!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Got in an hour earlier than expected, so reached the lounge around 2:30pm or so. As far as I caused a 50% increase in the passenger population, and we each have a handful of staff to work with us. Chatted to a couple and they said sometimes they get 10-20 people in for the London flight, but it's usually only busy for the two night flights to Australia. Lounge looks fantastic, and still feels super new. And the green light on the bathroom doors is such a positive improvement.

As I type this and munch on the olive-artichoke amuse bouche in the dining room, someone else has invaded my territory and made me feel a little less special.

If the meal holds up, I'll definitely be considering the LAX route to LHR in the future - eat well in peace in the lounge and then sleep the whole way. As long as I get the 787 bulkhead, of course.
uanj, EWR764, worldclubber and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Got in an hour earlier than expected, so reached the lounge around 2:30pm or so. As far as I caused a 50% increase in the passenger population, and we each have a handful of staff to work with us. Chatted to a couple and they said sometimes they get 10-20 people in for the London flight...
Exactly 4 weeks from today I'm doing HNL-LAX-LHR with 3:30-5:45pm reserved for the Polaris lounge. Looking forward to trying out the "street tacos" if they're still on the menu. Aiming to skip the entrée on the flight and have just appetizer/salad/dessert. And I got 6D lined up to LHR...
tstauck likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Exactly 4 weeks from today I'm doing HNL-LAX-LHR with 3:30-5:45pm reserved for the Polaris lounge. Looking forward to trying out the "street tacos" if they're still on the menu. Aiming to skip the entrée on the flight and have just appetizer/salad/dessert. And I got 6D lined up to LHR...
Street tacos are very much still there - but I was told by the server to get the fish and chips instead, and while I'm not a big chip eater, the fish is excellent today, so no regrets. Skip the bulgogi arancini appetizer though - completely flavourless.

I'm in 1A today - just switched from my preferred 6A for a ridiculous reason - to make sure the ice-cream and cheese cuts didn't impact my on-board dessert consumption :-)

lounge update: the first negative part of the experience. There are 30-40 people in here at 5:15pm, and unfortunately a handful of them are just obnoxiously loud. One or two on the phone could do with looking at the "Phone Booth" right in front of their eyes...

All that said and done, having been to SFO, LAX, and ORD Polaris lounges now, this feels like the winner on food, service, and general ambiance (comment above notwithstanding).

Oh, and the poached pear was really solid if you like that sort of thing for dessert. Fruits are healthy, right?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Fruits are healthy, right?
Yes, that's why I always ask for a cherry on top of my everything sundae.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: 1k by marriage
Doing LAX-SFO-PPT on Polaris in June. Tempted to do both LAX and SFO Polaris lounge, although we have a full 3 hours at SFO. Maybe a mimosa and pancake at LAX, get that vacation belly started early.
tstauck likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:44 am

All that said and done, having been to SFO, LAX, and ORD Polaris lounges now, this feels like the winner on food, service, and general ambiance (comment above notwithstanding).
Thanks for the update. Makes me look forward to checking it out early in April. ^

Hope they keep up the standard, unlike so many lounges that start out great and then soon begin to cut corners ...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I really liked the tempura mushrooms in the dining room and the Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches from the buffet. IMO LAX has the best food of any Polaris Lounge. I think only the GFL at LHR is better in the whole system.
cricketer and worldclubber like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
In the lounge now for my first visit. Even after reading through this thread, my expectations were exceeded. To repeat what others have stated:
  • Food is terrific. I had the Pier salad and avocado/burrata tower. Both were delicious. Eyeing some of the buffet desserts now.
  • Service is incredible. Everyone is friendly, positive, proactive and thoughtful.
  • Shower suites are great.
  • Wine selection is lovely, but cocktails are even better. Really impressed.
  • Views of the gates/apron/tarmac are really cool
Was virtually empty when I arrived at 530pm. Finally started filling up around 830-900pm, but still not close to full

Wondering how long I can stay before walking to TBIT for my SQ flight.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobears293
..Wondering how long I can stay before walking to TBIT for my SQ flight.
20 minutes airside gets you to TBIT.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by gobears293
In the lounge now for my first visit. Even after reading through this thread, my expectations were exceeded.
My expectations are now for the Polaris lounge to be be better than the F section of the *A lounge at TBIT.

Since you flew SQ: did you also use the *A lounge at TBIT and, if so, how does it compare to the Polaris lounge.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber

My expectations are now for the Polaris lounge to be be better than the F section of the *A lounge at TBIT.

Since you flew SQ: did you also use the *A lounge at TBIT and, if so, how does it compare to the Polaris lounge.
I'd definitely go with the Polaris lounge over the *A F section. No complaints about the latter, but this Polaris lounge was a notch above for me.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd definitely go with the Polaris lounge over the *A F section. No complaints about the latter, but this Polaris lounge was a notch above for me.
Ohhh, gee - I wish you hadn't posted this. If someone at UA reads this, they'll think "We overshot this".
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:04 pm

Thank you!

Food at the *A F dining room is fairly mediocre and view is non-existent, unless one walks over to the business class part and patio, so if the food at the Polaris lounge is just half as good as you said, it will definitely by a winner.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Ohhh, gee - I wish you hadn't posted this. If someone at UA reads this, they'll think "We overshot this".
That's what I feared, too. Many lounges start out great and then gradually go downhill ...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.