Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by freemanzhu
For an overnight flight I prefer LH's J seat to OS/LX. None of the three is anything close to class-leading, but the LH seats are a bit wider, whereas the Vantage seats on OS/LX are quite narrow in the sleeping position.
I would beg to differ . . .while the seat on LX's 330s and 340s sucks, the seat on the LX 77W (which operates LAX-ZRH) is (IMO) much better than LH's.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The only time I transited through TXL for international travel (it was outbound), it was by far the worst experience I have had. I'm not sure if it'd any better for inbound (EWR-TXL) traffic, but whatever you can do to minimize time in that godforsaken spot.

Also, even with access to LAX and EWR Polaris lounges, flying 2x 5-6 hour flights will not be pleasant on the body. Fly to Europe and ride in the back of the bus on one of the *A partners once you are there.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:23 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Another option to consider is flying to Germany's capital, Frankfurt, on LH in J (there's a non-stop from SAN). LH's J product is comparable (if not better) than UA's from my experience. You can then take a quick train ride to Berlin, Germany's population centre, of course after freshening up in the LH lounge on arrival in FRA. You might be able to get UA to even include the train portion since LH can ticket the German train portions!

I personally would not be caught dead in the Berlin airport. It's a real disaster zone in terms of facilities and everything else a real eye sore in the sea of German efficiency and quality. Here's to hoping that the new Berlin airport opens soon so that one day we can seriously call Berlin the capital of Germany!

Safe Travels,

James

Germany's capital is Berlin, not Frankfurt.

Tegel is quite nice in how small it is and how quick it is to board a flight.

To the OP… I would also consider that you get Polaris lounge in EWR
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:32 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
There should not be a security check on a US to Schengen transfer.

I think everyone who is familiar with FRA would agree that there's typically a pretty long walk though. MUC or ZRH is an easier transfer. I personally would choose LX via ZRH for the better hard product.
I really really really hate to say it, as a proud patriotic Swiss myself (see my username), but I find the LX hard product (on all their planes, 330, 340, 77W) to be incredibly cramped and hard to sleep on, unless you get a bulkhead. Also, the fact that their brand new J product still doesn't have all-aisle access is preposterous.
east_west likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
I really really really hate to say it, as a proud patriotic Swiss myself (see my username), but I find the LX hard product (on all their planes, 330, 340, 77W) to be incredibly cramped and hard to sleep on, unless you get a bulkhead. Also, the fact that their brand new J product still doesn't have all-aisle access is preposterous.
I have my issues with LX, but still find LX39, with 8 pm departure, to be the overall best *A TATL option from SFO (the afternoon departures just kill me on the jet lag). While the seat's not great, it's much more private than LH's, has plenty of storage, and no footsie. And if you know the tricks, very good odds of scoring a throne.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
The OP said he likes a late departure and „later arrival“. Then LH via MUC is the way to go: great airport for transfers, no security check as in LHR, nice LH lounges in the satellite terminal and incredible frequency of flights to TXL in the evening if something goes wrong with the inbound LAX-MUC.

TXL is a great airport for arrivals but terrible for departures during rush hour, which is to be avoided.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The only time I transited through TXL for international travel (it was outbound), it was by far the worst experience I have had. I'm not sure if it'd any better for inbound (EWR-TXL) traffic, but whatever you can do to minimize time in that godforsaken spot.

Also, even with access to LAX and EWR Polaris lounges, flying 2x 5-6 hour flights will not be pleasant on the body. Fly to Europe and ride in the back of the bus on one of the *A partners once you are there.
OP is neither transiting nor departing from TXL so, with respect, you comments are not relevant. Arrivals at TXL couldn’t be faster or easier.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

OP is neither transiting nor departing from TXL so, with respect, you comments are not relevant. Arrivals at TXL couldn’t be faster or easier.
Thank you for this. We are going to Berlin in 2019 to visit my exchange daughter (who lives in Berlin). Flying into and out of TXL is the only thing that makes sense. This thread was scaring me! We are doing the EWR-TXL on a 764 (at least current schedule). I'm sure we'll be fine.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mnflyer58
Thank you for this. We are going to Berlin in 2019 to visit my exchange daughter (who lives in Berlin). Flying into and out of TXL is the only thing that makes sense. This thread was scaring me! We are doing the EWR-TXL on a 764 (at least current schedule). I'm sure we'll be fine.
Yes, you’ll be fine. Once you are off the plane it’s a few minutes through passport control (at the end of the jetty) and then a wait for your bags immediately at the gate. Then you exit to the outside taxi ramp. I’m total you’ll be walking less than 100m. Now departure is something different. Suggest you get there two hours ahead and go through gate security at about T-30, is it can bottleneck.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
OP here -- I don't love any airports, but I've always found TXL fine as far as they go. Old, old fashioned, but often much faster for it, and very nicely close to my destinations in the city. Arrivals there are fine. Perhaps a little more delay than usual, recently, getting bags, but not more than other destinations in my experience. Can get crowded if they're running behind because each gate or two has tiny baggage claim area, but fine.

Departure also fine in my experience.

Things I think it would be worse for:

* Transfers (I wouldn't think transfer through there very common, since I hadn't thought it was anything like a hub, but I don't know; I have never done it), since I would think you would always have to reclear security.

* Passing a long waiting time.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As it is an award ticket, and as someone mentioned upthread, LAX-FRA (LH) or SAN-FRA (LH) or LAX-LHR (UA) with the connection to TXL. I prefer one long flight with a shorter connection than two mid range flights, especially from the west coast on a red eye. If the lounge is Important to you LAX is preferable as you will have either Polaris or Star Alliance lounge. SAN will just be the UA club.

I dislike EWR, although to be fair it has been three years since I connected through there as every flight, I mean every flight was delayed or cancelled.

I like connecting through LHR and use the Arrivals lounge just outside customs and then reenter upstairs at Departures. I enjoy the walk. The Senator lounge is very nice (I find the UA club at LHR is a zoo most of the time and very noisy)

I like MUC for connections but have found immigration/security there is an issue due to some of the places I have traveled so tend to avoid MUC if I have other options, although am connecting through there next month

I flew Eurowings last month and it was fine. They are short flights with typical German efficiency. They have J - typical intra EU empty middle sear.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by zoechow
OP here -- I don't love any airports, but I've always found TXL fine as far as they go. Old, old fashioned, but often much faster for it, and very nicely close to my destinations in the city. Arrivals there are fine. Perhaps a little more delay than usual, recently, getting bags, but not more than other destinations in my experience. Can get crowded if they're running behind because each gate or two has tiny baggage claim area, but fine.

Departure also fine in my experience.
Totally agree. While TXL is not an airport I'd want to spend any extra time at prior to departure, the proximity to the city more than makes up for the negatives for me. Also appreciate you don't have to walk a mile after deplaning (hello, LHR and FRA).

This is one airport where using the business class / *G check-in can be a life saver.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I like connecting through LHR and use the Arrivals lounge just outside customs and then reenter upstairs at Departures. I enjoy the walk. The Senator lounge is very nice (I find the UA club at LHR is a zoo most of the time and very noisy)
LAX-LHR probably arrives too late to use the arrival lounge which is targeted for morning arrivals when you don't have a hotel room for a few more hours. As to LHR's UC, depending on ticket and elite level, it may be the only choice if your departing flight doesn't qualify for other lounges.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
To emphasize, the arrivals lounge is outside immigration, which means having to go through immigration into the UK then go back through both security and immigration if you are continuing on outside the UK. This can be done if you have a long enough layover, but is not the normal transit procedure. With normal transit, you would stay in sterile area and not go through immigration and thus have no access to the arrivals lounge.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
LAX-LHR probably arrives too late to use the arrival lounge which is targeted for morning arrivals when you don't have a hotel room for a few more hours. As to LHR's UC, depending on ticket and elite level, it may be the only choice if your departing flight doesn't qualify for other lounges.
Yes, you are right, the LAX-LHR flight arrives around 12 noon - doing this later this month and if the Arrivals lounge does not let me in (but it often does if I ask nicely) then I go next door to the Priority Pass lounge (as I have a membership through AMEX Platinum) to have the shower.

I keep forgetting I am *G so have access to all the *A lounges at LHR. As the OP is going to TXL, the LH lounge is closest to the departure gate. If there is only access to UA then it is a nice walk across to the UA Club and back again, but note on the way back it is all walking as no moving walkway and you need to use the elevators to get back up to the departure gate - all doable but a bit confusing the first time. However, if too late for the Arrivals lounge and going onto TXL, then UA Club is a great option for the shower.

Originally Posted by boolean64
To emphasize, the arrivals lounge is outside immigration, which means having to go through immigration into the UK then go back through both security and immigration if you are continuing on outside the UK. This can be done if you have a long enough layover, but is not the normal transit procedure. With normal transit, you would stay in sterile area and not go through immigration and thus have no access to the arrivals lounge.
Very true. I have Border Force so immigration is never an issue for me at LHR as I can use the eGates, and from January 1, 2019 Australian and US passport holders can use the eGates. I find the Arrivals lounge less crowded and the Gold Track (*A/1K) is easy for security on the way back. I have only used the transit area a couple of times and the security is slower than Gold track as they do not seem to operate it/or let all through and then there is a further document check - all manageable but when just off the plane and all I want is a shower and something to eat (I do not like the arrival meal as reconstituted eggs or a sweet dish) a painful process for me. Also, I do like the cook to order breakfast at the Arrivals lounge and there is never a line for the shower and it is quiet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2018 at 11:11 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.