Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by zoechow
The Germanwings site makes it sound much like LH business shorthaul in Europe: free seat next, and roomer seats (relative to horrible pitch in other seats on EW probably ends up comparable to LH pitch every row?)
It appears you're right! They offer Bizclass? Perhaps an LH Group expert can weigh in.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by zoechow
This is really helpful, thanks to all. I had discounted the train because it is a bit over 4 hours, but will rethink. It’s hard to get any of the timings to work with much time in Polaris lounge. Since the time change is against you, you would need to leave really early LA to connect in EWR, and the same makes it hard to get a good layover in EWR. I’ll keep looking and considering. Thanks!!
It's really no big deal when you think about it. The LAX to FRA flight gets you in at around 11 AM local time, presumably by then you would've had plenty of sleep on the longish flight and would be relatively refreshed. You'd head to the LH arrivals lounge, take a shower and grab lunch there. Then you head out of the lounge, down a few sets of stairs and are at the Frankfurt airport long haul train station where you'll board a DB train that will whisk you away to Berlin (i.e. there's a 2:09 PM train you can book on DB.de that does the job). No (mis)connections to worry about, no hassle of having to get from Tegel into the city since your DB train will drop you off right in downtown. Keep in mind trains in Germany are no joke - you can get a proper seat (including a private compartment) if you want to be alone, there's a restaurant car with some very nice food (i.e. Schnitzel & pilsner anyone?)

If you can get the whole thing put onto one ticket (which I suspect you can if you fly LH), it's even more seamless than that, to the point where your bags are handled for you on the train. Would love to hear LH and German transit junkies to chime in on the experience. Overall, whenever I travel in Europe, and in particular Switzerland and Germany, train is my number 1 form of transport (even when flights are sometimes a few euros cheaper).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow. There is some good information here but much is terrible advice. About the only thing I agree with is to fly the long haul segment on either LH or LX and connect accordingly.

- EW in ‘J’ class is just fine. Plenty of legroom and a snack is really standard in Europe business
- But I wouldn’t fly through LHR (even though you will stay in one terminal) because it is a faff
- I would not take a train from FRA to Berlin. It is a long journey and, contrary to popular belief, German ICE trains can also run late or be cancelled. I’m not sure why there is any less chance of a misconnect with a train than a plane, but LH has flights to Berlin every hour. It’s a 45 minute flight. Also, there are no private personal booths on German trains.
- Whatever its shortcomings, TXL is a fantastic arrivals airport. I take the EWR-TXL flight about seven/eight times a year. Last week we arrived just after 0800, and I was out of the aircraft at 0810, at the taxi rank at 0817, and home at 0835. There advice that the Hauptbahnhof is closer to the centre is only relevant if OP is staying in Mitte or further east. To Ku’damm TXL will be as convenient.
Xyzzy and malmostoso like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would not take a train from FRA to Berlin
Someone recommended train from FRA? Seriously?
Their advice that the Hauptbahnhof is closer to the centre is only relevant if OP is staying in Mitte or further east. To Ku’damm TXL will be as convenient.
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. A taxi from TXL is easy and cheap. I love the Berlin taxis, they're always nice and clean and the drivers are total pros. Arrive Hbf, and you still have to transfer to a taxi or u/s-bahn to reach final destination.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:13 pm

i’d take the EWR routing any day of the week for a flat bed the whole way.
i truly hate getting off a 10 hour flight and realizing it will be at least 5 more hours until i’m in a bed.
plus the LHR security check is cray strict on liquids
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the 764 has the shortest flat bed in the UA fleet. Always have had difficulty sleeping on that aircraft. I avoid it on overnights for that reason.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Count me with those arguing that the train from Frankfurt is a terrible idea. It takes way too long compared to just continuing on LH. On the other hand, connecting at FRA is just awful IMHO. I would also offer that I found the much-vaunted LH Biz class to be overrated. Nothing special at all.

Sounds as if you've not been to TXL before. It's a tiny, cramped airport, but that usually means quick, and minimal walking.

I did not like connecting in Zurich the one time I tried it. My connections were tight, and it was really stressful (passport control was mobbed).

It seems like every options has pluses and minuses. I'd go by schedule and price, myself.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the 764 has the shortest flat bed in the UA fleet. Always have had difficulty sleeping on that aircraft. I avoid it on overnights for that reason.
This year I’ve had a mix of 764s and 763s, the latter with both old CO seats and Polaris.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I am surprised at the amount of anti-LHR here. I find T2-T2 to be an absolute non-issue. The only downside is that the flight to TXL is likely going to be on the regional side and the UA Club is in the long haul side. It's about a 15 minute walk if using the UA Club as your lounge during transit (and I'd highly recommend doing so, great lounge).

But if the OP is originating at LAX, I'd certainly do LX or OS over both UA and LH. UA's new Polaris seat is superior but not sure how many 764s have been converted yet. I don't like the old CO biz seat on them at all, the foot area is very uncomfortable, as is the 752 used on PS and some international routes.

The OP never said if this is a revenue ticket or award ticket. If it's revenue then no reason not to do LX or OS, they are the same price assuming the fare class is open the same dates. If you had UA planes with the new seats that's another story, but I'd chose LX or OS over LH or old UA any day.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Another option to consider is flying to Germany's capital, Frankfurt
Pardon?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:56 am

Pardon?
The sarcasm was lost on me in my first pre-coffee reading as well, but it's a good one:
Here's to hoping that the new Berlin airport opens soon so that one day we can seriously call Berlin the capital of Germany!
If one were handed LH's timetable and would have to guess Germany's (administrative) capital based on that alone, he would certainly guess FRA though.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
It's really no big deal when you think about it. The LAX to FRA flight gets you in at around 11 AM local time, presumably by then you would've had plenty of sleep on the longish flight and would be relatively refreshed. You'd head to the LH arrivals lounge, take a shower and grab lunch there. Then you head out of the lounge, down a few sets of stairs and are at the Frankfurt airport long haul train station where you'll board a DB train that will whisk you away to Berlin (i.e. there's a 2:09 PM train you can book on DB.de that does the job). No (mis)connections to worry about, no hassle of having to get from Tegel into the city since your DB train will drop you off right in downtown.
I wouldn't advise this option. You could be on the LH plane leaving FRA at 12:45 and in Berlin before the train even leaves FRA. The FRA-TXL flights are hourly, so there really isn't an issue if you misconnect, whereas misconnecting from the plane to the train often means you need to buy a new train ticket at full cost, depending on your ticket.

LAX-EWR-TXL, LAX-LHR-TXL, and LAX-FRA-TXL are all good options. I prefer a longer overnight leg and a later arrival, so I would go through either LHR or FRA, depending on timing and price. There's really not much difference between the two options. Both LHR and FRA are large airports and it can take a while to get through immigration and security, but to me this is worth it for a better night's sleep. The LH lounges in both FRA and LHR are good, but you won't have any showers in the LHR lounge and I'm not sure you will be able to access any of the other LHR lounges with showers out in Terminal 2B (e.g., UA, AC) if you are connecting to Eurowings (which is owned by LH but is not Star Alliance). LH metal from LAX to FRA in J is better than the old CO business seats but not as good as Polaris.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Dec 18, 2018 at 4:53 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
So much misinformation / dreadful advice in this thread it's amazing....

Immigration during connections at LHR
No business class on Eurowings
Take the train from FRA to Berlin
etc etc
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
go via EWR, you will still have access to the LAX Polaris Lounge. Connecting in LHR takes a lot of time and IMO is a hassle, plus you are connecting on EW which is not a *A member and you will in many cases earn less PQM.
FRA is a good option as well, especially if you can upgrade to First. Nice arrival lounge in FRA and then just take the train (or a connecting flight on LH). Would do that if you want the longer flight for more sleep, else via EWR.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
not sure how many 764s have been converted yet
None. Not even scheduled yet.
zoechow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.