Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United

What’s the better routing lax to txl in United business:

757 to ewr, 764 to txl
vs
787-9 to lhr, Germanwings to txl

would the LHR change require re clearing security? Require customs? Or can I stay airside in, is it, terminal 2?

thanks for any advice

Last edited by zoechow; Dec 17, 2018 at 3:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The LHR connection itself is more hassle, but I think the longer overnight on a 787 makes it a clear winner. The EW segment will be pretty painful though.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:49 pm

For me, a good night's sleep is prioritized above all else when going to Europe. For that, 10hrs then 2 hrs is way way way better than 6 daytime hours then only 6 or 7 night hours. LHR will be a bit of a hassle in that I bet you'll have to clear security, but you shouldn't have to clear customs, recheck bags, etc. Agree that Germanwings will suck. But not as much as the long day flight followed by a relatively short red-eye.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:54 pm

Another option to consider is flying to Germany's capital, Frankfurt, on LH in J (there's a non-stop from SAN). LH's J product is comparable (if not better) than UA's from my experience. You can then take a quick train ride to Berlin, Germany's population centre, of course after freshening up in the LH lounge on arrival in FRA. You might be able to get UA to even include the train portion since LH can ticket the German train portions!

I personally would not be caught dead in the Berlin airport. It's a real disaster zone in terms of facilities and everything else a real eye sore in the sea of German efficiency and quality. Here's to hoping that the new Berlin airport opens soon so that one day we can seriously call Berlin the capital of Germany!

Safe Travels,

James
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
At Heathrow you will clear security but not customs if your bag is checked through to the final destination.

You won’t need it this time but there is an airside bus transfer between all terminals. Just follow the purple signs for the transfer desks.

Heathrow operates a strict conformance rule so they will scan the onward boarding pass before allowing you to security (you need to arrive 40 minutes I think before the flight).

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
If you eat dinner in the Polaris Lounge at EWR and skip meals on EWR-TXL, I don't think it'd be that bad (I find this to be the best feature of the Polaris Lounge), but I agree with others and would still probably fly through LHR.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Do the LHR transfer. LHR is actually easy, you'll just have to do immigrations for transfers (follow the purple signs). There are lots of lounge options at LHR depending on the amount of connection time you have as well.

EDIT: Forgot to add that LAX will have the new Polaris lounge open Jan 12 2019, not sure when you're traveling but keep the LAX Polaris lounge option in mind.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:39 pm

I found connecting in LHR really easy.
I've connected both on LHR and EWR, and found LHR T2 better designed to handld I to I connections.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just want to point out the obvious since no one mentioned it: EW doesn't have business class. In fact, they don't even print your FFN on your boarding pass. For that amount of money/miles, I'd never settle for less than what I paid for.

And I presume you meant EW and not 4U. I think they retired 4U after the suicidal pilot... Not great for the brand!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
And I presume you meant EW and not 4U. I think they retired 4U after the suicidal pilot... Not great for the brand!
That explains why LH removed yellow from their branding

-James
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

This is really helpful, thanks to all. I had discounted the train because it is a bit over 4 hours, but will rethink. It’s hard to get any of the timings to work with much time in Polaris lounge. Since the time change is against you, you would need to leave really early LA to connect in EWR, and the same makes it hard to get a good layover in EWR. I’ll keep looking and considering. Thanks!!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would consider LX via ZRH. If you need PQD, you can typically book on united.com via googleflights.
764toHI and zoechow like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Just want to point out the obvious since no one mentioned it: EW doesn't have business class. In fact, they don't even print your FFN on your boarding pass. For that amount of money/miles, I'd never settle for less than what I paid for.

You are totally right, but it is odd that the United site lists it as both EW and "Operated By Germanwings". And lists the fare class as:
Business
(P)
Snack
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boolean64
For me, a good night's sleep is prioritized above all else when going to Europe. For that, 10hrs then 2 hrs is way way way better than 6 daytime hours then only 6 or 7 night hours. LHR will be a bit of a hassle in that I bet you'll have to clear security, but you shouldn't have to clear customs, recheck bags, etc. Agree that Germanwings will suck. But not as much as the long day flight followed by a relatively short red-eye.
The Germanwings site makes it sound much like LH business shorthaul in Europe: free seat next, and roomer seats (relative to horrible pitch in other seats on EW probably ends up comparable to LH pitch every row?)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would consider LX via ZRH. If you need PQD, you can typically book on united.com via googleflights.
Indeed. This will include two nice lounges: the StarAlliance one at LAX TBIT terminal and the new business lounge (or Senator lounge for *Gold) in ZRH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.