Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Yes, you are right, the LAX-LHR flight arrives around 12 noon - doing this later this month and if the Arrivals lounge does not let me in (but it often does if I ask nicely) then I go next door to the Priority Pass lounge (as I have a membership through AMEX Platinum) to have the shower.

I keep forgetting I am *G so have access to all the *A lounges at LHR. As the OP is going to TXL, the LH lounge is closest to the departure gate. If there is only access to UA then it is a nice walk across to the UA Club and back again, but note on the way back it is all walking as no moving walkway and you need to use the elevators to get back up to the departure gate - all doable but a bit confusing the first time. However, if too late for the Arrivals lounge and going onto TXL, then UA Club is a great option for the shower.
LH lounge might be the closest to the departure gate but I'd argue the UC is likely the nicest lounge in terms of showers, food quality, etc. Well worth the hike IMHO (albeit I haven't sampled all the * lounges at LHR....YET!). Certainly the nicest UC I've been to anywhere which leads me to think that LHR is UA's main hub and all other airports (ORD, EWR, SFO, etc.) are merely outstations

Safe Travels,

James
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:38 pm

They do release award seats out of FRA, I booked as recently as summer '18. 2 weeks out is harder than 3-4 days out. Whether any particular day opens up obviously depends on revenue loads. Summer is actually easiest as there are more flights (2x to FRA and 1x to MUC) right when business travel is slowest.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
Originally Posted by freemanzhu
They do release award seats out of FRA, I booked as recently as summer '18. 2 weeks out is harder than 3-4 days out. Whether any particular day opens up obviously depends on revenue loads. Summer is actually easiest as there are more flights (2x to FRA and 1x to MUC) right when business travel is slowest.
This is super useful, as I have little experience with the most likely timing. I will try to put myself in position to be flexible 3-4 days out. I’ll hope to be in position to choose among better options then. Maybe choose whether to splurge on LH first (never done)...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by zoechow
Maybe choose whether to splurge on LH first (never done)...
There is no choice. If it's available, do it. Well unless you have a choice between munich, frankfurt, and zurich. In that case, definitely do not choose frankfurt. One, the munich and zurich flights leave way later so you'll actually be ready to fall asleep once you're done with dinner. Also, the transfer in MUC is about the best immigration transfer ever. It involves walking into the first class lounge on the non-schengen level of MUC, handing your passport to the immigration officer at the entrance to the lounge, enjoying the lounge, returning to the immigration counter to collect your stamped passport when it's time to leave for your connection, and walking downstairs into europe. I've always wanted to try LX F to compare but it's never been an option for me.

And yes, they will often release seats any day 14 to 1 day out. Don't bother until then and then check religiously.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow. There is some good information here but much is terrible advice. About the only thing I agree with is to fly the long haul segment on either LH or LX and connect accordingly.

- EW in ‘J’ class is just fine. Plenty of legroom and a snack is really standard in Europe business
- But I wouldn’t fly through LHR (even though you will stay in one terminal) because it is a faff
- I would not take a train from FRA to Berlin. It is a long journey and, contrary to popular belief, German ICE trains can also run late or be cancelled. I’m not sure why there is any less chance of a misconnect with a train than a plane, but LH has flights to Berlin every hour. It’s a 45 minute flight. Also, there are no private personal booths on German trains.
- Whatever its shortcomings, TXL is a fantastic arrivals airport. I take the EWR-TXL flight about seven/eight times a year. Last week we arrived just after 0800, and I was out of the aircraft at 0810, at the taxi rank at 0817, and home at 0835. There advice that the Hauptbahnhof is closer to the centre is only relevant if OP is staying in Mitte or further east. To Ku’damm TXL will be as convenient.
As a native Berliner now living in Florida who is taking trips to Berlin about 6 times/year, I want to agree 100% with these statements.
My choice in order would be LAX-FRA connecting onto LH FRA-TXL or if you want to stay on UA, LAX-EWR-TXL. Immigration in TXL is a non event if you get out of the plane first and once you land you are there. LHR-TXL only has a few flights/day so if you arrive late into LHR you might end up waiting for quite a long time for your next connection (same issue if flying via ZRH). FRA on the other hand has hourly flights to TXL. I prefer connecting stateside over a European connection whenever possible so that I can avoid misconnects.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Christefan
I prefer connecting stateside over a European connection whenever possible so that I can avoid misconnects.
This makes no sense to me. Isn't the likelihood of misconnects even greater stateside? If the LAX-EWR flight is late and you miss the only EWR-TXL flight then you have to wait 24 hours or have to take two more planes to get to TXL. How is that better than having to wait a few hours but still get out same day in LHR, ZRH, FRA, MUC?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As a native Berliner now living in Florida who is taking trips to Berlin about 6 times/year, I want to agree 100% with these statements.
My choice in order would be LAX-FRA connecting onto LH FRA-TXL or if you want to stay on UA, LAX-EWR-TXL. Immigration in TXL is a non event if you get out of the plane first and once you land you are there. LHR-TXL only has a few flights/day so if you arrive late into LHR you might end up waiting for quite a long time for your next connection (same issue if flying via ZRH). FRA on the other hand has hourly flights to TXL. I prefer connecting stateside over a European connection whenever possible so that I can avoid misconnects.
I suspect we may have been on the same flight before.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boolean64
This makes no sense to me. Isn't the likelihood of misconnects even greater stateside? If the LAX-EWR flight is late and you miss the only EWR-TXL flight then you have to wait 24 hours or have to take two more planes to get to TXL. How is that better than having to wait a few hours but still get out same day in LHR, ZRH, FRA, MUC?
I also much prefer to connect in Europe. I try to leave a long enough connection for a shower at FRA/ZRH/MUC. I've never minded the short final segment in Euro Business. And you're much less likely to be delayed/cancelled on long-haul TATL than a domestic UA connector.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I also much prefer to connect in Europe. I try to leave a long enough connection for a shower at FRA/ZRH/MUC. I've never minded the short final segment in Euro Business. And you're much less likely to be delayed/cancelled on long-haul TATL than a domestic UA connector.
Question: Do you also take a connection through FRA on the return to the US? How much time do you think is a long enough connection at FRA in that direction?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Question: Do you also take a connection through FRA on the return to the US? How much time do you think is a long enough connection at FRA in that direction?
There are quite a few around here who transit FRA more frequently than I, but on a single ticket, I'd rather not go under 90 minutes, and two hours would be preferred. I like the LH lounges so I'm fine erring on the side of a longer connection.

I've done 60 minutes inbound from the US several times and it's always worked, though a couple of them were pretty stressful.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There are quite a few around here who transit FRA more frequently than I, but on a single ticket, I'd rather not go under 90 minutes, and two hours would be preferred. I like the LH lounges so I'm fine erring on the side of a longer connection.

I've done 60 minutes inbound from the US several times and it's always worked, though a couple of them were pretty stressful.
I think this is pretty good guidance. My personal MCT is 1h30 connecting to TATL and 0h50 from TATL to short-haul (bump to 1h30 if making the connection is a hard requirement versus being ok taking the next flight). I have also never missed a 60 minute connection inbound to a Schengen flight.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
I agree except that I'd go with the 1h30 across the board -- I found inbound TATL is often late enough that 0h50 would not be enough at FRA. Granted, LH will put you on the next flight, so not too bad, to be sure.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Thank you for your answer. I have 2 hours 16 minutes coming back. The only reason I took this connection is because I found PZ>0 at booking. First trip ever that I find PZ>0 at booking!
Kacee and zoechow like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by boolean64
If you misconnect stateside, typically you have more options to get a reroute than when arriving at the European connection stop where onwards flights are much harder to predict.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'm not sure this makes sense. Sure if you misconnect at EWR on the way to TXL, you can be rerouted via ZRH (late LX flight), LHR or FRA (if you're lucky since UA960 only departs 1 hour after UA962), but that adds an additional connection and opportunity to misconnect on the shorthaul to TXL.

Also, you'll end up in the same position as if you had taken a direct TATL flight from LAX... with the additional consequence of having to wake up early to catch the transcon to EWR. Missing the connection after the LAX TATL flight simply means waiting for the next shorthaul which I think is far easier to manage vs. the scenario above.

If you misconnect stateside, typically you have more options to get a reroute than when arriving at the European connection stop where onwards flights are much harder to predict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.