Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
BULKHEAD OR NON-BULKHEAD

I have BH seats booked on an upcoming SFO HKG flight and based on the comments from various posts here, I gather that:

PROS

1. No one reclines into you.
2. LOTS of legroom.

CONS

1. IFE screen is smaller and the device is placed at an awkward position.
2. Leg rest is not functional or not comfortable.
3. No under seat storage for takeoff and landing.

Does anyone have anything else to add? For those of you who have traveled on a BH seat, would you do it again? Or would you prefer a non-BH seat?

Thanks in advance.
IFE does not bother me. I will take the first row any time, especially the two seats on the side of 77W. The middle seats have too much traffic.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
2. LOTS of legroom. ...
Yes but does vary based on aircraft type

.... 2. Leg rest is not functional or not comfortable. ...
Depends on passenger

Does anyone have anything else to add? For those of you who have traveled on a BH seat, would you do it again? ....
Yes because I did not find the cons as problematic as some. And as I tend to an aisle seat, I like the window person is able to exit without me needing to move (much).
atword likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:13 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:41 pm

Just had a flight for the first time on a 777-200 with PP in 20L. The seat definitely has less bulkhead leg room than the 777-300. All else the same seat wise.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
BULKHEAD OR NON-BULKHEAD

I have BH seats booked on an upcoming SFO HKG flight and based on the comments from various posts here, I gather that:

PROS

1. No one reclines into you.
2. LOTS of legroom.

CONS

1. IFE screen is smaller and the device is placed at an awkward position.
2. Leg rest is not functional or not comfortable.
3. No under seat storage for takeoff and landing.

Does anyone have anything else to add? For those of you who have traveled on a BH seat, would you do it again? Or would you prefer a non-BH seat?

Thanks in advance.
I've sat in both and I'm 6'2". For sleeping, I think BH window is best since you can use the wall if you want to lean, you won't get disturbed by your seatmate, and you can get past your reclined seatmate relatively easy.

And if you are tall, the flip-out footrest in BH is better than the pegs in non-BH.

I find that the non-BH is more claustrophobic and there's not as much space if you want to contort yourself, cross your legs, etc.

I had no issue with the smaller popup video screen.

If I was on, say a return from EU, I would probably pick a non BH aisle because the video experience is a bit better and easier.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Thank you, all, for your informative and insightful replies.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:48 pm

As a follow up to my postings a week or so ago, I also enjoyed PP on my way home from HKG to EWR. After experiencing 20A from EWR to HKG, I grabbed it again when I had the chance. My original booking had been for 21B because I thought I'd try the non-BH row to see how it was, but I changed my mind. I'm 6'2" and my feet couldn't touch the BH wall, even if stretched out completely. This made getting past my neighbor very easy. I'm normally an aisle guy but with how easy it is to exit, I'll take the window/wall for ease of rest if I can get BH.

I mentioned the heel killer hinge and took a picture. This ONLY applies to BH seats:

This was the gluten free meal (GFML) HKG-EWR. Chicken and rice, a salad with cubed carrots and slice of salmon, crummy gluten free bread, and ANOTHER half-filled glass of wine. At least they filled it more than this on the two refills.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by atword
As a follow up to my postings a week or so ago, I also enjoyed PP on my way home from HKG to EWR. After experiencing 20A from EWR to HKG, I grabbed it again when I had the chance. My original booking had been for 21B because I thought I'd try the non-BH row to see how it was, but I changed my mind. I'm 6'2" and my feet couldn't touch the BH wall, even if stretched out completely. This made getting past my neighbor very easy. I'm normally an aisle guy but with how easy it is to exit, I'll take the window/wall for ease of rest if I can get BH.

I mentioned the heel killer hinge and took a picture. This ONLY applies to BH seats:

This was the gluten free meal (GFML) HKG-EWR. Chicken and rice, a salad with cubed carrots and slice of salmon, crummy gluten free bread, and ANOTHER half-filled glass of wine. At least they filled it more than this on the two refills.
Is this the BH foot flap that folds out? What's getting pinched?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak
Is this the BH foot flap that folds out? What's getting pinched?
Yes, it’s the flap on the BH seats. Nothing is getting pinched. Your heel can hit the corner of the hinge. This can hurt in socks over 12+ hours, or it can scrape up leather shoes really badly.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Recently flew BCN-EWR in Premium Plus. Was mostly a great experience except for the mass confusion over toilets and drink service. Some of the Polaris FAs were policing the toilets and rejected PP passengers and some were not. I wouldn't mind so much but it was inconsistent and many Y passengers were even coming through PP to use the Polaris bathroom. At one point in the flight we asked for more drinks and were told to use the call button, only to have the exact same FA come and attend to us! Are they somehow rewarded for responding to the call button quickly?

I wonder if it is Polaris Light or Economy Plus? Since it is officially called Premium Plus and Economy Plus is already taken I tend to think of it as an old school business class and therefore Polaris Light.

I would fly it again for sure but would hope the soft product is improved and consistent.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001

I wonder if it is Polaris Light or Economy Plus? Since it is officially called Premium Plus and Economy Plus is already taken I tend to think of it as an old school business class and therefore Polaris Light.
I believe UA is intending it to be Economy Plus Plus vs Polaris light.
Kacee and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I think you are right but it is a bit of a shame, because with the exception of the attitude from the FA's it really was close to Polaris Light. However, if E++ keeps the price lower then I will take it!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
.........This was the gluten free meal (GFML) HKG-EWR. Chicken and rice, a salad with cubed carrots and slice of salmon, crummy gluten free bread, and ANOTHER half-filled glass of wine. At least they filled it more than this on the two refills.

I always makes me upset that the GF meal in business, PE and even when when UA had First class international is the same as regular coach meal with a little extra.
On the other hand Air Canada, LH and KLM makes an effort to serve a better Gluten Free experience in flight
LH first class was the best, followed by Jetblue Mint.
atword likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:04 pm

Any thoughts on 20E (bulkhead, middle seat) vs 22D (aisle, next to toilets) on a 777-300ER?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Any thoughts on 20E (bulkhead, middle seat) vs 22D (aisle, next to toilets) on a 777-300ER?
The middle bulkhead can be used as a path for FAs or passengers but there is enough room that a few trips during the flight might be worth it to have so much extra legroom. I enjoyed 20A very much because of the legroom...it would be a tough call for me to choose between 22D and 20E. For both 21 and 22 the seat legs in front of you will end up between your feet. It's somewhat awkward (you can't cross your feet) but legroom is still more than E+.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:11 pm

The middle bulkhead can be used as a path for FAs or passengers but there is enough room that a few trips during the flight might be worth it to have so much extra legroom. I enjoyed 20A very much because of the legroom...it would be a tough call for me to choose between 22D and 20E. For both 21 and 22 the seat legs in front of you will end up between your feet. It's somewhat awkward (you can't cross your feet) but legroom is still more than E+.
Thanks! I will go with 20E (and hope my GPU clears)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.