Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by findark
I'm starting to see differential R fares across the Atlantic.. honestly I'm rather surprised since LH and AC had been happily selling PE at a much higher price point for years so I'm not sure why UA felt the need to upset the applecart. Not complaining, mind you
I'm seeing direct TATL PE flights (SFO-CDG) in the summer for $2300 r/t, but curiously, a bunch of UA + another *G carrier flights for $1500-$1600. For example, Mixed cabin, where the short hop (FRA-CDG) is in E, but the SFO-FRA is in PE. The direct flight (SFO-CDG) is $2300. The Economy fare (not PE) is presently higher priced than the mixed PE/E.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'm seeing direct TATL PE flights (SFO-CDG) in the summer for $2300 r/t, but curiously, a bunch of UA + another *G carrier flights for $1500-$1600. For example, Mixed cabin, where the short hop (FRA-CDG) is in E, but the SFO-FRA is in PE. The direct flight (SFO-CDG) is $2300. The Economy fare (not PE) is presently higher priced than the mixed PE/E.
Round-trip "prices" are very misleading/unreliable. The R fare is as low as $1,250 r/t depending on seasonality, but the nonstop in R appears more expensive because it is silently getting paired with the nonstop return flight which only has A space.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:23 pm

I finally got to try Delta's Premium Select service a few days ago; I look forward to comparing it to UA's Premium Plus service end of this month/early April. I have high expectations that UA will not disappoint! Given it appears the Premium Select and Premium Plus seats are the exact same model type, there better be a clear distinction in the soft product between the two!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:02 pm

Thoughts on PP from UA869 in early March. Seat 21A. Over the last 60 days have flown UA869 or UA862 in Polaris, PP, and E+. I'm a regular TPAC flyer on BR in Royal Laurel and sometimes in Premium Economy, having steadfastly avoided flying UA as much as possible but for whatever reason, 2019 has seen me on UA more often than not.

For background, I'm 6'1"/185cm and thin.

Booked the flight about 30 days before departure and selected a PP seat. At about 60 hours prior to departure I was booted into E+ when a plane was assigned to our flight. Not sure why this happens as the seats should have mapped perfectly. By the time I realized I had been booted into E+ the entire PP cabin was full so I had to watch like a hawk until a seat opened up.

+ The gulf between PP and E+/E- in terms of comfort is unbelievable. Literally off the charts in terms of difference. Stepped off BR869 after flying in PP and was in pretty good shape physically and mentally despite not having slept. Compare this to the same flight in E+ at the beginning of the year and I was literally cursing the day I was born after that terrible experience. As others have posted, not having to be in direct physical contact with strangers for 16+ hours makes all the difference in the world.

+ The leg rest on all seats is a really nice touch and a differentiating positive factor relative to BR's premium economy. I was a bit too tall to utilize it effectively, but for most people it will be a welcome addition.

+ Loved that the tray tables (at least for the A/B and K/L seats) are NOT in between the two seats. So for 21A it was to my left and for 21B it was to the right. I noticed 21B at some point had managed to lower the entire armrest/tray table so that it was flush with the seat cushion.

+ The IFE screen was very sensitive and responded to even the slightest touch. No vigorous tapping required. I had no problems with sound as others have reported.

+ Seats are spacious enough so that I could wiggle around and not intrude into my seatmate's space. Recline seems to be broadly similar to the peer group.

- Much prefer the fabric seat coverings (breathable!) on BR and CX relative to the leather on UA.

- Seat cushion was too firm for my taste. Would be a lot more comfortable if they used similar foam to domestic first class seats.

- The cabin is too small to even contemplate having a dedicated lavatory.

- As others have mentioned, the headphone jack and USB port are in a bizarro location, but once you know where they are it isn't so bad.

- Very little under-seat storage, although I was able to get my full sized backpack most of the way under the seat when I placed it sideways.

Bottom line is that I loved the experience in PP relative to the simply dreadful TPAC experience in E+. I think it's a great product and UA deserves credit for delivering it. Based on some non-comprehensive fare searches, it seems to be priced similarly to BR on the routes I typically fly. That's probably not enough to get me to switch, but at least I now know to not actively avoid UA if not flying in business.
Aussienarelle and tstauck like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Equipment swap ORD-GRU the other week resulted in getting bumped into one of these seats, a relief from doing it in Y. Since it was an equipment swap, we didn't get any of the other perks. I just booked a paid seat in PP, what's the dining like?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by grant2112
- Seat cushion was too firm for my taste. Would be a lot more comfortable if they used similar foam to domestic first class seats.
This is a really common complaint whenever a new seat rolls out, and it's usually because they loosen up after a year or so in service. It's not a bad thing for the brand new seat to be firm.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Equipment swap ORD-GRU the other week resulted in getting bumped into one of these seats, a relief from doing it in Y. Since it was an equipment swap, we didn't get any of the other perks. I just booked a paid seat in PP, what's the dining like?
No one knows for sure or by actual experience because formal PP service has not yet started -- starts the end of March 2019
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA
What does "Premier Access?" mean

United texted this morning and said my plane was delayed. I logged in to look at flight status and noticed this on their website:

For what it's worth, I am flying in long haul economy plus and it looks like my seat is one of the new premium plus seats. Does this mean I can use the premier check in at the airport?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, you can use United's Premier Access check-in counter at airport and (if available) Premier Access TSA security line.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No one knows for sure or by actual experience because formal PP service has not yet started -- starts the end of March 2019
^ Thought is started the beginning of this March. I'm out of it, thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vaguba
What does "Premier Access?" mean
United texted this morning and said my plane was delayed. I logged in to look at flight status and noticed this on their website:

For what it's worth, I am flying in long haul economy plus and it looks like my seat is one of the new premium plus seats. Does this mean I can use the premier check in at the airport?
Yes and earlier boarding
Premier Access is part of the PremiumPlus package, appears Premier Access is being turned on early (before 30 March 2019)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Round-trip "prices" are very misleading/unreliable. The R fare is as low as $1,250 r/t depending on seasonality, but the nonstop in R appears more expensive because it is silently getting paired with the nonstop return flight which only has A space.
Very curious indeed, I noticed when staring a booking (currency = EUR) that R space was available, but when changing payment, it switched the booking to USD and also switched the fare class R to A (adding about 50 dollars to the fare) for SFO -> CDG - only caught it after booking.

On entirely unrelated note:

Is there any indication that the last row of Premium Plus on either of the 777s or the 787-10 has any difference in recline?

Last edited by DrBB; Mar 9, 2019 at 5:44 pm Reason: Forgot to add the question I read the the thread to ask :)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Originally Posted by DrBB
Is there any indication that the last row of Premium Plus on either of the 777s or the 787-10 has any difference in recline?
On the 773, no difference in the recline. There is actually extra space between the seatback and wall. However, if seated in the middle section aisle seat, your seatback will be frequently bumped into since half of the seat protrudes in the walkway with the 2-4-2 config shifting the aisle walkway between E+ and PE.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
I hope I'm not repeating a question that was already answered...
I'm a UA *Gold traveling int'l on K fare on a 777 that offers Premium Economy seats. While I understand those seats come from a different fare bucket (A,O If I recall correctly), is there a way to upgrade at OLCI or a different way to make my trip a little more pampering (and NO, not interested in paying an arm & leg to sit up front)?
If it was discussed feel free to refer me to the answer.

Many thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by rebech34
I hope I'm not repeating a question that was already answered...
I'm a UA *Gold traveling int'l on K fare on a 777 that offers Premium Economy seats. While I understand those seats come from a different fare bucket (A,O If I recall correctly), is there a way to upgrade at OLCI or a different way to make my trip a little more pampering (and NO, not interested in paying an arm & leg to sit up front)?
If it was discussed feel free to refer me to the answer.

Many thanks!
As this service as a separate cabin has not yet started what UA plans to offer at OCLI is not yet known. Time will tell.
Should be no issue upfaring to O, A, or R today
And mileage upgrades into RN may be available (think the same roughly mileage as for business but no copay)
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...ardTravel.aspx

My guess RN will be tight until UA has a better sense of demand
rebech34 and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2019 at 2:48 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.