Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by juan516
Until now, Lufthansa would credit to pax booked and ticketed in A 300 % of flown distance plus a 25% of flown distance Executive Bonus (HON, SEN, FTL) compared to a ticketed pax in booking class J who would only get 200% of flown distance plus the 25% of flown distance Executive Bonus. This means 33 % less status miles for Miles & More customers which can make status requalification impossible.
My UA A ticket also got rebooked into D. I specifically booked in A and spend some extra $ for my next SFO - ORD flight to reach LH SEN. This won't happen now with the worse booking class
Can I still be adamant that I will get 325% (A) instead of 225% (D) status miles?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cevou
My UA A ticket also got rebooked into D. I specifically booked in A and spend some extra $ for my next SFO - ORD flight to reach LH SEN. This won't happen now with the worse booking class
Can I still be adamant that I will get 325% (A) instead of 225% (D) status miles?
UA has removed A so there is little recourse for that.
You probably have a good case for a fare refund.

As for crediting to Miles&More, that is an LH issue but airlines have typically taken the stance, mileage earning is based on rules in place at the time of travel. This would take some kind of special exception -- not sure of LH's policy.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think your best avenue is a partial refund from UA if you ask politely. The 325% credit from LH is pretty obviously a loophole, and with German rule-following I don't think you'll get very far arguing with LH.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by UA Insider
PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
PZ=0 then LHR-SFO-LHR then? Deep joy.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cevou
You would have to take that up with LH. Assuming you still have your ticket receipt showing 'A'-class you can argue with that ... and they might go with it assuming they haven't updated their earning page yet. Did the ticket keep the 'A'? Or did they change that as well?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jsloan
JN is last-seat availability for premier members (and possibly United-branded chase credit card members; I don't recall). ZN may be capacity controlled, but is available for everyone. If both are available on the same flight, there's no difference in the number of miles required.
Thank you.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has removed A so there is little recourse for that.
Does this mean that no more LH & LX discounted first will be sold on united.com?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Does this mean that no more LH & LX discounted first will be sold on united.com?
not on United codeshare, but it should be possible on LH code with a connecting UA segment. Currently this does not work though ... through Google flights it looks like you can punch through to United but when you try that if gives you an error. Looks like something United IT needs to fix

Last edited by cfischer; Oct 24, 2018 at 10:36 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Can I suggest one of the Evangelists/Mods update the wiki on this thread. The contained simple statement in the current wiki leaves many questions and I am even more confused reading many of the above posts. I know perhaps it is still to early to add much but any additional information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Can I suggest one of the Evangelists/Mods update the wiki on this thread. The contained simple statement in the current wiki leaves many questions and I am even more confused reading many of the above posts. I know perhaps it is still to early to add much but any additional information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
What do you find confusing still?

Not that I fit your description, but I started a list with a suggested format and a couple items.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
What do you find confusing still?

Not that I fit your description, but I started a list with a suggested format and a couple items.
Sorry didn't see it is it above?
One easy question is this.... so when searching for the ever elusive R space it is now listed as PZ right? Also, PN space, typically for GS upgrades, remains the same? Also the award coding, what are the differences NOW between JN, ZN, IN, I. Have these codes remained the same. Sorry if dumb questions but I am of the believe that no question is dumb at this point.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One easy question is this.... so when searching for the ever elusive R space it is now listed as PZ right? Also, PN space, typically for GS upgrades, remains the same? Also the award coding, what are the differences NOW between JN, ZN, IN, I. Have these codes remained the same. Sorry if dumb questions but I am of the believe that no question is dumb at this point.
The only change from last week regarding award or upgrade classes is that R has become PZ (and FN, O, and ON, which were three-class first award classes, have all been retired).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is in the wiki after UA Insider's post. I just added it in response to your post!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cfischer
You would have to take that up with LH. Assuming you still have your ticket receipt showing 'A'-class you can argue with that ... and they might go with it assuming they haven't updated their earning page yet. Did the ticket keep the 'A'? Or did they change that as well?
eTicket Receipt still shows A, Trip Details on the website show D. I'm flying tomorrow, so I will see what gets credited afterward.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
So If I see a PZ fare bucket: is that an upgrade from economy >bz (like R was)?
And, could anyone offer a good routing scheme b/c I need to get to Kyoto, then depart from Tokyo (2weeks later). Figured the n/s to Tokyo would be the most efficient. Have to get a connector to Kyoto (Osaka?).
Finally, will one of you savvy types create a new "fare bucket" doc for the community to refer to?
All very confusing...
Many thanks!

What is "P" bucket upgrade and for which elite tier?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2018 at 9:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.