Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
so frustrating all my upcoming flights PN > 0 PZ0
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:18 am

Newly minted Platinum here.

is it expected that the vast majority of flights I’ve searched for, even picking dates and destinations randomly, have PZ = 0? I’m normally based out of SFO, so I can see why availability is slim, but I’ve literally picked source and destination airports out of a hat and have yet to see a single PZ > 0 flight.

also, is there any way to actually search for a particular upgrade fare bucket? No right?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viggyfresh
is it expected that the vast majority of flights I’ve searched for, even picking dates and destinations randomly, have PZ = 0? I’m normally based out of SFO, so I can see why availability is slim, but I’ve literally picked source and destination airports out of a hat and have yet to see a single PZ > 0 flight.

also, is there any way to actually search for a particular upgrade fare bucket? No right?
Yes, it is expected, and no, there's no way to search for flights that have PZ availability.

UA is extremely stingy with PZ availability, especially domestic, and especially out of SFO. You may have more luck with flights that are near departure, but, of course, the no-advance-purchase fare can be pretty high.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Viggyfresh
Newly minted Platinum here.

This is normal, especially for domestic flights. Off the top of my head, EWR-MSP and IAD-MSP tend to have a lot of advance PZ space.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iandm
so frustrating all my upcoming flights PN > 0 PZ0
Yes. They'd cut the PN availability for a while, now it's back like it was a couple years ago. Highlighting the value of GS vs. 1K.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by viggyfresh
newly minted platinum here.

Is it expected that the vast majority of flights i’ve searched for, even picking dates and destinations randomly, have pz = 0? I’m normally based out of sfo, so i can see why availability is slim, but i’ve literally picked source and destination airports out of a hat and have yet to see a single pz > 0 flight.

Also, is there any way to actually search for a particular upgrade fare bucket? No right?
sfo-nrt
12/4/18 pz6
1/15/19 pz9
1/16/19 pz9
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:16 am
guw

Be Aware

I may have just got hit by this yesterday (among other things).

I have a 016 ticket with LH First (A) on long haul (AMS-MUC-SFO and back SFO-LAX-FRA-AMS). The return has a short haul connection flight, which was originally listed as booking class A United First. It all started with an eager LH service agent in Amsterdam who wanted to be helpful and get me onto an early flight to not miss my connection in MUC. Somehow my ticket got broken and the MUC-SFO ended up in Premium Economy on the boarding pass. I didn't realize until after security. I had that fixed by LH staff in the First class lounge in Munich. However, they probably ran into the issue with A no longer being available on the SFO-LAX flight and they also did somethings else wrong. In the end they issued a new ticket with that segment in D. When it then synced into the United system the whole return trip (including the LH First class flight LAX-FRA) got converted into booking class (D). Now the chaos was perfect.

Thanks to the 1K hotline, my ticket is back in order now. I should have called them in the beginning in Amsterdam. Sight.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I purchased Premium Plus a few weeks ago and it was R. Now when I look online to see what the latest price is I noticed Premium Plus is now A. if I look randomly I can see both R and A being used, so I guess they are reusing A.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I purchased Premium Plus a few weeks ago and it was R. Now when I look online to see what the latest price is I noticed Premium Plus is now A. if I look randomly I can see both R and A being used, so I guess they are reusing A.
Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
Paid PPfare classes are O,A, or R
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA
Award space fare class for LH flights booked on UA

I am trying to find an award ticket for a direct FRA-LAX flight with LH in September on the UA website. On Sep 4, both the morning and afternoon flights show R6 availability when doing a "price" search, but if I do an "award travel" search, only the morning flights shows as being bookable with miles.

Isn't R class partner award space on the UA website? I am trying to find any saver award space for econ or business class.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rippler
I am trying to find an award ticket for a direct FRA-LAX flight with LH in September on the UA website. On Sep 4, both the morning and afternoon flights show R6 availability when doing a "price" search, but if I do an "award travel" search, only the morning flights shows as being bookable with miles.

Isn't R class partner award space on the UA website? I am trying to find any saver award space for econ or business class.
What class of service do you want for your award?

R is not an award fare class, it is now revenue Premium Economy on UA.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA
Originally Posted by findark
What class of service do you want for your award?

R is not an award fare class, it is now revenue Premium Economy on UA.
I am pretty flexible in that regard but would want a saver ticket and the direct LH flight. I would take an economy ticket for now for 30k, and, if a business seat becomes available, would rebook later.

More generally, I am also interested in the interpretation of fare classes for LH (or partner airlines) in the UA search engine. I found a lot of information on the fare classes for UA flights, but not on those for partner airlines'.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rippler
More generally, I am also interested in the interpretation of fare classes for LH (or partner airlines) in the UA search engine. I found a lot of information on the fare classes for UA flights, but not on those for partner airlines'.
It is not a good idea to use UA's Expert Mode to look at a partner's fare classes. First, if a codeshare, UA will display UA codeshare fare class. Second UA will only display some of the partner's data.

Tools like Expert Flyer or KVS or .... are better.

Also, while many of the fare class structures are similar in *A, then are differences (such as Premium Economy) it is better to go to the forum for that airline to understand their fare structure.
Many *A carriers use I for business awards and upgrades and X for economy awards and upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.