FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1936444-changes-uas-fare-classes-19-20-october-2018-a.html)

Sykes Oct 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Just got the following from United Sales ... I don't see this reported elsewhere:
Starting the evening of Friday, October 19, into the early hours of Saturday, October 20, we are realigning some premium booking codes and discontinuing the use of others to prepare for the launch of United® Premium Plus. This will impact flight schedules, availability and PNRs for travel on/after Monday, October 22.

As a result, between October 19 at 5:00 p.m. CT and 1:00 a.m. CT on October 20, for travel on/after October 22, seat maps will be unavailable and seats cannot be assigned by agencies or United (reservations airports, united.com, etc.).​ Similar to a schedule change, a GDS response message will indicate that seat maps are unavailable. Times are subject to change.

We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you view seat maps and assign seats after the times listed above.

As part of this change, we will also officially stop offering United Polaris® first class as a separate cabin from United Polaris business class.

Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights will be as follows:

Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
Upgrade: PN, PZ

pushmyredbutton Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Is PZ an entirely new upgrade code? If so, I wonder what it's use will be for...

jsloan Oct 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30330005)
Is PZ an entirely new upgrade code? If so, I wonder what it's use will be for...

It's almost certainly a replacement for R, which is apparently becoming a P+ code, either for revenue or award tickets.

And, to ward off speculation: No, this does not mean that confirmed upgrades will switch to P+. All R inventory will be changed to PZ when they make this switchover.

pushmyredbutton Oct 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30330013)
It's almost certainly a replacement for R, which is apparently becoming a P+ code, either for revenue or award tickets.

And, to ward off speculation: No, this does not mean that confirmed upgrades will switch to P+. All R inventory will be changed to PZ when they make this switchover.

I hope we see loads of PZ then before they claw it back during the transition :cool:

Kacee Oct 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30330276)
I'm honestly really surprised they're going to so much trouble to remap R.

Yes I think this is a mistake. They should have just taken G, E, and N, and created new economy codes.

pushmyredbutton Oct 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 30330312)

This was going to be my question as well. It's going to be a real interesting answer. Whoever books earliest gets first instead of 2-4-2 business? Or will they not allowed assigned seats but now process upgrades from business to first to let people upgrade from business. This way revenue economy customers don't die on the waitlist with global first empty.

Didn't UA have a similar issue when they were phasing out the 3-class ps birds? IIRC the system was set up to only allow a subgroup of customers to select the F seats in advance.

findark Oct 18, 2018 4:03 pm

I believe the plan will be to block all of F and to assign the seats to high-value customers (some memo was saying it was by ticket price, could be GS, etc.) at the gate or by contacting them in advance. It would be similar to how they did this when 3-class aircraft flew p.s. routes a couple of years ago.

Because First is being removed as a cabin, I think from a systems perspective there will be no longer any possible upgrades from J.

prometa Oct 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30330276)
Hm, so looks like R is getting a remap to PZ. Also, they're taking a nine-hour full system outage for this... if you're traveling early next week I would highly recommend preparing for major IT issues when this migration inevitably goes wrong somewhere.

Here's hoping my existing R segments get migrated to PZ with no issues :)

I'm honestly really surprised they're going to so much trouble to remap R. The First codes are already seamlessly disappearing after they sunset domestic A fares a month or two back, but I suspect this one is going to be rough.

I am also surprised they are remapping R. A and O are now unused. (I can see why they aren’t using F)

I have a domestic JN booking in a three-class 772 coming up. Guess I will be getting up in the wee hours of Saturday morning to see if I can move to former F, just in case.

mrt88 Oct 18, 2018 9:18 pm

So if R maps to PZ, PN continues for GS + instant up for 1k on y/b/m, then no more RN? Admittedly RN was usually the same as R but I did see a few times differences.

jsloan Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by mrt88 (Post 30331126)
So if R maps to PZ, PN continues for GS + instant up for 1k on y/b/m, then no more RN? Admittedly RN was usually the same as R but I did see a few times differences.

I don't know how many of these details they'll publish vs. what we'll figure out by trial and error. I'd say there's a good likelihood that RN is gone, though. It wouldn't surprise me if it were to return for upgrades into P+, if they were to offer any.

Sykes Oct 19, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mrt88 (Post 30331126)

Why would they keep RN around? It wasn't used at all.

Kacee Oct 19, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Sykes (Post 30332863)
Why would they keep RN around? It wasn't used at all.

It's been used for elite upgrades below 1K for a while now.

Sykes Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30332880)
It's been used for elite upgrades below 1K for a while now.

Oh, cool ... I had no idea.

findark Oct 19, 2018 1:15 pm

The real question is whether this makes it formally impossible to book three-cabin First as a UA codeshare (assuming answer is yes, not that carriers like to give UA codeshare F inventory anyway).

findark Oct 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dav3d (Post 30331745)
Anyone have an informed opinion if United codeshare bookings (016) for PE on *A (e.g., O,A,U on Air NZ) will become possible after United officially rolls out the product?

Almost certainly will be possible.