Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Does this list look accurate? ....
Looks mostly correct, missing some details (Domestic F awards)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1270547
and as reported above, the UA systems are using some codes in unexpected ways

Plus we don't have information on the Premium Plus / Premium Economy codes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Don't think it has been mentioned yet, but with these changes it looks like you can't book ANA or LH F on a 016 ticket anymore...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Don't think it has been mentioned yet, but with these changes it looks like you can't book ANA or LH F on a 016 ticket anymore...
You can, just not as a UA codeshare.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can, just not as a UA codeshare.
seems to be somewhat broken though even on LH code. Been unsuccessful.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
seems to be somewhat broken though even on LH code. Been unsuccessful.
united.com will return F options on LH flights (I searched FRA-SIN). I did not go all the way through the booking process.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Had a quirky thing happen on my flights this week.

First the normal...the return legs of the r/t ticket upgraded at the 96-hour window into PZ as expected. Original fare class is 'T'.

Outbound I had some issues. Originally had an RPU applied and the second leg was upgraded to "PN". When I called the day before the flights to SDC the outbound I asked the agent to remove the RPU because the first leg still had no hope and the second leg (already upgraded) was still wide open so I would be picked up in the CPU sweep. Ticket all sorted and online both segment show "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested".

A few hours later my second leg upgrades as expected but the class is again showing "PN" and that my RPU was used for the upgrade. Huh? At this point the flight only had 1 seat in the front cabin left for sale. I called United and explained the situation and she said the ticket showed the other agent tried to refund my RPU but that it was stuck in queue. She had no idea why the reservation upgraded using the RPU again. She unchecked me in, removed the RPU and got me upgraded under CPU. (No clue how she did it considering CPU space wouldn't have opened with just two seats for sale up front). I again was booked into "PN". This flight was booked in "W" class.

So, do 1Ks in W or higher class get "PN" for upgrade space? Why are some flights showing up in PN and others in PZ?

Note: the following day I attempted to SDC the outbound flights. The app showed me several options all of which had the first outbound flight in "W" and the connecting flight to my destination in "PN". So whoever gets booked into "PN" will enjoy the benefit of SDC'ing directly onto other flights with "PN". The downside is that if you are in "PN" only flights with "PN" will appear for SDC. If you want to SDC to your original coach fare class you'll have to call. (Was this way last year when I was GS so it hasn't changed).

-RM
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:17 pm

The JV routes yield no F options on Google Flights or united.com. I think UA/Orion would catch this.

united.com will return F options on LH flights (I searched FRA-SIN). I did not go all the way through the booking process.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I can confirm that SDC is only offering options in the CPU'd class on my flights. "PZ" is my upgrade class for the return flights and while there are a ton of options open in my original coach class, I'm only getting SDC options if "PZ" is open on both flights (I have to connect as I'm ending in LGA).

While I appreciate this feature and many have asked for it, I'm quite sure it's a bug and will be fixed soon.

-RM
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So, do 1Ks in W or higher class get "PN" for upgrade space? Why are some flights showing up in PN and others in PZ?
-RM
No to the first question, I had been twice upgraded (CPU) into PN spaces with G booking code.
I have no idea about the second question. My RPU’ed segments had been cleared into PZ spaces, though.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu

No to the first question, I had been twice upgraded (CPU) into PN spaces with G booking code.
I have no idea about the second question. My RPU’ed segments had been cleared into PZ spaces, though.
As a 1K, I had two flights yesterday in H. The second leg upgraded several days out into PZ. The first leg upgraded to PN within 24 hours.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MCLC
As a 1K, I had two flights yesterday in H. The second leg upgraded several days out into PZ. The first leg upgraded to PN within 24 hours.
Similar experience yesterday; CPU within 24 h into PN for this 1K, too. I had to remove my upgrade in order to change to a later flight, which had no availability in either PZ or PN.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:13 am

The JV routes yield no F options on Google Flights or united.com. I think UA/Orion would catch this.
It's always been hit or miss getting native flight numbers offered on JV routes
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Had a quirky thing happen on my flights this week.

First the normal...the return legs of the r/t ticket upgraded at the 96-hour window into PZ as expected. Original fare class is 'T'.

Outbound I had some issues.
Originally had an RPU applied and the second leg was upgraded to "PN". When I called the day before the flights to SDC the outbound I asked the agent to remove the RPU because the first leg still had no hope and the second leg (already upgraded) was still wide open so I would be picked up in the CPU sweep. Ticket all sorted and online both segment show "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested".

A few hours later my second leg upgrades as expected but the class is again showing "PN" and that my RPU was used for the upgrade. Huh? At this point the flight only had 1 seat in the front cabin left for sale. I called United and explained the situation and she said the ticket showed the other agent tried to refund my RPU but that it was stuck in queue. She had no idea why the reservation upgraded using the RPU again. She unchecked me in, removed the RPU and got me upgraded under CPU. (No clue how she did it considering CPU space wouldn't have opened with just two seats for sale up front). I again was booked into "PN". This flight was booked in "W" class.

Note: the following day I attempted to SDC the outbound flights. The app showed me several options all of which had the first outbound flight in "W" and the connecting flight to my destination in "PN". So whoever gets booked into "PN" will enjoy the benefit of SDC'ing directly onto other flights with "PN". The downside is that if you are in "PN" only flights with "PN" will appear for SDC. If you want to SDC to your original coach fare class you'll have to call. (Was this way last year when I was GS so it hasn't changed).

-RM
This — receiving CPU when RPU has ever been associated with the PNR — has been an issue since before the fare class changes. The system seems to get confused and think that the RPU supported the upgrade even if you requested your priority changed to CPU. My best practices are just to fly with reservation confused about why the upgrade happened, and then write in afterwards to explain. The agents seem to be able to figure it out and return the certificate without issue.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:37 am

But you used to be able to book F on the codeshare flight number. At least that's what I recall. Even if you search for award F travel now, the "pay in cash" option does not show up (at least for a dummy search).

Ultimately, I don't think a lot of people are booking international F on united.com, but I would consider it for special occasion trips where redeeming miles is not realistic due to peak travel.

It's always been hit or miss getting native flight numbers offered on JV routes
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:44 am

But you used to be able to book F on the codeshare flight number.
Agreed you cannot book the codeshare in F, UA no longer has an inventory code for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.