Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any first hand reports of attempting to SDC with a confirmed segment in PZ? I imagine the old RN practice of getting reconfirmed into any other flight with RN is now gone?

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade offers on two-class planes when already cleared?

Anyone noticing upgrade offers on two-class planes even though already cleared into RPZ? I am getting some $3k-$6k offers in the app, and I'm quite curious what it would do, but not $3k curious.

--

Originally Posted by TomA

Ok understood. But how would adding PZ=2 prevent them from selling D? You think upgraders would undercut the D sales somehow?
That's fodder for a different discussion, but in point of fact the answer is UA thinks PZ2 would undercut D sales, or they'd not have made PZ0. They may be wrong, but they set the inventory.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Any first hand reports of attempting to SDC with a confirmed segment in PZ? I imagine the old RN practice of getting reconfirmed into any other flight with RN is now gone?

-FlyerBeek
I would bet so, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised at how PZ works. ? ?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Anyone noticing upgrade offers on two-class planes even though already cleared into RPZ? I am getting some $3k-$6k offers in the app, and I'm quite curious what it would do, but not $3k curious.
See my post and findark's above
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would bet so, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised at how PZ works. ? ?
It wouldn't be a pleasant surprise in the least -- unless it was limited to cleared instruments, in which case I'd be in favor. Nobody should be able to SDC on a cleared CPU and leap in front of people on the waiting list, especially given UA's propensity for holding back upgrades on some flights. The fact that RN allowed this was irritating enough.
ermintrude likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
See my post and findark's above
Originally Posted by findark
Nope, I still see PZ where it was before: e.g. SAN-SFO 01-Nov afternoon flight is J9 PZ6 IN2 I1

It's not a day before departure thing, it's a specific date. Flight on/before 21-Oct are still using FACDZP scale with R for upgrades.

I noticed that also. I'm guessing the buyup code hasn't figured out that PZ is a premium code. United is wondering if I would like to pay $6,000 for my already confirmed SFO-AKL upgrade
Ah indeed, especially given that PZ is currently at the end of the entire list rather than just after all the premium fares.

Originally Posted by jsloan
It wouldn't be a pleasant surprise in the least -- unless it was limited to cleared instruments, in which case I'd be in favor. Nobody should be able to SDC on a cleared CPU and leap in front of people on the waiting list, especially given UA's propensity for holding back upgrades on some flights. The fact that RN allowed this was irritating enough.
Well, yes, that might be a Pandora's box. I don't think it happens much with PN, based on personal observation with all the limitations that implies, but we might have a completely different story if everyone who upgrades can do it.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Has anybody used a GPU since the change where PZ>0. I’m looking at booking a TPE-SFO later today where PZ=9. I’m assuming it should clear as normal?

if not, they have a 24 hour refund policy for a reason.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, yes, that might be a Pandora's box. I don't think it happens much with PN, based on personal observation with all the limitations that implies, but we might have a completely different story if everyone who upgrades can do it.
PN doesn't bother me -- anybody who can get into PN was going to be in front of people waiting for R anyway. I honestly wouldn't have a problem if you could preserve an instant upgrade via SDC, either, so non-1Ks on Y/B fares in RN -- I never thought that was a big deal. (After all, on those fares, once you SDC'ed you'd have been able to re-confirm your upgrade anyway).

The problem was that Gold customers on CPUs got put into RN also, and that meant that they could do an end-around past 1Ks and Platinum members who were on the waitlist. You could even have two customers who got CPU'd, one a 1K and one a Gold, both SDC'ing to the same flight -- and if the flight happened to be F1.. RN1, the Gold member would keep the CPU and the 1K member would end up in Y.

Now, that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they forgot to update the SDC logic for the PZ bucket so that it works like R, but if that's the case, I'd expect it to be changed back as soon as they notice.
findark likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
but if that's the case, I'd expect it to be changed back as soon as they notice.
One hopes.. but pretty sure both PN and RN were unintended consequences they never managed to fix. PN to PN SDCs only started after years of not being able to SDC PN coupons at all.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Is tonight’s United 930 from SFO to LHR the last Polaris First flight? Anyone think there will be a special soup course on board to celebrate?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sannmann
Is tonight’s United 930 from SFO to LHR the last Polaris First flight? Anyone think there will be a special soup course on board to celebrate?
The last thing I would want for a celebration is a bowl of soup. They should serve LPGS Champagne like in First Class on BA.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:05 pm

PN doesn't bother me -- anybody who can get into PN was going to be in front of people waiting for R anyway. I honestly wouldn't have a problem if you could preserve an instant upgrade via SDC, either, so non-1Ks on Y/B fares in RN -- I never thought that was a big deal. (After all, on those fares, once you SDC'ed you'd have been able to re-confirm your upgrade anyway).

The problem was that Gold customers on CPUs got put into RN also, and that meant that they could do an end-around past 1Ks and Platinum members who were on the waitlist. You could even have two customers who got CPU'd, one a 1K and one a Gold, both SDC'ing to the same flight -- and if the flight happened to be F1.. RN1, the Gold member would keep the CPU and the 1K member would end up in Y.

Now, that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they forgot to update the SDC logic for the PZ bucket so that it works like R, but if that's the case, I'd expect it to be changed back as soon as they notice.
Perhaps that issue with RN was one of the reasons for going through all this trouble. By itself I might have assumed IT could deal with it differently, but who knows.

PN bothers me to the extent (and this was very recently confirmed by MP and also mentioned in other FT threads - so I assume it to be reality) that miles / instruments coming from GS account waitlist for PN, even if the sponsoring member is not traveling. Thus all of these requests would clear before 1K waitlisted for R (now PZ), even if the member being sponsored is general. If PN utilization and PZ availability remains unchanged as a result of the update, this practice including its impact on upgrade availability will continue whether we like or agree with it or not. It might even get worse given many instances I've observed now of PN>P, which indicates GS upgrade inventory has been de-coupled from the deeply discounted bucket.

Last edited by Xerinax; Oct 21, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by david_oz
Has anybody used a GPU since the change where PZ>0. I’m looking at booking a TPE-SFO later today where PZ=9. I’m assuming it should clear as normal?

if not, they have a 24 hour refund policy for a reason.
Yes today - I automatically cleared into PZ...
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xerinax
PN bothers me quite a bit to the extent (and this was very recently confirmed by MP and also mentioned in other FT threads - so I assume it to be reality) that miles / instruments coming from GS account waitlist for PN, even if the sponsoring member is not traveling.
This has long been true. GS instruments are inherently much more powerful than 1K instruments. UA knows that many GS members use their instruments for friends & family.

Thus all of these requests would clear before 1K waitlisted for R (now PZ), even if the member being sponsored is general. If PN utilization and PZ availability remains unchanged as a result of the update, this practice including its impact on upgrade availability will continue whether we like or agree with it or not.
UA has decided to give more valuable perk to its GS members. I'm not GS, and likely never will be, but it doesn't bother me at all. Then again, I don't fly an awful lot of GS-heavy routes.

It might even get worse given many instances I've observed now of PN>P, which indicates GS upgrade inventory has been de-coupled from the deeply discounted bucket.
I suspect PN > P is a mistake that will soon be corrected, but I don't see what effect it would have on upgrades. PN is always going to be more widely available than R.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:41 pm

This has long been true. GS instruments are inherently much more powerful than 1K instruments. UA knows that many GS members use their instruments for friends & family.

UA has decided to give more valuable perk to its GS members. I'm not GS, and likely never will be, but it doesn't bother me at all. Then again, I don't fly an awful lot of GS-heavy routes.

I suspect PN > P is a mistake that will soon be corrected, but I don't see what effect it would have on upgrades. PN is always going to be more widely available than R.

Agree that GS deserve valuable perks but there should be an equitable limit. Since R typically was never available until stale PN, whether PN>P is a mistake, I can't see how this won't continue to at least indirectly impact availability. Each cabin has finite inventory, which means friends/family/co-workers/colleagues/acquaintances/their mail person with lower or no status will occupy seats potentially otherwise available for upgrade. Then consider that many GS are 1+ MM and they select a companion, and that companions instruments now have the same power, you have a situation worse than facebook. They took same status sponsorship away years ago for the rest of the program. Benefits should be first and foremost for the traveler, and the benefit of upgrades is directly tied to inventory management.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that GS deserve valuable perks but there should be an equitable limit. Since R typically was never available until stale PN, whether PN>P is a mistake, I can't see how this won't continue to at least indirectly impact availability.
Whether P > PN or not, they're going to open PN space before they open R space. The problem with inventory isn't P0 PN9, it's PN9 R0.

Each cabin has finite inventory, which means friends/family/co-workers/colleagues/acquaintances/their mail person with lower or no status will occupy seats potentially otherwise available for upgrade.
That's the decision UA has made. GS instruments can be used on award tickets, too, so this hypothetical generous GS of yours could book a saver award ticket for a colleague, then upgrade it with an instrument. Considering that the going rate for GS seems to be $40K in UA spend or (sometimes much) higher, depending upon your location, I can see why UA wants to keep these customers happy.

Then consider that many GS are 1+ MM and they select a companion, and that companions instruments now have the same power, you have a situation worse than facebook.
Companions don't get certs automatically, so this really only applies to GS MM companions who reach 1K on their own. There's a good chance you haven't flown with one such person this year.

They took same status sponsorship away years ago for the rest of the program to prevent 1K from one-upping other 1Ks with the same. Benefits should be first and foremost for the traveler, and the benefit of upgrades is directly tied to inventory management.
Yes, they did; it was never a published benefit in the first place, but rather an accidental byproduct of the way pmCO's systems were built. The fact that they didn't make any changes for GS should tell you how UA feels about the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.