Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I believe A will be used for PP cabin, and most likely your current A booking will map to J or C.
Looks like my domestic "A" class mapped to "D"
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Covered extensively here -- mods, maybe worth forking out the thread? It's going to be a big deal with a lot of IT hiccups as we go forward.

eta. database migrations have commenced. I now have a segment in .
Upgraded "W" fare with GPU and segment now changed to United Polaris business (PZ) as well.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Covered extensively here -- mods, maybe worth forking out the thread? It's going to be a big deal with a lot of IT hiccups as we go forward.

eta. database migrations have commenced. I now have a segment in .
Upgraded "W" fare with GPU and segment now changed to United Polaris business (PZ) as well.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Okay PZ is showing up, as this morning.

Last edited by kb1992; Oct 20, 2018 at 4:42 am Reason: update
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
On the app, the F seats on my TPAC 772 flights have been replaced with orange squares that look like domestic F seats. On the web, they've just changed the red seats to orange -- same angled image and everything. I was able to select one at no charge, and it shows up as such on the web and the phone. No idea if it will stick. I'm 1K, so maybe it's done by status.

I still don't see PZ in Expert Mode. I won't lose hope for a while, although it seems if they could take old fare classes out, they could put new fare classes in just as easily...
i can select the old F seats too, both on my PNR and for my no-status travel companion on another PNR. I am going to wait until 8 CT to confirm them though—would rather not get booted and have current seat assignments lost.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Expert mode still shows PN and all the award classes.

I suggest we wait out the weekend before concluding that UA has decided to single out PZ as the fare class it will not display. This is clearly a work in progress.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Not sure if this is the right place to post about this but on both my upcoming flights, R became PZ and R/upgrade requested for the Polaris segments became PZ requested–no surprise

But CPU eligible legs with a GPU or an RPU applied became CPU eligible. Should I wait until after the dust settles this weekend to call and be sure the GPU/RPUs are still there or should I call now? I don't want to loose my place in the line. I applied those at time of ticketing, which in one case is over a month ago. Can they put me back in line in the right place if they've dropped off? FWIW, no GPUs or RPUs have been redeposited into my account, and that's usually quick in my experience for uncleared ones.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Expert mode still shows PN and all the award classes.

I suggest we wait out the weekend before concluding that UA has decided to single out PZ as the fare class it will not display. This is clearly a work in progress.
PZ now shows up for me at the very end of the fare list (after X) in expert mode.

jsloan, G702TT and goodeats21 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: UA GS
On the only former 3 class TATL reservation I have upcoming, I was able to successfully move into one of the old GF seats using the app (I’m GS on a Z fare). For my companion, who I upgraded into PN, I was not able to move on the app (it let me but then gave an error on submitting).

however, when I went to the web (mobile site) it let me move him into 1C.

im going to watch these like a hawk to see if they stick...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:42 am

No more booking classes F+A means no more 300% status miles credit with Miles&More ?

Originally Posted by prometa

I am also surprised they are remapping R. A and O are now unused. (I can see why they aren’t using F)

I have a domestic JN booking in a three-class 772 coming up. Guess I will be getting up in the wee hours of Saturday morning to see if I can move to former F, just in case.
Good morning,

This apparent change would make a big difference for pax flying United metal on a relatively cheap Lufthansa First Class Discount fare (Booking class A) ex Europe to - for example - Hawaii:

Until now, Lufthansa would credit to pax booked and ticketed in A 300 % of flown distance plus a 25% of flown distance Executive Bonus (HON, SEN, FTL) compared to a ticketed pax in booking class J who would only get 200% of flown distance plus the 25% of flown distance Executive Bonus. This means 33 % less status miles for Miles & More customers which can make status requalification impossible.

Did the UA bean counters find out, that UA paid too much to Miles & More for handing out relatively good credits for pax booked in A ?

Of course I am aware that booking class A had never secured a better seat - you always sit in the Domestic Business Class cabin. But availability last minute was way better in A than in booking classes J, C or D, specially on most popular routes.

Am I correct with this assumption - inputs are most welcome.

Cheers,
juan516.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
"PZ Class Requested" on my reservations as of this morning
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
What a terrible mess. Now my waitlist for 'O' SFO-LHR says 'waitlisted for 'J'. We'll see how it goes
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Using the app I'm able to switch to row 1 on 3-class 777 iad-sfo but it rejects my non status companion on the same pnr
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am seeing PZ across the board (confirmed upgrades, searches, even waitlisted, although some of the last are a total mess). Not going to touch anything this weekend. Fortunate to have the luxury of not needing to.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am just realizing the worst of all of this ... no more option to buy F, A on UA codeshares. No more buying LH F or LX F on a UA flight number ... this sucks big time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.