Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The real question is whether this makes it formally impossible to book three-cabin First as a UA codeshare (assuming answer is yes, not that carriers like to give UA codeshare F inventory anyway).
They have to keep O for partner F awards. Unless they're following DL and eliminating those.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
They have to keep O for partner F awards. Unless they're following DL and eliminating those.
Awards are native inventory though. I assume you can still plate LH F on an 016 ticket with the LH code, the change I expect is that you can no longer get it as the UA flight code. It's not a huge deal but might affect the ability to search for [paid] partner F on ua.com and move more F bookings to be by phone (for the very small minority of us who actually fly paid F).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no reason to start making assumptions like that. O will simply be P+ when on UA metal and F when on LH metal.

If you're really lucky, you'll have IRROPS and somebody will accidentally move you from UA O to LH O without thinking about it. (This actually happened to me on a P fare last year -- I was on NH P from NRT to BKK and the UA phone agent couldn't get it to stick, so she put me onto TG P instead. P is discount first on TG...).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no reason to start making assumptions like that. O will simply be P+ when on UA metal and F when on LH metal.
This is going to be messy.

If you're really lucky, you'll have IRROPS and somebody will accidentally move you from UA O to LH O without thinking about it.
More likely some agent will tell you your partner F award only entitles you to Premium Plus on UA
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is going to be messy.
I'm not saying it won't be messy, but there's no reason to make it out to be worse than necessary. There is already misalignment of fare classes all over the spectrum. This is just one more example.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Currently on top of the start page to buy tickets:

Due to system maintenance, seat maps and seat selection for most flights will be unavailable from approximately 5:00 p.m. (CT) on Friday, October 19, until 8:00 a.m. (CT) on Saturday, October 20. You can still purchase tickets, but you’ll need to select seats at a later time by visiting the Manage Reservations page.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Changes to Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Fare class system is down now until 8am tomorrow (ct I believe)

They are removing all the classes associated with International First and renaming others. One class I was told is BF upgrade class changing from R to PZ
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:09 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Interesting... I saw the warning message about seat maps and selection being unavailable, but you're right - all W fares are unavailable. I was doing an advanced search on for a GPU, and after 8pm the results no longer have any upgradable fares listed.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Covered extensively here -- mods, maybe worth forking out the thread? It's going to be a big deal with a lot of IT hiccups as we go forward.

eta. database migrations have commenced. I now have a segment in United Polaris business (PZ).

Last edited by findark; Oct 19, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:38 pm

UA IT decided 1am CT was not nearly enough time to make the change, and have extended the outage to 8am CT.

Currently, my 772 domestic 3-class booking shows "United First (D)" and my only seat options are in rows 1+2, but the system (as expected) refuses to confirm any seat choices. If only the system were slightly more broken...

P.S. SDC for my flight tomorrow is currently totally broken because one of the segments is in R, and no R inventory for any other flight is available.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:39 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Covered extensively here -- mods, maybe worth forking out the thread? It's going to be a big deal with a lot of IT hiccups as we go forward.

eta. database migrations have commenced. I now have a segment in United Polaris business (PZ).
I don't see anything in there about removing W during the changes...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver

Seems to be a batch process
Attached Images  
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Absolute
I don't see anything in there about removing W during the changes...
They're not removing W fares. The "search for ugpradeable fare," which never really worked all that well in the first place, is merely broken due to this change. You can search by fare class and you'll find W fares, just like always.

I'm not sure I'd be buying a ticket this weekend that I intended to upgrade, though.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like F/A are already gone on some flights.

Last edited by gokeeper; Oct 19, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:09 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

They're not removing W fares. The "search for ugpradeable fare," which never really worked all that well in the first place, is merely broken due to this change. You can search by fare class and you'll find W fares, just like always.
I'm happy it works for you, but if I specify a W fare class under advanced search, it shows no availability for "Requested fare class".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.