Mapping various -UP fares to J/C/D/P?

Old Jun 6, 19, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Mapping various -UP fares to J/C/D/P?

Is there a well defined mapping of what coach class fare buckets are mapped to which first class fare buckets when doing (domestic) -UP fares? (Assuming they're still even called that...)
Old Jun 6, 19, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ljwobker View Post
Is there a well defined mapping of what coach class fare buckets are mapped to which first class fare buckets when doing (domestic) -UP fares? (Assuming they're still even called that...)
It's defined by the fare. For example,VAP00UPN is a V that books into P. HAD00UPN is an H that books into D. If you have an EF subscription, you can see all the fares for a particular route.
Old Jun 6, 19, 10:45 pm

You can't really tell on domestic F just by the fare basis code (the only thing you really know is that it's a First Class fare due to the second to last character being an F). If you look in the Routing info for the fare on EF, it shows you the booking class. Looking at the various F fares, this seems to be consistent.

K/L/T basis = P (e.g. KAA2AQFN)
S/W/V basis = Z (e.g. WAA2KKFN)
Q/H/U basis = D (e.g. QAA2AFFN)
E/M/B/Y basis = C (e.g. EAA0AFFN)

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 6, 19 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. All the fare codes I see (at least for RDU-SFO) are not of the -UP format. I was bored and built out this (from expertflyer....)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

If you look, the price difference is consistent, as is the formatting... but it appears that Xliioper is right - you have to look individually into the routing codes to be sure. ;(
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
K/L/T basis = P (e.g. KAA2AQFN)
S/W/V basis = Z (e.g. WAA2KKFN)
Q/H/U basis = D (e.g. QAA2AFFN)
E/M/B/Y basis = C (e.g. EAA0AFFN)
Yes, the mapping is well-defined on domestic routes, and this is it. The relevant characters from the current domestic format are in first and seventh position, eg WAA2KKFN. W has a secondary inventory of W (and books into Z), and F indicates it is a First fare.

The last two characters together determine the class and type of fare:

BN, BS: Basic Economy (BS for specials)
DN, DS: Deep Discount Economy (DS for specials)
ER, EX: Deep Discount Economy, combines only with higher fares (cannot be combined with type DN, DS, ER, EX or Basic Economy, X for specials)
EN: Economy Restricted
EY: Economy Flexible
FN: First Restricted
FY: First Flexible

Last edited by findark; Jun 11, 19 at 3:34 pm
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Yes, the mapping is well-defined on domestic routes, and this is it. The relevant characters from the current domestic format are in first and seventh position, eg WAA2KKFN. W has a secondary inventory of W (and books into Z), and F indicates it is a First fare.
But there's no way (just by looking at the fare code) to know that it books into Z, rather than J or C or P... that's what I was hoping for.
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ljwobker View Post
But there's no way (just by looking at the fare code) to know that it books into Z, rather than J or C or P... that's what I was hoping for.
Yes, all domestic differential fares with a W inventory requirement will book into Z. This is not a law of the universe or anything, but it is currently true for all published fares.
Old Jun 18, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Can Z fare be a P-up?

I'm stuck in the airport trying to rebook because of an ATC delay and misconnect. I booked my trip all the way through in Z fare class. Yet the "Global Services" phone agent is claiming that she can only re-book me in economy because my fare is an "upgraded economy" fare. I understood that happens with P fares. Never heard of it with a Z. Also never heard of a GS agent refusing to re-book somebody who paid for first (p-up or otherwise) in first.
Old Jun 18, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Instant upgrade Dual inventory fares are available in all business/first class booking classes (except maybe J). It's pretty common to see them in P, Z, D, and C.

Having said that, you're entitled to be rebooked in the premium cabin. Some agents erroneously believe otherwise, and trying to convince them that they're wrong is usually an exercise in futility. Your best bet is to hang up and call back.

Last edited by Sykes; Jun 18, 19 at 4:37 pm Reason: They're not instant upgrade anymore, they're dual inventory.
Old Jun 18, 19, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Instant upgrade fares are available in all business/first class booking classes (except maybe J). It's pretty common to see them in P, Z, D, and C.

Having said that, you're entitled to be rebooked in the premium cabin. Some agents erroneously believe otherwise, and trying to convince them that they're wrong is usually an exercise in futility. Your best bet is to hang up and call back.
I hope United doesn't start this crap again with instant upgrades. You purchased a First (or Business) Class fare and that's what you should receive in irregular operations. It's bait and switch (IMHO) if they try to pull this scam on you. And I really can't believe a GS agent would do that to you. Hang up and call back.
wxguy, Kacee, findark and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
I hope United doesn't start this crap again with instant upgrades.
Yeah we haven't heard this garbage in quite a while. To echo prior comments, absolute nonsense. Two key points:
1. UP fares are premium cabin fares. There is no "upgrade" involved.
2. In IRROPS, there are no inventory restrictions; if you have a paid premium cabin fare, you are entitled to be rebooked in the premium cabin
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
1. UP fares are premium cabin fares. There is no "upgrade" involved.
"UP" is not "up"grade.

And then we wonder why there's so much confusion
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
"UP" is not "up"grade.

And then we wonder why there's so much confusion
I'm just a travel hobbyist, and I have no difficulty at all with the concept.

Understanding the basics of how UA's fares work is the core function of a United reservations agent. There is simply no excuse for this nonsense; especially not now, given that these fares, which have been around for a decade, comprise probably 99.9% of the domestic front cabin fares that United sells.
canadiancow and Miggles like this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Likely an inexperienced faux-GS agent
There have very few recent reports of this
Easier to HUACA then to fight
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:40 pm

Both DL and UA consider them true first class fares by the fare rules --

APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST/BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE.

Only AA still has the following language in their fare rules for discount domestic FC fares which might give them some wiggle room --

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS.
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: