Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The P fare change doesn't hurt me, but my company requires me to book the cheapest Y ticket. Most years I barely get to $12K spend. $15K will be very difficult. So 2018-2019 is probably going to be my last year as a 1K. It was a good run while it lasted.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Update: mileageplusupdates.com back online, changes are confirmed.
UAInsider posted thread started
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by zymm
I wonder what % of 1k this will demote? Anyway, welcome to Platinum everyone, it's like Gold, but with a slightly different atomic number!
I am likely to be one of them as only just made the PQD with $12,500 this year, although ended up spending another $1,000 for 10k PQM to get an extra 2 GPUs. It is not the PQMs that are the issue for me it is the PQD. So will enjoy 2019 as a 1K. 2020 will be a new ballgame. I am already Gold due to MM, and I was already somewhat agnostic on UA/*A but those extra $3k PQD will thin the ranks I think.

So already 79 for 2020 and likely will be 78! (Loved the atomic number reference)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Will GS have the same "enhancement" with resect to earning RPUs and GPUs?
wxguy likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Will GS have the same "enhancement" with resect to earning RPUs and GPUs?
Sure hope not..

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Appreciate the update information but it feels like a general downgrade for 1Ks.
The 1K-preboarding now makes a lot of sense...in the typical United sort of way:
"Give them an inch and take a mile away."

Also, regarding mileageplusupdates.com:"FAQs about upgrades

.... Premier status benefits continue to lead the industry in this regard as Premier members can earn unlimited upgrades."

One can maybe earn unlimited upgrades, however, the ability of them being successfully applied is very MUCH limited!
Silver Fox and PushingTin like this.

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
At least UA didn’t have the nerve to try and brand these as ‘enhancements’.

So 1Ks get to board faster to earn less while flying and less chance to requalify. Great changes! /sarcasm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
I'm not sure I'm going to make it this year yet but 15K for 2019 is very likely to be a bridge too far for me.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Can someone confirm the domestic economy baggage allowance for 1K members. One of the posts I read said “I cannot believe that United 1K members will no longer get 2 free bags when flying economy domestically”, but I cannot see that in the notes, The baggage note doesn’t seem to list what 1K members get.

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Very unlikely to spend $15K and now that P fares won't earn 2x, 100K PQM is a tough deal too.

I'll make 2MM in 2019 or 20 and will deal with lifetime plat. No incentive to go out of my way to book UA unless the P fare is low or the schedule is good.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000"

Who could've predicted this?

Does look like UA is putting some gap between 1K and other premiers (spend requirement, food/booze in coach, pre-boardng). Definitely appears "good news" boarding policy was implemented purposely just ahead of the "bad news" increased spend requirement that is going to affect marginal 1Ks.

If one is a marginal 1K now struggling to meet $12K, the math is getting bad in terms of benefits. An extra $3000 to pre-board isn't much value.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 28, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The baggage changes eliminate yet another (albeit small) difference between Plat and Gold. I wonder if they're thinking of phasing out Plat?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

How about requiring those with overseas address to hit PQD targets just like your core customer base are required?

AA and DL doesn’t waive spend requirements for overseas customers.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Can someone confirm the domestic economy baggage allowance for 1K members. One of the posts I read said “I cannot believe that United 1K members will no longer get 2 free bags when flying economy domestically”, but I cannot see that in the notes, The baggage note doesn’t seem to list what 1K members get...
I would assume if there's no change listed here in that regard, then there is no change..
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by golfingboy
How about requiring those with overseas address to hit PQD targets just like your core customer base are required?
"The PQD waiver for international members remains in place. There will continue to be no PQD waiver for U.S. members for Premier 1K status."
golfingboy and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.