Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I agree that gmt4's advice is the right path to follow.
I booked a P fare well before September 28 and communicated with MP customer service via email as to getting credit advertised on the website at the time of purchase.
They responded positively that I would get the 200% credit but that I would have to contact them as soon as my flights were credited.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
The PQMs for my recently completed pre-Sep-2018 purchased P-fare itinerary posted with the 150% accrual rate. Interestingly, both the PQDs and RDMs posted were incorrect (too low). I submitted a request to MP per the suggestions above and got a response about an hour later. They will correct the posted PQDs and RDMs, and credit the 200% accrual on the United flights only. My return flights were on LX. Part of the agent's response:
"Yes, since the ticket was purchased prior to the change regarding P class accruals, I'll request an additional xxxx PQM be added to this flight. We're permitted to request this adjustment for United flights only. Please allow 7-10 days for the adjustment to appear with the flight."
I'm a little disappointed about the LX PQMs, not sure why they can't adjust those too. Anybody else had the same or different treatment? Oh well.

PS. The original outbound flight was cancelled about a month after purchase (still before the Sep announcement), and I rescheduled for a day earlier with no charge. I wonder if the fare was lower at that time and that's why the posted PQDs and RDMs were too low.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
After pushing a bit I got all my LX segments posted.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:18 am

Even if purchased prior to September 28, does it matter if the P fare was purchased through a partner and flown on a partner but being credited to MP to get the bump to 200% from the 150% that was posted?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Even if purchased prior to September 28, does it matter if the P fare was purchased through a partner and flown on a partner but being credited to MP to get the bump to 200% from the 150% that was posted?
Only segments on UA metal are honoring the purchase-date crediting. UA already has a precedent of ex post changes to partner earnings, so they figure you should be prepared
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
After pushing a bit I got all my LX segments posted.
What sort of "pushing"? Thanks
Not sure the approx. 3K PQM would make any difference to my situation.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
What sort of "pushing"? Thanks
Not sure the approx. 3K PQM would make any difference to my situation.
Just kept on emailing 1K voice until I got everything. It took maybe 3 emails, but I also had to get the miles for two other family members.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:36 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm finding it ... interesting under the new system. I'm looking at well over 75k PQM by the end of April, but only $5k PQD in that timeframe. Yes, I will have taken two fairly cheap TPACs which tend to skew those numbers (the latter booked in PE, so with 150% earnings), but even with domestic Z fares booked to replace the loss of P fare PDM, I seem to be racking up miles without as much spend as usual. I suppose this may mean I will have some additional GPUs in 2020...

All of this has me wondering if I am going to have to book a couple of paid J flights to Europe or Asia in the fall just to hit PQD targets that were never an issue when they were just $3k lower in years past.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Only segments on UA metal are honoring the purchase-date crediting. UA already has a precedent of ex post changes to partner earnings, so they figure you should be prepared
I don't think so. There are plenty of reports in this thread & I have gotten my LX flights adjusted as well. Didn't even have to push, they gave the extra PQMs without hesitation.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm finding it ... interesting under the new system. I'm looking at well over 75k PQM by the end of April, but only $5k PQD in that timeframe. Yes, I will have taken two fairly cheap TPACs which tend to skew those numbers (the latter booked in PE, so with 150% earnings), but even with domestic Z fares booked to replace the loss of P fare PDM, I seem to be racking up miles without as much spend as usual. I suppose this may mean I will have some additional GPUs in 2020...

All of this has me wondering if I am going to have to book a couple of paid J flights to Europe or Asia in the fall just to hit PQD targets that were never an issue when they were just $3k lower in years past.
I will be over 100k in PQM but just a tad over $9k in PQD by the end of July. I will have the CC waiver for Platinum (and am already lifetime gold) so the spend is irrelevant except for 1K. So normally would have met the 1K spend but this year additional $6k spend will be determined by successful use of the GPUs. Was only able to use 7 out of 8 last year and waiting for #8 to take on a flight for next weel otherwise it will be wasted. I also read yesterday no copay is needed when using miles to upgrade to PP. What I need to spend in PQD would be more than what I need for TODs for the TPAC/TATL red eye flights which is when I want the lie flat seats...

Agree, interesting under the new system...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I will be over 100k in PQM but just a tad over $9k in PQD by the end of July. ... this year additional $6k spend will be determined by successful use of the GPUs.
I'm always a little surprised by comments like this. Starting in August, are you exclusively flying routes where you would rather not choose Star Alliance (or 016 tickets)? Normally I would assume whatever led you to fly 100k PQM in the first half of the year would continue to have you flying on UA.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:03 pm

I will be over 100k in PQM but just a tad over $9k in PQD by the end of July. I will have the CC waiver for Platinum (and am already lifetime gold) so the spend is irrelevant except for 1K. So normally would have met the 1K spend but this year additional $6k spend will be determined by successful use of the GPUs. Was only able to use 7 out of 8 last year and waiting for #8 to take on a flight for next weel otherwise it will be wasted. I also read yesterday no copay is needed when using miles to upgrade to PP. What I need to spend in PQD would be more than what I need for TODs for the TPAC/TATL red eye flights which is when I want the lie flat seats...

Agree, interesting under the new system...
really? TOd on TPACs are usually pretty expensive.

also a 7/8 clearance rate on GPU is amazing and I’d be thrilled if that was my rate.

i also have no issue with thinning the herd at 1k.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
I'm always a little surprised by comments like this. Starting in August, are you exclusively flying routes where you would rather not choose Star Alliance (or 016 tickets)? Normally I would assume whatever led you to fly 100k PQM in the first half of the year would continue to have you flying on UA.
My flying for the second half will likely only be around another 20k-40k miles and to some places where UA does not fly. I am a value buyer as you see by my stats so would normally only cost me $3k-$4k for the additional flights. I have to make a decision to spend more than usual on a flight to make the PQD and at this stage I am not sure of the value in doing so. It is my money not other people's money so perhaps I take a more frugal response than others.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
My flying for the second half will likely only be around another 20k-40k miles and to some places where UA does not fly. I am a value buyer as you see by my stats so would normally only cost me $3k-$4k for the additional flights. I have to make a decision to spend more than usual on a flight to make the PQD and at this stage I am not sure of the value in doing so. It is my money not other people's money so perhaps I take a more frugal response than others.
Lets say you finish the year at 120k miles and $12k PQD. Just enough for 1K.

Would you spend $3k for 6 GPU and 2 RPU? That's $500 per GPU, or just about the price of a co-pay from economy to business. I was initially ready to say Aussienarelle was not doing the analysis correct, but... I can certainly see how the ability to use GPU would strongly factor into such a decision. If a 1K can't use them iup, then they are *maybe* better off using miles+$$ instead. Paying for an UG on the day is going to be considerably more expensive (>>$500), however, the miles and copay will be as a plat -- which I do not see as particularly advantageous unless there is a large amount of flexibility since the priority will be lower.

One *good* thing to consider: Would you be willing to spend $3k and fly another 5k miles for 7 GPU? That changes the calculus quite a bit in favor of the GPU.. as long as you think they are usable.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Michilander
Wrote to MP about getting the 200% adjustment on a pre-Sept 28 P fare after the outbound leg. Got told to pound sand, just before being told how much my business is valued; the irony almost surely lost on the sender. Will wait until we complete the return leg and try calling.
Originally Posted by gmt4
Write again after your trip is complete and all the mileage/PQD/etc posts. Give the travel details and your MP info (also for companions if applicable) and include the verbiage (toward the beginning of this thread) where a UA rep said they would honor the 200% P fare purchases. You simply got a bad agent. I've had 100% success in getting proper credit for my P fares for myself and travel companions. Issue was handled in about a day or so each time.
Meant to follow up on this. Did write back after completing the flight, and included pointers to several articles in this thread. This time, no problem. Miles we posted within a day. Thanks, gmt4!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.