Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It’s supposed to connote some sort of elite status; it doesn’t.
No, it's a marketing program that's supposed to drive business to United. You're buying into a myth.

If your expectation is for UA -- or any airline -- to attempt to trim its rolls of its frequent travelers, you're going to find yourself perpetually disappointed. UA's goal is for there to be as many 1Ks as they can afford to support, and for them to be as profitable as possible.

The reason not to award it to everyone isn't that it matters or doesn't matter; it's that the program is designed to elicit this exact emotional response. UA wants people to spend lots of money on their flights, so they attempt to make people feel special for doing so.
rankourabu, AirbusFan2B and leoo like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA wants people to spend lots of money on their flights, so they attempt to make people feel special for doing so.
I do feel more and more "special" spending money flying with UA.....but not in a good way!

By 30th of June I won't have 50% of what I need to make 1K this year with the current requirements (first time in 10 years or so).
But I will run out of GPUs in a few months and will need to book "P" fares instead of "W" like I have been for the first half of the year, so I am still confident to just squeeze in by 31st December, despite the 150% vs. 200% being quite critical.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Over the past few weeks, I’ve started thinking that there are way too many 1K’s—there’s an over abundance of GS too, but that’s a different issue.

I hope the new $15k PQD culls the herd. If not, I’d be in favor of them pushing the PQD higher, though I’d really like all revenue sources (change fees, fare differences, upgrade charges, etc.) to be included in the tally.

I suppose it’s the newly instituted pre-boarding that highlights just how many 1K’s there are. On some flights between SFO and LAX there are as many as two dozen.

Am I alone in thinking that there are just too many 1K’s?
Ummm... seriously? In 2019 you just had the epiphany that there are too many 1Ks?

And you hope the $15K PQD "culls the heard?" If memory serves me correctly, many on FT believed that when UA originally implemented PQDs and set it at @$12K and didn't allow credit card waiver to exempt the PQD requirement, that it would "cull the heard." And that by not crediting PQDs on alliance tickets like both Delta and AA allow, that it would "cull the herd."

How's all the herd culling workin' out?

Regards
Old May 8, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... seriously? In 2019 you just had the epiphany that there are too many 1Ks?

And you hope the $15K PQD "culls the heard?" If memory serves me correctly, many on FT believed that when UA originally implemented PQDs and set it at @$12K and didn't allow credit card waiver to exempt the PQD requirement, that it would "cull the heard." And that by not crediting PQDs on alliance tickets like both Delta and AA allow, that it would "cull the herd."

How's all the herd culling workin' out?

Regards
Well Thanos isn't here to snap his fingers and "cull" half the GS and 1Ks
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If memory serves me correctly, many on FT believed that when UA originally implemented PQDs and set it at @$12K and didn't allow credit card waiver to exempt the PQD requirement, that it would "cull the heard."
Nope -- it was when they implemented PQDs at $10K. . Then, again, when they increased it to $12K.

I still maintain it's a false premise, though. If you're not seeing the benefit of being a 1K, it's not because UA is providing 1K benefits to too many other customers. It's because they're selling the premium cabin, thus reducing the number of upgrades they're awarding to anybody.
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you're not seeing the benefit of being a 1K, it's not because UA is providing 1K benefits to too many other customers. It's because they're selling the premium cabin, thus reducing the number of upgrades they're awarding to anybody.
The number of 1Ks (and at SFO it feels extremely high - 1K pre-boarding groups of 30+ common) is an indicator of both demand for UA's product and the intensity of competition for what few upgrades there are. And agree - I gave up on feeling "special" long ago
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The number of 1Ks (and at SFO it feels extremely high - 1K pre-boarding groups of 30+ common) is an indicator of both demand for UA's product and the intensity of competition for what few upgrades there are.
I have no doubt the number of 1K and GS are dramatically higher than just a few years ago. It wasn't that many years ago that even Gold members could regularly complimentary upgrade to F on HNL-SFO with smaller F cabins. If I don't buy F outright, I'm often 10+ on the upgrade list....
Old May 8, 2019, 11:52 am

Nope -- it was when they implemented PQDs at $10K. . Then, again, when they increased it to $12K.
Good point, I sort of thought that but could not remember for sure and didn't want to misstate, but you are correct.

I still maintain it's a false premise, though. If you're not seeing the benefit of being a 1K, it's not because UA is providing 1K benefits to too many other customers. It's because they're selling the premium cabin, thus reducing the number of upgrades they're awarding to anybody.
I don't completely agree with you on this one though. There are some benefits that are indeed "finite" not "infinite." Even something as simple as the elite counter at check-in; as the number of elites continues to grow those lines grow longer and thus less useful. Or club access which is a privilege of elite status (not just 1K and GS), clubs are not infinite in size and thus the more that become eligible through status attainment, the more chaotic and less enjoyable the club/lounge experience becomes.

And then yes, even upgrades. Sure, all of the US3 are more aggressively monetizing the front of the cabin, but nonetheless, there are still folks that get upgrades on most flights; less than before of of course, but those still exist and thus increased elite populations make that all the harder.

So, when you are talking about finite, physical space type things, I think its a little naive to pretend that minting out more and more elites every year has zero impact on "the system." As the saying goes, if everyone is special, nobody is special...

Now, all that said, for the most part, I don't care that much. My wife and have been adopting the "if you can't beat them join them" mode of operation and we just pretty much buy the seat we want. So now, we just often buy the seat that people in these forums spend hours refreshing their app and compulsively checking the seat maps over, while desperately hoping to "clear."

Regards
mmack and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even something as simple as the elite counter at check-in; as the number of elites continues to grow those lines grow longer and thus less useful. Or club access which is a privilege of elite status (not just 1K and GS), clubs are not infinite in size and thus the more that become eligible through status attainment, the more chaotic and less enjoyable the club/lounge experience becomes.
These are general capacity issues that aren't really solvable, though. As long as air travel keeps increasing year-over-year, while the number of airports we have is essentially static, you're going to get more and more travelers with status, wherever you set the bar.

And then yes, even upgrades. Sure, all of the US3 are more aggressively monetizing the front of the cabin, but nonetheless, there are still folks that get upgrades on most flights; less than before of of course, but those still exist and thus increased elite populations make that all the harder.
Same argument; it's not "oh, there are too many 1Ks, so I don't get upgraded." It's "Oh, there are too many air travelers in general." Moving category lines around doesn't change very much -- if you're not getting CPUs now, you probably won't under any other alternative system either.

So, when you are talking about finite, physical space type things, I think its a little naive to pretend that minting out more and more elites every year has zero impact on "the system." As the saying goes, if everyone is special, nobody is special...
Again, it's very route-specific. If you fly ORD-SFO and back all the time, you're going to see a lot of travelers with status. If you fly DFW-DEN-MFR, you might clear an upgrade as a Gold on a regular basis.

Now, all that said, for the most part, I don't care that much. My wife and have been adopting the "if you can't beat them join them" mode of operation and we just pretty much buy the seat we want.
And that's certainly your right; I just don't find there to be much value in paying for domestic F -- especially when I can frequently get it for free. And the thing I care most about and am willing to pay for -- extra legroom -- UA gives me for free.

E+ access is actually the primary reason I've stuck with UA -- they're normally much cheaper than their competition once I factor that in.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I have no doubt the number of 1K and GS are dramatically higher than just a few years ago. It wasn't that many years ago that even Gold members could regularly complimentary upgrade to F on HNL-SFO with smaller F cabins. If I don't buy F outright, I'm often 10+ on the upgrade list....
I think the changing numbers of 1K/GSs has far less of an impact on the # of CPU upgrades to Hawaii than right sizing cabins (more 738/9s now than 753/retired 752s), right-pricing F, and HoDs. There (IMHO) are far fewer CPU seats available nowadays. It's gotten to the point I (a 1K) often buy round-trips out of Maui with 1 leg an F fare, the other coach that I know (or think) will clear. I'm even using GPUs/RPUs now. A couple of years ago, I'd be wasting 'em between the West Coast and Hawaii because 1K CPUs used to be (outside of Saturdays) a gimme.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Over the past few weeks, I’ve started thinking that there are way too many 1K’s—there’s an over abundance of GS too, but that’s a different issue.

I hope the new $15k PQD culls the herd. If not, I’d be in favor of them pushing the PQD higher, though I’d really like all revenue sources (change fees, fare differences, upgrade charges, etc.) to be included in the tally.

I suppose it’s the newly instituted pre-boarding that highlights just how many 1K’s there are. On some flights between SFO and LAX there are as many as two dozen.

Am I alone in thinking that there are just too many 1K’s?
There are definitely too many 1K's at SFO. i'm hoping the 15K spend will help that a little.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jasonp622
There are definitely too many 1K's at SFO. i'm hoping the 15K spend will help that a little.
Why do you think that the previous $12K spend didn't help when it was lifted from $10K previously? And why do you think that the $10K in PQDs didn't help when it was originally created from zero PQDs prior to that? Why do you think it didn't help when alliance/partner tickets not booked on UA ticket stock were disallowed from counting towards PQDs, even though DL and AA both still allow spend credit for those same type of tickets?

Why, in spite of all the previous evidence to the contrary, do you believe that now, this year, all the sudden, raising the bar by a mere $3K will magically solve this problem?

Regards
Old May 8, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why, in spite of all the previous evidence to the contrary, do you believe that now, this year, all the sudden, raising the bar by a mere $3K will magically solve this problem?
In fact, isn't it just as likely to exacerbate the "problem"? If people are motivated by these levels -- and I know that I have been in the past -- and they raise the target, it's entirely possible that people will travel more in response. Thus, your average flight could have more 1Ks than it did before.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Just gotta say, it's a crying shame how not only did UA increase the PQD's needed to require for 1K, but also the fact that the annual RPU allowance has been reduced drastically. This will not increase the amount of full fare tickets purchased by it's highest paying clients. It's going to cause an exodus toward DL and its more user friendly policies.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrGood
It's going to cause an exodus toward DL and its more user friendly policies.
Huh?
UA will still offer a 1K 4 RPUs plus 6+ GPUs, and they publish an inventory bucket so you can tell whether or not they'll clear.
DL choices at Diamond include 4 GPUs or 8 RPUs or 2 GPUs and 4 RPUs, and they do not publish an inventory bucket.

How is that more user friendly?
chavala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.