Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I used my 4 RPUs for 2018, then grabbed and used my wife's 2 RPUs for 2018 (she does not really fly domestic), then used the 2 RPUs I already got for 2019, then grabbed and used my wife's 2 RPUs for 2019. I do tend to use them on 2 hours flights. Maybe I would have been upgraded with the CPU and my RPUs were waisted but this year I did not clear any CPU (I can be number 1 on the gate list with First Class seats still available but they disappear under me by passengers purchasing the upgrade or passengers transferring to my flight even just 5 minutes before boarding). The only meaningful RPU usage was ORD-LAX. But I don't do too many of those long domestic flights.

I used my 6 GPUs but I gave half to my wife.
After 300 posts, yours is the first where the 1K successfully used all the RPUs on him/herself. Everyone else either has them go unused or they upgrade F&F. I think UA neither intends them to be useless nor used only for non-elites. .
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Any Difference in Award Inventory, 1K vs Plat?

Does anyone know if there is any advantage that 1Ks enjoy over Plats in finding *A award travel in J and F?

Originally Posted by prometa

After 300 posts, yours is the first where the 1K successfully used all the RPUs on him/herself. Everyone else either has them go unused or they upgrade F&F. I think UA neither intends them to be useless nor used only for non-elites. .
I am another who used all of my RPUs (8 this year), but I did use one for one of my contractors.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I’ve managed to use every single one every year for the past 6 years, but my allocation only runs 4-6/year.

If upgrade space ticks up, it’s not going to be because of a thinned 1K herd, it’s going be because of GSs having fewer instruments clearing into RN, and fewer instuments to compete against from other high-mileage flyers.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Its applicability depends on whether you think UA's customer spending is elastic or inelastic. I believe it is somewhat elastic. Of course, I may be wrong, but I also don't think I am. We can each speak from our own perspective, though.
Some people will stretch and UA will happily take that marginal revenue. Whether that's the primary goal of this change is debatable IMO.

Originally Posted by exerda
My GPU-able routes have done fine, albeit with later-clearing than I would sometimes like (much less at-booking R available IME). However, I have cleared not a single RPU-supported segment this year (0-4 IIRC). Domestic flights seem to be where my RPUs go to die.
That's why I mentioned availability uptick on GPU only routes and specifically excluded ps and widebodies to Hawaii. Those are still RPU graveyards.

I have recently cleared DCA-SFO, and HNL-SFO on the 753 has recently become the easiest upgrade you can imagine. So I'm suddenly burning RPUs.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Count me in as someone who has always given my extra RPUs to friends and family. And if they don't extend 2 GPUs again this year (fingers crossed), then those will go too.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

i would encourage all the GS in this forum to write in ask for RPUs to be continued post 100K PQM mark. I will write in but a group voice counts more.
Agreed. Done.
iluv2fly and benewr like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I’ve managed to use every single one every year for the past 6 years, but my allocation only runs 4-6/year.

If upgrade space ticks up, it’s not going to be because of a thinned 1K herd, it’s going be because of GSs having fewer instruments clearing into RN, and fewer instuments to compete against from other high-mileage flyers.
I too have been able to use my RPUs - generally on me but occasionally on friends and family. I value GPUs more highly than RPUs but then I travel internationally a fair bit. I have been 100% on GPUs and RPUs the last few years. For 2018 I am waiting on one more GPU to come through and I will be 8/8 this year. However, I am also someone that compares the fare buckets: W vs K+co-pay. Of course W counts for PQD and co-pay does not. With the new PQD requirement 2019 will likely be my last year of W fares.

Interested to see if UG space does become more available - I actually think UA is going to continue the UG at the gate so the Polaris lounges essentially are only available to those who purchase the Polaris fares.
tryathlete likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
After 300 posts, yours is the first where the 1K successfully used all the RPUs on him/herself.
Last year I used every RPU I had except 1 (out of maybe a dozen).
This year I've already used every RPU earned last year (12 of them, with over half of those on p.s. routes)

In every case, the RPUs were used on flights that were at least 3-4 hours long, not wasted on shorter flights.

And I've currently got 12 more (soon to be 14) expiring in 2020, and expect to use every one of them...

Dropping back to a maximum of 4 is a real hit.
benewr likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I too have been able to use my RPUs - generally on me but occasionally on friends and family. I value GPUs more highly than RPUs but then I travel internationally a fair bit. I have been 100% on GPUs and RPUs the last few years. For 2018 I am waiting on one more GPU to come through and I will be 8/8 this year. However, I am also someone that compares the fare buckets: W vs K+co-pay. Of course W counts for PQD and co-pay does not. With the new PQD requirement 2019 will likely be my last year of W fares.

Interested to see if UG space does become more available - I actually think UA is going to continue the UG at the gate so the Polaris lounges essentially are only available to those who purchase the Polaris fares.
That is a serious point of contention for me. Lounge access not available to upgrades is an insult to the whole idea of Polaris.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I used my 4 RPUs for 2018, then grabbed and used my wife's 2 RPUs for 2018 (she does not really fly domestic), then used the 2 RPUs I already got for 2019, then grabbed and used my wife's 2 RPUs for 2019. I do tend to use them on 2 hours flights. Maybe I would have been upgraded with the CPU and my RPUs were waisted but this year I did not clear any CPU (I can be number 1 on the gate list with First Class seats still available but they disappear under me by passengers purchasing the upgrade or passengers transferring to my flight even just 5 minutes before boarding). The only meaningful RPU usage was ORD-LAX. But I don't do too many of those long domestic flights.

I used my 6 GPUs but I gave half to my wife.
I typically use mine on 2 hour flights, as that's all that seems to clear (last year, used them on IAD-MCO and IAD-TPA and v-v, which likely would be CPUs anyway). At least that way, they don't go totally to waste.

My 0-fers are on transcons, including off-days like Wednesdays, sadly. 2 GPU'd domestic segments failed on transcons, and 4 RPUs, all but one on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Currently sitting on 6 RPUs (all 4 of last year's plus my first 2 for this year).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by tryathlete

That is a serious point of contention for me. Lounge access not available to upgrades is an insult to the whole idea of Polaris.
Oh I get the Polaris access if the UG occurred before the gate, and on the connecting flights. Usually because I book quite far in advance. However, I am noticing more and more UGs at the gate and no Polaris access if your BP is not Polaris even if you are on the UG list. Although that would be a nice benefit - on the UG list, UG does not come through but have access to the Polaris lounge.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
If UA demotes lifetime 1MM from gold to silver, I will never set foot on a UA aircraft again.

I will step foot on UA aircraft as long as it takes to burn my accumulated FF miles.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 30, 2018 at 2:38 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
However, I am noticing more and more UGs at the gate and no Polaris access if your BP is not Polaris even if you are on the UG list. Although that would be a nice benefit - on the UG list, UG does not come through but have access to the Polaris lounge.
Then the Polaris Lounges would be packed and there would be complaints about that.

Some flights could have 20 passengers on the upgrade list and be already totally sold out in Polaris Business. Adds to the numbers.
chavala and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 30, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Then the Polaris Lounges would be packed and there would be complaints about that.

Some flights could have 20 passengers on the upgrade list and be already totally sold out in Polaris Business. Adds to the numbers.
Right, some of those on the lists are non-revenue. UA could filter out those who are non-rev, golds, plat, etc. from this benefit. Like others have added, many are already buying up to a higher fare for the CHANCE of upgrades anyways.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have used 10 RPUs so far this year, for myself and traveling companions. So under the new system six allocated upgrade seats that I used would have been available to others (assuming no change in inventory). So I think it will be easier to get RPUs to clear, especially late in the year when lots of people are trying to use up their expiring ones.

I think the key reason to increase the PQD threshhold to $15k is because 6 GPUs is simply too large a “rebate” to provide to customers spending only $12k. If you are able to use them - which I have - they are still an exceptional benefit. AA reduced their “rebate” in the form of systemwide upgrades for EXPs from 8 to 4. I am glad United chose to increase the PQD requirement instead of reducing the number of GPUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.