Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I appreciate the OP’s enthusiasm, but the SW approach to boarding doesn’t appeal to everyone. I personally don’t mind it much when I fly SW, but I don’t have a problem with UA’s approach, in fact I still prefer it.
Whatever its merits, the key difference is SW doesn't have elites who board early (other than those who pay the fee to get a better space in line).

UA's issue if any is how to order people based on status and/or cabin. Ordering within those groups isn't really critical and seems unlikely to enhance efficiency.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by leonidas
r make a checked bag free..
Contingent upon not having an overhead carryon
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Is there an App that will automatically check you in at 24 hours? And send you a text or other alert if upgrades are available? This would avoid some of the angst...
UA had this as an option at one time and deleted -- apparently too many complaints.
Auto Check-In is Gone

Doing this would require you providing your login to a third party -- which has led to UA account beaches after the third party was hacked.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:43 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, I don’t like having so many ‘pre-boarding’ groups that don’t have numbers. Makes no sense. The small ones aren’t a big deal - disability, kids 2 and under make sense, and maybe GS. But now putting 1K in a new non-numbered pre-boarding group doesn’t make sense. Also doesn’t make sense with the boarding lanes just for group 1-2 and 3+.

The small boarding groups - military, disabilities and those needing extra time and those with younger kids make sense for the most part. GS maybe somewhat, but now 1K. At hubs with high enough elite counts, half the plane or more must board before they even call group 1. Good Heavens.

Everyone should have a boarding group number - even if they rename the boarding groups to 1a (disability), 1b (military), 1c...whatever it is. But to have GS and now 1K board before group 1 does nothing - unless you’re of the opinion that GS and 1K need their egos pumped up a little more during boarding (many don’t need it).

I would rather have them go back to groups 1-9, or whatever it was, then have 5 pre-boarding groups.

And also, one of the biggest issues is the spacing between calling the groups. When you call for folks with disabilities and wheelchairs, and folks who need more time - don’t follow that announcement for group 1 (or whatever) less than 30 seconds later. I’ve seen this too many times to count when they’re bringing, say, wheelchairs down, or someone walking slowly with a cane who clearly Is going to need more time to board. This only causes a line to form on the jet bridge (and the inevitable action of a contractor trying to wheel out the chair through a pack of elites who are rushing to be first to sit down for some reason that I don’t fully understand.

while we’re on the subject - can’t you note a pre-board designation when it is warranted. When I’m traveling with my < year old kid - I need the extra time - coming on with a gate checked stroller, diaper bag, etc. takes more time. You know I don’t need to be in group 1 or 2 or whatever it is anymore because the system clearly knows I have a child traveling with me. For those with wheelchairs, they know you’re going to need to board ahead of your group [whatever]. How hard is it for the system to designate that when it’s clear?
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ckidder331
Thoughts???
Passengers are not self-loading cargo...

SL
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Is there an App that will automatically check you in at 24 hours? And send you a text or other alert if upgrades are available? This would avoid some of the angst...

Not that I know of, I have a calendar alert 24 hours ahead of every flight

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:42 am Reason: Attribution added
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
When I’m traveling with my < year old kid - I need the extra time - coming on with a gate checked stroller, diaper bag, etc. takes more time. You know I don’t need to be in group 1 or 2 or whatever it is anymore because the system clearly knows I have a child traveling with me. ...
For domestic travel there is no indication you are traveling with a lapchild. No requirement for a lapchild ticket nor pre-notification to UA you have a lapchild.

For those with wheelchairs, they know you’re going to need to board ahead of your group [whatever]. How hard is it for the system to designate that when it’s clear?
Many folks just wait until arriving at the airport to request a wheelchair including their need for them at connecting airports.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Call everyone by name to board. Simple. This thread can be closed.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Call everyone by name to board. Simple. This thread can be closed.
In alphabetical order. My surname begins with B so I’ll be fine.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For domestic travel there is no indication you are traveling with a lapchild. No requirement for a lapchild ticket nor pre-notification to UA you have a lapchild.
Ive always added mine to the reservation when booking, or called that in shortly after. But my understanding is that even though on domestic flights, a lapchild doesn’t need a ticket, they still need to be added to the PNR. Is this not the case? So you’d still need to do that at check in. Isn’t that why the app and web site asks if you are traveling with a lap child when you check in (unless that’s changed - it usually asks me) when im not. Or can someone just walk into a flight with a kid without having a carrier know about it all?

IMO, would solve a lot of issues if you were required to do it - would be easy to avoid seating mishaps (since there are different requirements on different planes (ie ER4 only have 4 rows you can pick, CR2/7 can only select C/D seats, etc.), block exit row seats (already done with kids on a reservation), allow free E+ selection online for bassinet use on international flights, etc. isn’t there also weight and balance issues if they don’t have the lap infant data?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:17 am

Ive always added mine to the reservation when booking, or called that in shortly after. But my understanding is that even though on domestic flights, a lapchild doesn’t need a ticket, they still need to be added to the PNR. Is this not the case? So you’d still need to do that at check in. Isn’t that why the app and web site asks if you are traveling with a lap child when you check in (unless that’s changed - it usually asks me) when im not. Or can someone just walk into a flight with a kid without having a carrier know about it all?....
This is what UA states
Children under the age of 2 traveling with a parent or with a customer 15 years or older within the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands can travel on the adult's lap free of charge. If there are two or more children under the age of 2 traveling with the same adult, only one of the children may travel as a lap child. Any additional children are required to have tickets for their own seats. Children under 2 traveling internationally (including to Canada, Guam and Mexico) without a seat are required to have a purchased ticket and are subject to infant fares and taxes. When making your reservation, you should indicate that you are traveling with an infant, regardless of your destination.
Note it is should, not must.
No doing it can create issues on seating, etc but I believe many do not bother.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA, AS
Include me in the folks that think charging for checked bags is a bunch or the problem...law of unintended consequences.

But it gets worse for United. If you have the credit card, it is only good for you and one companion. Alaska for example, is good for six companions, Delta, everyone on the reservation.

Last year, we went with a party of four across the US to Disney World, where WDW collects your bags for you. Not only that, one of us was just turning four, so his hands weren't super reliable. Promptly after getting to the gate, I gave them a couple bags and said "here." They checked them, knowing they always have a problem. That is how ludicrous it has become...everyone knows there is a problem with OH space. You can offer at check in to help with the problem, but it will only cost you $30.

Oh and kids need extra time. My sister has three four or under and often travels without my BIL. She says it takes her until she gets on at the start until when everyone else is situated to get her kids situated with seat, snacks, seat belts, books....everything to help mitigate their discomfort and by extension the discomfort of others.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
Include me in the folks that think charging for checked bags is a bunch or the problem...law of unintended consequences.

But it gets worse for United. If you have the credit card, it is only good for you and one companion. Alaska for example, is good for six companions, Delta, everyone on the reservation.

Last year, we went with a party of four across the US to Disney World, where WDW collects your bags for you. Not only that, one of us was just turning four, so his hands weren't super reliable. Promptly after getting to the gate, I gave them a couple bags and said "here." They checked them, knowing they always have a problem. That is how ludicrous it has become...everyone knows there is a problem with OH space. You can offer at check in to help with the problem, but it will only cost you $30.

Oh and kids need extra time. My sister has three four or under and often travels without my BIL. She says it takes her until she gets on at the start until when everyone else is situated to get her kids situated with seat, snacks, seat belts, books....everything to help mitigate their discomfort and by extension the discomfort of others.
Southwest is free for checked bags, but the few flights I’ve taken I see the bins full before the end boarding. Fee’s for checked bags don’t help, but apparently not charging doesn’t fix the problem either.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Agreed that overhead space anxiety is the primary driver of boarding chaos these days. That being said -- don't be so quick to blame bag fees. The wait at baggage claim and potential for loss/delay with checked bags are also a significant factors that drive people to take large bags on the plane with them -- perhaps equally as much as or more so than the fees. Think of all the F and status customers who take large bags onto the planes that could otherwise have been checked for free...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by onthesam
Agreed that overhead space anxiety is the primary driver of boarding chaos these days. That being said -- don't be so quick to blame bag fees. The wait at baggage claim and potential for loss/delay with checked bags are also a significant factors that drive people to take large bags on the plane with them -- perhaps equally as much as or more so than the fees. Think of all the F and status customers who take large bags onto the planes that could otherwise have been checked for free...
So maybe my forced bag check for everyone idea isn’t so bad. Either suck it up and deal with it, or don’t fly.😄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.